Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The difference 5-20 & 5-30 is very small. I have also read the 5-20 was/is being used to increase the MPG. That in itself, is RIDICULOUS, who buys a Mustang for MPG ? Yes there are those and those are forever unhappy..
Manufacturers don't spec thinner oil to attract mileage conscious consumers. The difference in mileage is tiny, small fractions of MPGs.

They do it because the govt penalizes them based on corporate average mileage and those tiny fractions are worth a lot. Same reason a manufacturer will go to lengths to save a penny on some part. Save a penny on a bolt that is used 100,000,000 times and you just saved a million dollars.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Manufacturers don't spec thinner oil to attract mileage conscious consumers. The difference in mileage is tiny, small fractions of MPGs.

They do it because the govt penalizes them based on corporate average mileage and those tiny fractions are worth a lot. Same reason a manufacturer will go to lengths to save a penny on some part. Save a penny on a bolt that is used 100,000,000 times and you just saved a million dollars.
Agree, but that is not what was posted. The point is 5w-20 does effect the MPG less then 5w-30

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I don't know how it is in Spain, but over here having your yearly check-ups and maintenance activities (including oil changes) done at a certified Ford garage is a prerequisite for the warranty. If you change the oil yourself the warranty becomes a moot point.
Hello; I do hope this is not the case. I have asked about this and been told such is not the case. It is my understanding I can change my own oil without voiding a warranty. I just keep receipts for any parts used during a warranty period. I have been lucky in that I have not had an engine or transmission failure and had to claim on a a warranty.
We do not have to use Ford motor oil or Ford oil filters, just make sure the oil and filters meet Ford specs. Being forced to have work done at a dealership would make little sense. I do hope you are mistaken about this.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah....that's a hard no for me. Chain, maybe. But what was wrong with it being directly driven by the crank???

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
How can anyone be so sure of that?

I, like many others here I'm sure, do my own oil changes. If my engine blows I'm sure I'll have to produce some receipts for the oil I bought. And then the oil I bought does not match what Ford specifies should be used. I cannot help thinking things will get really sour at that point.
It is in the manual recommended for track use.

Engines don't blow up because you used 5W30.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
It is in the manual recommended for track use.
Yes, for track use. That does not imply it's recommended, or even ok, for long term daily driving use.

Engines don't blow up because you used 5W30.
I'm sure they don't, and based on what I've read here (my education does not warrant making qualified guesses on this), I'm leaning towards it possibly being better too.

But I don't see how anyone can be so sure it will be a non-issue to turn up at Ford with a blown engine and receipts for using 5W-30 the last three years, while the manual specifies 5W-20. And not just any 5W-20 either, but one meeting a certain specification.

Playing the devils advocate, "User consistently used incorrect engine oil. Claim voided." seems like such an easy cop out for Ford, even if 5W-30 vs 5W-20 had nothing to do with the engine failure. :-/

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Yes, for track use. That does not imply it's recommended, or even ok, for long term daily driving use.

I'm sure they don't, and based on what I've read here (my education does not warrant making qualified guesses on this), I'm leaning towards it possibly being better too.

But I don't see how anyone can be so sure it will be a non-issue to turn up at Ford with a blown engine and receipts for using 5W-30 the last three years, while the manual specifies 5W-20. And not just any 5W-20 either, but one meeting a certain specification.

Playing the devils advocate, "User consistently used incorrect engine oil. Claim voided." seems like such an easy cop out for Ford, even if 5W-30 vs 5W-20 had nothing to do with the engine failure. :-/
Sigh. What reason would your engine blow using 5W30 vs 5W20? What makes the 5W30 "incorrect"? I also checked the manual and it doesn't limit the amount of track use my car sees. The manual lists three engine oils for the 5.0 - 0W20, 5W20, 5W30.

I bet my car no one has ever been denied a warranty claim for a blown engine if they follow the maintenance schedule with any or all of those oil weights.

Much ado about nothing...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sigh. What reason would your engine blow using 5W30 vs 5W20? What makes the 5W30 "incorrect"? I also checked the manual and it doesn't limit the amount of track use my car sees. The manual lists three engine oils for the 5.0 - 0W20, 5W20, 5W30.

I bet my car no one has ever been denied a warranty claim for a blown engine if they follow the maintenance schedule with any or all of those oil weights.

Much ado about nothing...
Imo the whole obsession about oil grade is much ado about nothing too. I'm sure 5W30 is slightly better, but it's not like 5W20 is going to explode your engine. These engines were built to work with it. Ford has been using it for 20 years now.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
So if 5W20 gets better fuel mileage wouldn't that imply it's slipperier and therefore would reduce the amount of wear on the engine components?

Seriously this thread is nuts. They didn't say stop using water and start using molasses. The difference between the two isn't that much, so choose whichever one you're more comfortable with.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I do hope this is not the case. I have asked about this and been told such is not the case. It is my understanding I can change my own oil without voiding a warranty. I just keep receipts for any parts used during a warranty period. I have been lucky in that I have not had an engine or transmission failure and had to claim on a a warranty.
We do not have to use Ford motor oil or Ford oil filters, just make sure the oil and filters meet Ford specs. Being forced to have work done at a dealership would make little sense. I do hope you are mistaken about this.

It is amazing to read and learn, how non restrictive living is in the US.
So if 5W20 gets better fuel mileage wouldn't that imply it's slipperier and therefore would reduce the amount of wear on the engine components?

Seriously this thread is nuts. They didn't say stop using water and start using molasses. The difference between the two isn't that much, so choose whichever one you're more comfortable with.

NO it is just thinner, formula has not changed.

Sponsored

ejshd73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Gt 93 Mustang Gt
Not sure where we are on this but I have a 21 there is no displacement on demand

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Coyote owners been complaining about the oil pump for a decade. Ford changes it and coyote owners don’t like the new one either.... :)
Of course they don't, if the new one is even worse... :)
People were complaining about rheumatism, and now they've got AIDS instead. :p
Sponsored