Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
I’ve never purchased anything thinking about how I’m going to make a warranty claim, but whatevs! If you blow it up a month after owning it because you put in 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 that’s always the risk right? Either be a Lion or Gazelle - can’t work on your own car in the driveway. Sounds painful - Good Luck!
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
While you think that people that don’t want to do their own oil change is because they are being lazy, just like myself I was worried about warranty. Now a days a receipt isn’t enough. You need photos and written documentation to prove your case. Also where I live I can’t wrench in my drive way but can do whatever I want because the closed garage doors. Now if you live in an apartment complex you might not have any options and the dealer might be your only option.
Nonsense. Photos? Of an oil change? Nah.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
No, its true. I make a pretty penny selling pictures of my oil changes to people who never change their oil.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
So let’s say you have a catastrophic engine failure and you have never been to a dealer for an oil change you think they will just say okay we will replace it no worries. Hell no they will fight you to the end. There was a youtuber that made a video about it, he had no mods besides tints. He had receipts of all of oil and filters he bought but they weren’t enough for him to prove his claims. The only good thing he had on his side is that he documented his oil changes on video, but he had to battle with the dealer and Ford got a few months before his claim was approve.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
So let’s say you have a catastrophic engine failure and you have never been to a dealer for an oil change you think they will just say okay we will replace it no worries. Hell no they will fight you to the end. There was a youtuber that made a video about it, he had no mods besides tints. He had receipts of all of oil and filters he bought but they weren’t enough for him to prove his claims. The only good thing he had on his side is that he documented his oil changes on video, but he had to battle with the dealer and Ford got a few months before his claim was approve.
Oh yeah youTube that's always creditable, nothing but the truth and the whole truth.

A catastrophic engine failure cause by the oil used. Can only happen if you run out of oil , or do not change it. Either one of those leaves behind PLENTY of evidence to be found.

Remember, youBoob only shows one side of the story, you're missing the other 2 sides.

So I'd hold my bet ...and BTW Ford did do the work.

Asking what's the point ?

I never let the dealer change my oil ...........

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Oh yeah youTube that's always creditable, nothing but the truth and the whole truth.

A catastrophic engine failure cause by the oil used. Can only happen if you run out of oil , or do not change it. Either one of those leaves behind PLENTY of evidence to be found.

Remember, youBoob only shows one side of the story, you're missing the other 2 sides.

You are still completely missing the point. The point is not that this guy's (whoever he might be) oil changes lead to any sort of engine failure. Nobody is thinking that.

The point is that an engine failure occurred, for reasons that probably have nothing to do with what oil this guy used or how he changed it. Then it sounds like Ford and/or the dealer tried to use the lack of oil change stamps (or whatever) in the car log book to weasel out of warrantying the engine.

Not seen the video, but would like to see it. Got an URL for it Soulja4187?

I figured my oil/oil filter receipts and date and km reading would be enough if something happens, but perhaps I should start taking photos too. Not sure what the video says or what made Ford in the end warrant it.

Last edited:

traktrbeam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford GT Premium PP1
I take date stamped pics of all my oil changes, including the mileage, pic of car on stands, old oil in the drain pan, and the new oil to be put in.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)

I'm not trying to convince you to take your car to the dealer for an oil change. I myself have given up on the dealers, as I stated before. The 2 times I took the Mustang to get an oil change at the dealer, they only put 9 quarts and when I asked them about it they said it was fine. I always carry the owner's manual in the car so I would bring it out and show it to them. Since I will be doing my own oil change I plan to just take 2 to 3 pictures for assurance. I dont see no harm and it gives me peace of mind that I at least got it done right.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
You are still completely missing the point. The point is not that this guys (whoever he might be) oil changes lead to any sort of engine failure. Nobody is thinking that.

The point is that an engine failure occurred, for reasons that probably have nothing to do with what oil this guy used or how he changed it. Then it sounds like Ford and/or the dealer tried to use the lack of oil change stamps (or whatever) in the car log book to weasel out of warrantying the engine.

Not seen the video, but would like to see it. Got an URL for it Soulja4187?

I figured my oil/oil filter receipts and date and km reading would be enough if something happens, but perhaps I should start taking photos too. Not sure what the video says or what made Ford in the end warrant it.
This was like 2 or 3 years ago dont recall the name of the video. I know he wasnt a big youtuber.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I take date stamped pics of all my oil changes, including the mileage, pic of car on stands, old oil in the drain pan, and the new oil to be put in.
This is what I will be doing myself, doesn't hurt to have enough proof for any future claims in case oil changes come in question.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Taking a big chance without endoscope down the dip stick tube taking videos showing the new oil level rising.

Everyone should keep whatever records make them sleep well. I'm 100% happy with just logging my oil changes on the Ford website listing the date/mileage/brand/spec/quantity/price of the oil and filter. If my engine fails and Ford wants to blame oil changes, good luck convincing a jury a preponderance of evidence and lack of any supporting oil test that its more likely that someone who paid cash for their car couldn't afford oil or was too lazy YET had the foresight and was devious enough to make logs on the Ford web site.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not trying to convince you to take your car to the dealer for an oil change. I myself have given up on the dealers, as I stated before. The 2 times I took the Mustang to get an oil change at the dealer, they only put 9 quarts and when I asked them about it they said it was fine. I always carry the owner's manual in the car so I would bring it out and show it to them. Since I will be doing my own oil change I plan to just take 2 to 3 pictures for assurance. I dont see no harm and it gives me peace of mind that I at least got it done right.
I didn't think you were/are .

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd rather have to prove I did oil changes on the rare chance my engine blows than to have some kid at the dealership change my oil and goober something up.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, show me a warranty denial for a blown engine where the owner did their own oil changes and kept receipts and noted the mileage.

I'll wait...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Again, show me a warranty denial for a blown engine where the owner did their own oil changes and kept receipts and noted the mileage.

I'll wait...

Even without receipts and noted the mileage, not waiting cause it is not possible .
Sponsored