Wheel adapter seized

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Over the weekend, I went to remove my wheel adapters to find they were seized. I saw someone mention something about that a while ago but thought it wouldn't apply to me because my hubs were in great shape, almost new when I put them on and I keep my car very clean. Well it turns our seized wheel adapters is a thing. After a search on the Internet, I found lots of people with the problem. I tried spraying penetrating fluid on them and letting them soak over night. I beat on them HARD with a 2 lb sledge hammer and flat tip screwdriver for a couple hours and they wouldn't budge. I finally had to put a propane torch to it. After heating it up good, I used a heavy pry bar (called Superbar) and the 2 lb sledge and finally was able to work if free. I was amazed at the rust all over the back and in near the hub! There was no warning from the outside, everything looked clean.

I've spent quite a while trying to clean up the hubs and the adapters so they can go back on. after a hard lesson, now I know to use Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant on them before installing. If you put wheel adapters on and didn't use anti-seize on them, I encourage you to give it a look.

I really wish I would have taken pictures to share, how clean it looked before removing the adapters and all the rust and corrosion on the adapters and hub after I finally broke them free.
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Over the weekend, I went to remove my wheel adapters to find they were seized. I saw someone mention something about that a while ago but thought it wouldn't apply to me because my hubs were in great shape, almost new when I put them on and I keep my car very clean. Well it turns our seized wheel adapters is a thing. After a search on the Internet, I found lots of people with the problem. I tried spraying penetrating fluid on them and letting them soak over night. I beat on them HARD with a 2 lb sledge hammer and flat tip screwdriver for a couple hours and they wouldn't budge. I finally had to put a propane torch to it. After heating it up good, I used a heavy pry bar (called Superbar) and the 2 lb sledge and finally was able to work if free. I was amazed at the rust all over the back and in near the hub! There was no warning from the outside, everything looked clean.

I've spent quite a while trying to clean up the hubs and the adapters so they can go back on. after a hard lesson, now I know to use Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant on them before installing. If you put wheel adapters on and didn't use anti-seize on them, I encourage you to give it a look.

I really wish I would have taken pictures to share, how clean it looked before removing the adapters and all the rust and corrosion on the adapters and hub after I finally broke them free.
Looks like a job while I am painting my calipers. :doh:

Thanx for the headsup. :eyebulge:

Do you have the black painted type? Just wondering if painted vs unpainted makes a difference.:shrug:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
By wheel adapter you mean spacer ?

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
By wheel adapter you mean spacer ?
Yes, wheel adapters are like wheel spacers but are bolted onto the hub and have their own lugs that the wheels mount on while wheel spacers just have the lugs on the hub pass through them to the wheels. Same thing though and could have the same problem.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Galvanic corrosion can be a PITA. Put anti seize on the back hub face.

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Its hell I remember when it happened to my other car -_- not fun.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yes, wheel adapters are like wheel spacers but are bolted onto the hub and have their own lugs that the wheels mount on while wheel spacers just have the lugs on the hub pass through them to the wheels. Same thing though and could have the same problem.
How did you clean corrosion off the hub ? Sandpaper ?

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Galvanic corrosion can be a PITA. Put anti seize on the back hub face.
Yeah after it happened, it seemed everyone knew about it but me. At the auto parts store, I was asking for some kind of penetrating spray. When I told him what I needed it for, he pointed me to some Permatex Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant. Now I see it even has a convenient name, "Galvanic corrosion". While I might not remember that name, I will NEVER put wheel adapters/spacers on a car again without anti-seize! :headbonk:

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
How did you clean corrosion off the hub ? Sandpaper ?
I sprayed it lighting with some penetrating fluid and used a wire brush on my drill combined with a small wire brush I have for harder to reach spots. Then I had to clean it all up real well with brake cleaner so no lubricant gets on my rotors. I'm still not even doe with it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah after it happened, it seemed everyone knew about it but me. At the auto parts store, I was asking for some kind of penetrating spray. When I told him what I needed it for, he pointed me to some Permatex Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant. Now I see it even has a convenient name, "Galvanic corrosion". While I might not remember that name, I will NEVER put wheel adapters/spacers on a car again without anti-seize! :headbonk:
That really goes for any dissimilar metals in contact, FYI.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Its hell I remember when it happened to my other car -_- not fun.
Oh Paul, you said it! This is to start getting ready for those beautiful MRR M600 wheels I'm getting from you. :cheers:

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
That really goes for any dissimilar metals in contact, FYI.
I guess I should know those are dissimilar but hard to tell with all the others. I commented in another thread in the Suspension section about removing rotors but haven't seen a response yet. At the same time I wanted to pull the rotors off so I could clean the hubs easier. I felt like a real idiot. I took the calipers off and couldn't get the rotors off. I tried hitting them with my rubber mallet but not too hard because I wasn't sure if maybe there was something I was missing, didn't want to brake anything. So when I heard it was just rusted and that's normal on these cars, I started hitting it harder and finally broke it loose. I'm not sure why it was rusted there. Is it ok to use the same aluminum anti-seize there?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
What about this? I have this in the tool box already. If not, I'll try looking for those. Although it seems Loctite isn't doing so well at 2 of my local auto parts stores. I ran out of blue loctite this weekend and neither store had it, they both had blue permatex and I hate that stuff.
antiseize.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What about this? I have this in the tool box already. If not, I'll try looking for those. Although it seems Loctite isn't doing so well at 2 of my local auto parts stores. I ran out of blue loctite this weekend and neither store had it, they both had blue permatex and I hate that stuff.
That would probably work just as well.
Sponsored