Sponsored

Wheel studs install, front and rear. Lots of photos, plus a wildlife visit and a screw up for entertainment!

Lovewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Ford uses the same lug nuts for GT350's and GT350R's. The OEM CF rim has aluminum inserts where the studs pass through and where the lugnut seats.
Thank you for that info.
Sponsored

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Just wanted to say thanks for the great write up - followed it to a T this past weekend on the front and it couldn't have been easier!

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
How long did it take ya?

It took me probably 2-3 hours, including a run to the store for a tool or two. I work slow and was taking my time (and triple checking the instructions), so if you're more handy or faster than me, I'm sure you can get it done faster. I only changed the front studs.

Full disclosure, I don't have a press, so hammered out the old studs once I got the hub off and slowly pulled the new ones through with my impact. Besides that, I followed Chip's instructions as he laid them out. Definitely pay attention to the order in which to take off the hub bolts.

I saw your other thread where you were considering hiring somebody to do this and some other bolt-on work. Personally, I have the Steeda IRS bushings, braces, jacking rails, and some other tidbits, which I threw on myself. I think you could save yourself some money and knock it out yourself, even if you're mildly mechanically inclined. No shame in wanting someone experienced to do it for you, though. Just my worthless $0.02.

CharlesC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor, 2019 GT350
I saw your other thread where you were considering hiring somebody to do this and some other bolt-on work. Personally, I have the Steeda IRS bushings, braces, jacking rails, and some other tidbits, which I threw on myself. I think you could save yourself some money and knock it out yourself, even if you're mildly mechanically inclined. No shame in wanting someone experienced to do it for you, though. Just my worthless $0.02.
Thanks - helpful commentary. Done some installs and trying to save some money here if it makes sense. Think given I only really need to swap the fronts to get some square wheels running I am going to DIY the fronts. Then will decide on tackling the rears myself or not. Glad to hear the hammer out method isn't too painful - I'll probably go that round given the car has 2.5k miles and seems silly to replace hubs.

Did you do any new hardware for the brake caliper studs?

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Thanks - helpful commentary. Done some installs and trying to save some money here if it makes sense. Think given I only really need to swap the fronts to get some square wheels running I am going to DIY the fronts. Then will decide on tackling the rears myself or not. Glad to hear the hammer out method isn't too painful - I'll probably go that round given the car has 2.5k miles and seems silly to replace hubs.

Did you do any new hardware for the brake caliper studs?
Yes, going to a square setup is also the reason why I changed out the fronts. I did not replace the brake caliper studs; I read some commentary here that it wasn't truly necessary. I did clean off the old loctite as best as I could on both the bolts and the caliper and brake surfaces, cleaned out the bolt hole, and re-applied some blue loctite as I was reassembling the brakes.

You probably know this, but you'll need this if you plan to hammer them out and pull the new studs through: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER22800
Sponsored