Sponsored

Wheel locks - what's everyone using for GT350?

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
hello all,

Looking to get wheel locks for my car, I'm seeing some options on this forum and other places. Looks like majority is using either Ford wheel locks (which are believed to be McGard - patterned style) from the dealer and Gorilla 96643BDX (black) wheel locks option - splined style.

While Ford (McGard) comes with simple 4 wheel lock bolts and prices around $50, Gorilla comes with 20 wheel bolts, different style of lock, with black option, and double the price around $98 on Amazon.

the question is.. what are you guys using, any suggestions? Is Gorilla possibly worth it, or go with OEM and have piece of mind?

Thanks,
Capture.JPG
Sponsored

HEP#15

hello all,

Looking to get wheel locks for my car, I'm seeing some options on this forum and other places. Looks like majority is using either Ford wheel locks (which are believed to be McGard - patterned style) from the dealer and Gorilla 96643BDX (black) wheel locks option - splined style.

While Ford (McGard) comes with simple 4 wheel lock bolts and prices around $50, Gorilla comes with 20 wheel bolts, different style of lock, with black option, and double the price around $98 on Amazon.

the question is.. what are you guys using, any suggestions? Is Gorilla possibly worth it, or go with OEM and have piece of mind?

Thanks,
Capture.JPG
Looks like these fit and they are $22 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/McGard-24215...6-1&vehicleId=6&vehicleName=2020+Ford+Mustang

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I use McGard Tuner Wheel Locks 25116, handles the high torque just fine. I've removed and torque'd a few times already and haven't had any problems.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I took mine off and replaced with a standard lug nut. Just one more thing for a careless mechanic to mess up at 150lb/ft of torque.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've had wheel locks in the past and didn't have good experiences with them.

And I thought about it for a while and I can't remember EVER seeing a car ANYWHERE I drive with the wheels taken off it.

So I don't run wheel locks.

My advice is to not do it unless you really live or have to park in a terrible area. And if you do, remember that wheel locks won't stop a determined thief, or even slow them down much. If you really have to park in such a bad area some of the time it might be better to drive a cheap beater on those days.

I know in the last few months the area where I work seems to be getting a lot worse (Minneapolis near where the riots happened). The Fiesta ST I drive daily is pretty new with less than 10k miles on it, but I like the fact that it's a lower-profile vehicle. Hopefully it's less likely to be vandalized or stolen because it's cheap.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
The only locks Iā€™ve seen that would really be effective are the BMW OE locks but doubt anyone makes that style for a Ford. The locks have an outer ring that will just spin if you use a wheel lock extraction socket.
Like many say, they just slow down a thief.

cantdrive55

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R, 96 Viper GTS
Vehicle Showcase
If Raceseng would ever stock any products other than basic shift knobs, I'd order a set of their titanium lugnuts.

Since they apparently have no interest in doing so, I'm running the factory locks and minimizing the amount of time my car spends outside of my garage when not being driven.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Have to agree with @Hack

On my 16R, I installed the factory locks and torqued them to 150 pounds torque. That went well the first time.

When I removed the wheels the first time I felt some squish in the turn of the wrench on the way off and I knew then I had a problem. The squish was the rotation of the socket in the head of the lug while turning at high torque and it mangled the head of the lug. I was able to remove 3, 2 of which mangled and as luck would have it, the 4th lug engagement sheared off in the lug. I had to then consult YouTube which had a video that showed how to remove locking lugs in less than 30 seconds, and yes, the lug they removed in 30 seconds was the McGard-style lugs. Needless to say, since the head was sheared off, it took more than 30 secs, but I did get it off.

I did purchase a set of Gorillas and problem was solved.

I recommend against the McGardā€™s in this high-torque application. Besides, on R wheels they are ugly as hell.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
If Raceseng would ever stock any products other than basic shift knobs, I'd order a set of their titanium lugnuts.

Since they apparently have no interest in doing so, I'm running the factory locks and minimizing the amount of time my car spends outside of my garage when not being driven.
Why not get some Signature Wheels Ti lugs?

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I donā€™t know if this is the best thing to do but a service tech manager told me a long time ago not to torque the locks down past 80-85 ft pounds. Every time I reinstall I do just that. My 18volt impact is set at 80 foot pounds. I torque them all down with the impact first then come back and use a torque wrench to finish off the correct setting bypassing the lock.
Whenever I come across a lock that is torqued down really heavy, I have the customer remove it. Better they break it than I ;-)

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
I tried one of the McGard wheel locks on one wheel and as soon as I started on the torque wrench I thought " this is not going to end well " so I backed it right off and put the regular lug nut back on. Glad I didn't do them all as I might have ended up with the same situation as DrumReaper. Plus the McGard wheel locks just look stupid and cheap. For now I don't have any wheel locks on.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I tried one of the McGard wheel locks on one wheel and as soon as I started on the torque wrench I thought " this is not going to end well " so I backed it right off and put the regular lug nut back on. Glad I didn't do them all as I might have ended up with the same situation as DrumReaper. Plus the McGard wheel locks just look stupid and cheap. For now I don't have any wheel locks on.
Bill, I suggest that the factory wheel locks look just terrible on our cars but cannot speak to the look of aftermarket wheel locks.

As you I have always chosen to not have any wheel locks installed on my cars and am very comfortable with that.

Not only do the OEM wheel locks look ugly and take away from the great look of our CF wheels but also suggest that if someone really wants your CF wheels they will find a way to get them off in spite of whatever wheel locks are installed.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
The OE BMW style locks I mentioned earlier have a special factory tool kit to remove a broken lock. I was told the tool kit was around $2K!
I really am surprised nobody makes the BMW style for other cars but Iā€™ll check.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I donā€™t know if this is the best thing to do but a service tech manager told me a long time ago not to torque the locks down past 80-85 ft pounds. Every time I reinstall I do just that. My 18volt impact is set at 80 foot pounds. I torque them all down with the impact first then come back and use a torque wrench to finish off the correct setting bypassing the lock.
Whenever I come across a lock that is torqued down really heavy, I have the customer remove it. Better they break it than I ;-)
That doesn't sound like the best option either; four lug nuts torqued to 150 and then one random one torqued to 80?? No thanks.

Bill, I suggest that the factory wheel locks look just terrible on our cars but cannot speak to the look of aftermarket wheel locks.

As you I have always chosen to not have any wheel locks installed on my cars and am very comfortable with that.

Not only do the OEM wheel locks look ugly and take away from the great look of our CF wheels but also suggest that if someone really wants your CF wheels they will find a way to get them off in spite of whatever wheel locks are installed.
All these items right here!

And here's another point...I have never, never, ever, never had a car with wheel locks where I didn't curse the wheel gods every single damn time I had to pull the wheels off for normal maintenance or something. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze.
Sponsored