Sponsored

wheel hop on 1-2 shift, what can I do to fix it?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
video
First time to the track, 10.28 was my best with 60' in the 1.7 range. Car ran strong, except I had a violent spin/wheel hop on the 1-2 shift every pass. Video shows it. I have all the BMR stuff in the back and viking shocks. I start with 25 psi, and went down to 16 with the same results. Tried in drag mode with the adv track off, and even did a run with the plug pulled; so I know it wasn't the nannies. Shocks are I believe set at 5/7. Car details in signature. Where do I start?
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Did you have an opportunity to walk the track before everyone started? Might have just been shitty prep. You were out a good distance before you spun. So I doubt it’s the shock settings. The car should have been settled by the time you spun. If you have the same issue the next time you race. You might want to get your tuner to turn down the 1-2 shift firmness.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Did you have an opportunity to walk the track before everyone started? Might have just been shitty prep.
I did not. First time back in about 25 years. I think better burnouts might have helped. Other mustangs there were not doing it. One guy running 9.9 with a PD blower wasn't spinning on the 1-2 shift, A10 car as well. Wasn't sure if shock setting would help. I did sent the files to the tuner, maybe they can take some out of the shift. Looking at the logs it looks like it keeps spinning until about the time it gets to third.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I had the same problem with my supercharged 15. For me it turned out to be the tires. I switched from Nto5r’s to E/T street R’s and the problem went away.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem with my supercharged 15. For me it turned out to be the tires. I switched from Nto5r’s to E/T street R’s and the problem went away.
I agree,

Tires are the key here. The 555riis are a good street DR but at that power level, you need something stickier like a MT ET Street R on a 17 inch wheel.

Sponsored

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
May I ask your 1/8th time and trap speeds ? I have trouble hooking my FBO NA car on Nittos but not hop. 305-45-17 ET Street Rs if I want to get it all, maybe its enough for your power too.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I agree,

Tires are the key here. The 555riis are a good street DR but at that power level, you need something stickier like a MT ET Street R on a 17 inch wheel.
OK sticky tires, but why still wheel hop with all the stuff that is supposed to fix it? Anything I can do to fix that, as it is rather violent in the car and don't want to break anything. On the drive home the rear end whine was worse, hope it didn't damage anything. Haven't drove today yet, hope it was just because the rear end was hot.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
May I ask your 1/8th time and trap speeds ? I have trouble hooking my FBO NA car on Nittos but not hop. 305-45-17 ET Street Rs if I want to get it all, maybe its enough for your power too.
best run attached.

20210507-3.jpg

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK sticky tires, but why still wheel hop with all the stuff that is supposed to fix it? Anything I can do to fix that, as it is rather violent in the car and don't want to break anything. On the drive home the rear end whine was worse, hope it didn't damage anything. Haven't drove today yet, hope it was just because the rear end was hot.
Wheel hop is a result of traction loss. Sure up traction and no more wheel hop. I can launch on a prepped track on a mediocre tire and I get wheel hop on my NA A10 on 1-2 shift. Same track on a 17x9 wheel with bias ply DR and no spin, no hop.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Wheel hop is a result of traction loss. Sure up traction and no more wheel hop. I can launch on a prepped track on a mediocre tire and I get wheel hop on my NA A10 on 1-2 shift. Same track on a 17x9 wheel with bias ply DR and no spin, no hop.
thanks, wasn't sure; thought it would just spin rather than hop with all the goodies.

Sponsored

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
thanks, wasn't sure; thought it would just spin rather than hop with all the goodies.
Yeah, seems some cars, no matter the suspension/chassis mods, still have some hop when traction begins to break down. It's not like the solid axle cars that just spin steady.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I have the BMR cradle lockout kit and vertical links. Hopped like a rabbit on the 1-2 shift until I put on a set of ET street Rs.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Spoke with BMR tech today, very helpful and went into great detail. He suggested I tried higher settings on the shocks (had them 5/7 for the street) and if that didn't work maybe add adjustable front shocks as well. He suggested it could be the nose dropping some on the shift. He also mentioned trying a 2nd gear leave, checking with Lund on this.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I launched @ 2500 in 2nd gear all last season. Very do-able, but then your going to have to use your paddle shifters for at least your 3rd gear shift, or all the gears, if you choose...

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I launched @ 2500 in 2nd gear all last season. Very do-able, but then your going to have to use your paddle shifters for at least your 3rd gear shift, or all the gears, if you choose...
Why do I need to use the paddles for 3rd? Is that a limit of the tune?
Sponsored