Wheels...baddest ones you've seen?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
+1 for Signature Wheels. Terrance knows his stuff when it comes to fitment on mustangs. Also, his wheels are made in the same Taiwanese factory as BC Forged.
F9AF82E7-23FD-4EB4-9B34-B630C265A4DA.jpeg
Made in the same factory or made by?

To the OP, here you have the baddest set of wheels on your car now. You have wheels that at one point in time were almost unobtainable. I believe they would run about 20k per wheel before Ford had them mass produced and made them more affordable.

One of the key performance features of the car is the carbon fiber wheel. And you want to downgrade to an aluminum wheel? Because of the color?

To each his own I guess, but IMHO you already have the baddest set of wheels on your car now.
Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
The cftp wheels look the best imho

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Not a GT350 but I went with Savini. I donā€™t like the black either. I got out of those as soon as I could. They have some pretty nice wheels.
1D7FB190-4DF2-4C7B-9BE5-93A60277BBAB.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Since the 350R carbon fiber wheels are painted, can you have the paint stripped off and sprayed/dipped a different color?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Since the 350R carbon fiber wheels are painted, can you have the paint stripped off and sprayed/dipped a different color?
Yes you can, but it is not the best idea. The CF on the 350R wheels was never intended to be cosmetically perfect. Some wheels have imperfections in the weave and that is fine, because they were always intended to be painted. There was one instance of exposed CF wheels on a factory car and that was one of the prototypes. Ford decided to go the paint route and then CF weave perfection was no longer a requirement.

So yes you can strip the paint, but you don't know what you are going to find. Some have and found quite acceptable examples. Another thought is that I don't think CR used a UV stable epoxy on the 350R wheels. Again, they were never meant to be exposed, so the need for a special UV resistant epoxy was not used in production wheels. All epoxy, to some extent, will yellow over time with prolonged UV exposure. UV resistant epoxy is exactly that, but all epoxies yellow after UV exposure.

So, there you go. It can be done, but there are drawbacks.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
People paint over CF all the time. Choose your color.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yes you can, but it is not the best idea. The CF on the 350R wheels was never intended to be cosmetically perfect. Some wheels have imperfections in the weave and that is fine, because they were always intended to be painted. There was one instance of exposed CF wheels on a factory car and that was one of the prototypes. Ford decided to go the paint route and then CF weave perfection was no longer a requirement.

So yes you can strip the paint, but you don't know what you are going to find. Some have and found quite acceptable examples. Another thought is that I don't think CR used a UV stable epoxy on the 350R wheels. Again, they were never meant to be exposed, so the need for a special UV resistant epoxy was not used in production wheels. All epoxy, to some extent, will yellow over time with prolonged UV exposure. UV resistant epoxy is exactly that, but all epoxies yellow after UV exposure.

So, there you go. It can be done, but there are drawbacks.
Got it, thanks Tom. Appreciate the insight, I know you have a lot of knowledge and hands on experience with these wheels.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
There is something to be said for the classic less rim more rubber look. Pictured is my pedestrian V6 fitted with Ford Racing 2007 GT stock rims (P235-55R17). Stronger than the art deco 20-19 inch $$$ extravaganzas.. Lighter than custom wheels with mounted rubber. Ride and perform well for the more tire part. Looks are subjective. These look very mustangy.

vincent1.JPG

v62.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
There is something to be said for the classic less rim more rubber look. Pictured is my pedestrian V6 fitted with Ford Racing 2007 GT stock rims (P235-55R17). Stonger than the art deco 20-19 inch $$$ extravaganzas.. Lighter than custom wheels with mounted rubber. Ride and perform well for the more tire part. Looks are subjective. These look very Mustangy.
I love the smaller rims with big rubber look AND driving feel.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The 17ā€ & 18ā€ wheels with taller sidewalls look good, but remember OP is asking for a GT350. 17ā€ & 18ā€ wheels wonā€™t clear the brakes.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Made in the same factory or made by?

To the OP, here you have the baddest set of wheels on your car now. You have wheels that at one point in time were almost unobtainable. I believe they would run about 20k per wheel before Ford had them mass produced and made them more affordable.

One of the key performance features of the car is the carbon fiber wheel. And you want to downgrade to an aluminum wheel? Because of the color?

To each his own I guess, but IMHO you already have the baddest set of wheels on your car now.
100% agree, the CF wheels are the best wheels you can put on your car. Hands down.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I like the Shelby CS21 over the stock wheels.
20200709_150528.jpg
Cheap for forged wheels, but not nearly enough front brake clearance IMHO. I had a set but sold them after just two track days, with deep gouges from a couple of pebbles that got caught between the wheels and the calipers. I still have a gouge in my right front caliper as a result too. Can't recommend these at all, sorry.

Replaced them with a set of Apex EC-7RS. 10 lbs. lighter than stock, with plenty of brake clearance.