Sponsored

Wheel bearings. Duff at 25k miles and Ford dont want to know.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Be warned chums.

Car has 25k miles.

Both rear wheel bearings are shot, vid here:

Been to Ford today and they have refused warranty repair as the car has 305 width tyres.

Tyres have only been on the car 2 weeks - this isnt important apparently.

The bearing is common to the GT350, which has 305s from factory, but this still doesnt matter.

Cherry on the cake is that Ford want €900 to replace.

€215 per bearing + labour.

Absolute chancers. The bearings are the equivalent of €66 new in the US.

So ive ordered from AmericanMuscle for €250 a pair incl. delivery and will fit at an indy garage for about €150 labour.

So:

- Check your bearings regularly. The only outward sign was a slight creaking at parking speeds and then a gradual change of 'feel' in the car. Hard to spot initially though. They are not grinding or whirring at all.

- If they need doing, Ford will use any excuse (incl. lowering, as this was their backup BS refusal reason).

- If you like to be prepared, already order some from the US. Nowhere apart from Ford is stocking these in the US or EU.

- It seems like a relatively common problem in the US, with Ford replacing no questions asked up to 36k miles. So once again we get screwed in Europe.

Ah, more Mustang bliss.
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Shocked to say the least, the fact it looks like wheel is loose is very bad and dangerous.

Really down to dealership though, the local dealer I found never quibbled over warranty work as Ford HQ pay them for it. It is this reason that always made me wonder why some garages make claiming for warranty work so difficult when they get reimburse by Ford for the work. :(

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Installing these is not particularly difficult. You could pull it off yourself, if you want. I've seen it done trackside in 30-min.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I haven't got the space and my tools are all in storage. I'd rather just pay the indy a few hrs labour to do it.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I think you need MY18 bearings. Faster, more aggressive and better all round I've heard! IMHO of course. ;)

I'm joking by the way :)

Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
It's extremely common on all S550s. I've personally seen three S550s, including my own, that needed rear wheel bearings before 30k miles.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
It's extremely common on all S550s. I've personally seen three S550s, including my own, that needed rear wheel bearings before 30k miles.
Yeh, it seems that way.

In the US it looks like Ford will change them out FoC at <36k miles. And even if you pay, then the parts are actually a reasonable price.

Mustang1878

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Black Fastback C/P
Anyone any idea of mileage for warranty work in the uk? Im at 28k and whirring now.

Sponsored

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Shocked to say the least, the fact it looks like wheel is loose is very bad and dangerous.

Really down to dealership though, the local dealer I found never quibbled over warranty work as Ford HQ pay them for it. It is this reason that always made me wonder why some garages make claiming for warranty work so difficult when they get reimburse by Ford for the work. :(
Garages likely make warranty claims difficult because Ford & others either quote unrealistic job times or pay labour rates lower than the garages rate to customers.
Isn't the warranty 3 years/60000 miles?

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
Not teaching anyone to suck eggs but do get them to check that the hub nut isn't loose. We've seen hub nuts that have backed off and this has the same effect when you check for play in the the wheel as a failed bearing.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Not teaching anyone to suck eggs but do get them to check that the hub nut isn't loose. We've seen hub nuts that have backed off and this has the same effect when you check for play in the the wheel as a failed bearing.
For the sake of having all info in this topic.

1) What's the socket size of the hub
2) Does it have one of those pin thingys in it (some cars do, never looked at mine), If it does, what size is it incase it's broken?
3) What's the torque setting
4) blue Loctite or not?

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
1) 36mm
2) No mechanical locking device
3) Ford Performance say: Install the new spindle nuts with Blue thread locking compound. Torque Stage 1: 98 lb.ft (133 Nm). Torque Stage 2: 45°
4) Yes

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
1st. I have heard of this issue. Thanks for the heads up as I am at 25,000 miles with no worries.
Sponsored