Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know, but will say most likely if true. The owner will need to reset that feature every frigging time he gets in to drive.

Rented a car about 2 years ago, some shit box foreign job.

It was the most annoying thing ever encountered, the shit box also had the dial a gear knob.
A friend of mine has a newer F-150. Every time he gets in the truck he has to turn off the engine shutdown "feature". The starters for those trucks are ridiculous expensive too. It is stupid. Cylinder deactivation makes more sense to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
The good thing is you can turn it off, the bad is if you use a tune to deactivate it you can present other issues for yourself.

Did anyone actually come up with a technical reason for the 5w-30 on the 2021 mustang 5.0, or is it all hypothesis?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I am very glad to see Ford bumping things up to 5W-30. Seems logical, lets face it no one drives a car with 400+ HP is not going the twist the RPMs. 5W-20 never seemed wise.

Drinking the kool-aid on this one :champagne:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Did anyone actually come up with a technical reason for the 5w-30 on the 2021 mustang 5.0, or is it all hypothesis?
Unless anyone here actually works for Ford, or Ford themselves comes out with an announcement, it's all speculation.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Unless anyone here actually works for Ford, or Ford themselves comes out with an announcement, it's all speculation.
Hello; That the owners manual allows for 5w30 would tempt me to use that weight oil. The manual of my current vehicles calls for 5w30 but allows for 10w30 above some very low temps.
The question perhaps ought to be will using the 5w30 cause a problem with a warranty claim?

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't I read somewhere that GTs sold in Australia spec'd 5w-30 on earlier years?

I switched to 5w-30 on my '19 GT on the second oil change. My '12 F150 with the 5.0 also gets 5w-30 as does my wife's '17 EB Ragtop. 5w-20 was an EPA / CAFE numbers thing - but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
How can anyone be so sure of that?

I, like many others here I'm sure, do my own oil changes. If my engine blows I'm sure I'll have to produce some receipts for the oil I bought. And then the oil I bought does not match what Ford specifies should be used. I cannot help thinking things will get really sour at that point.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't know how it is in Spain, but over here having your yearly check-ups and maintenance activities (including oil changes) done at a certified Ford garage is a prerequisite for the warranty. If you change the oil yourself the warranty becomes a moot point.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How can anyone be so sure of that?

I, like many others here I'm sure, do my own oil changes. If my engine blows I'm sure I'll have to produce some receipts for the oil I bought. And then the oil I bought does not match what Ford specifies should be used. I cannot help thinking things will get really sour at that point.

Think that would depend on the condition of the oil in the motor @ the time of failure. Have trouble thinking a car comes in. Rod hanging out of the side of the block.

The first step for troubleshooting begins with the oil spec & receipts for same checked . Old oil and the lack of common maintenance preformed is not hard to spot, with any machine.

The difference 5-20 & 5-30 is very small. I have also read the 5-20 was/is being used to increase the MPG. That in itself, is RIDICULOUS, who buys a Mustang for MPG ? Yes there are those and those are forever unhappy..

Important to me ........works long time. New car, I've changed the oil once, and thinking about how I drive . The 5W-30 has been on the radar for 70% of the now spent oil life.

The fact Ford has/is changing the spec is the green flag for owners.

IMNSHO

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have also read the 5-20 was/is being used to increase the MPG. That in itself, is RIDICULOUS, who buys a Mustang for MPG ?
Fuel consumption is also linked to carbon dioxide emissions, and all manufacturers are under immense pressure to keep their average emissions below a certain threshold, otherwise some huge fines will come their way.

Anyway, recommending 5W-20 for MPG or emissions purposes is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, provided that the engine has also been engineered to work fine with this particular grade.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel consumption is also linked to carbon dioxide emissions, and all manufacturers are under immense pressure to keep their average emissions below a certain threshold, otherwise some huge fines will come their way.

Anyway, recommending 5W-20 for MPG or emissions purposes is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, provided that the engine has also been engineered to work fine with this particular grade.
Man and their machines do not have the power to destroy the planet. That is a red haring sorry.

I will leave it that

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
The 20 has nothing to do with "stang" MPG's, it is "fleet" mpg's. Hell Hyundai went to 5w-20 and 0w-20 in 2007. Across the whole fleet that slight gain adds up a little.
Sponsored