Sponsored

When accelerating car will rev up then drop RPM

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Recently my car ('16 GT/Manual) started doing this weird thing. I think it is something with the transmission/clutch but I am not a mechanic so I really don't know. When I get on the throttle in the higher gears it will rev up then drop RPM then start accelerating. If I really push the gas it will rev higher before dropping. it happens in all gears it is just more prevalent in the higher gears. It is also unavoidable, even if I roll into the gas it will still do it.

My car is at 31K miles so I hope it isn't the clutch but IDK.
Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
That does sound like a clutch to me. It is just slipping but grabs enough to get you down the road. It will likely get worse as you go on. If you get on the gas hard it probably revs to the moon before it comes down, right?

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Sounds exactly like a clutch on it's way out to me. Pretty low mileage though. Do you keep your foot resting on the clutch pedal while driving?

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds exactly like a clutch on it's way out to me. Pretty low mileage though. Do you keep your foot resting on the clutch pedal while driving?
I try not to while cruising. since this started I have been more cognizant of it, and noticed at stop lights my foot is on the clutch but not pressing it, so I have started putting my foot on the floor at stop lights.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That does sound like a clutch to me. It is just slipping but grabs enough to get you down the road. It will likely get worse as you go on. If you get on the gas hard it probably revs to the moon before it comes down, right?
Yeah it will go up to 6K+ when I want to get up and go. Sadly with this new issue, I haven't been able to let freedom ring.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Did you buy the car new? If used, clutch could have been abused by previous owner. And by 'abuse' I also mean not driving properly, like with foot on clutch pedal while not shifting, holding car on grades with the clutch, starting in 2nd, slipping the clutch too much, and/or with too much revs, and crap like that. That can kill a clutch much quicker like that, than with real abuse, like hard launches (if not too many).

Just make sure to drive correctly from now on, after you get a new clutch. Never touch the clutch pedal or gearshift lever unless shifting (or starting). And always start with minimum revs possible, and releasing clutch pedal as quick as possible without being jerky... then get on the gas if needed. And put car in N with clutch out on traffic lights, and any other time when you're not immediately going to re-start, like on stop signs. That way, your clutch should last for the life of the car (or at least close), if not defective. Good luck.
Sponsored