Sponsored

Whats your/official definition of "spirited/thrashing" driving?

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
The manual says (well my one does) during the break in phase, not to do "spirited" driving

obviously doing launch control , with constant red lining would be considered as thrashing

these cars are built to be driven so I guess if well maintained, with aggressive driving, the car should last as long as a car thats not driven like that

I dont have a performance car background (all my cars have been 4cylinder 2.0L or smaller cars), so for me 3.5krpm feels pretty aggressive

what else can be considered as aggressive and can they shorten the lifespan/damage the car, or as ive heard before, these cars need to be driven like that to keep them happy?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just drive it how you want to after its warmed up properly. Just use common sense about it. If you want to do a pull to redline getting on the highway? Cool. 18 back to back pulls to 120mph? Probably shouldn't ever, let alone in the first 1000 miles.

I babied my car in break in and I was burning 1 quart every thousand miles until the rings actually seated. Ford knows 99.9% of owners don't read the manual anyway and dont' care, so clearly if it were important they would software lock the car to a certain RPM or throttle percentage. The only major no-no is long highway trips where you just leave it in the highest gear and sit at one speed RPM for hours.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
Just drive it how you want to after its warmed up properly. Just use common sense about it. If you want to do a pull to redline getting on the highway? Cool. 18 back to back pulls to 120mph? Probably shouldn't ever, let alone in the first 1000 miles.

I babied my car in break in and I was burning 1 quart every thousand miles until the rings actually seated. Ford knows 99.9% of owners don't read the manual anyway and dont' care, so clearly if it were important they would software lock the car to a certain RPM or throttle percentage. The only major no-no is long highway trips where you just leave it in the highest gear and sit at one speed RPM for hours.
from all the threads ive read, it seems the general consensus is they dont need any warming up, or 1-2 mins maximum,
I dont drive it very hard anyway at this point

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
from all the threads ive read, it seems the general consensus is they dont need any warming up, or 1-2 mins maximum,
I dont drive it very hard anyway at this point
By warmed up properly I just mean that the oil is at a decent temp. These cars don't have an actual oil temperature sensor (it's inferred based on coolant temp) but I don't unleash the horses until cylinder head temp is at least 160-180 or so. Doesn't take that long. I'm not saying you should let the car idle for ages warming up. Just hop in, wait for the idle to come down from cold start, and then drive it.

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Fomoco Techs have already bashed it on the factory rollers and test track.

Sponsored

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
During my break in period I didn’t take it above 5000 rpm. No hard acceleration. Even now with 5000 miles on her, when she’s cold started, I don’t touch the throttle until she idles down to warm rpm, and I still don’t rev her hard until the engine temp is up around 200.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
During my break in period I didn’t take it above 5000 rpm. No hard acceleration. Even now with 5000 miles on her, when she’s cold started, I don’t touch the throttle until she idles down to warm rpm, and I still don’t rev her hard until the engine temp is up around 200.
You always have to balance your Need For Speed with your Drive For Elegance. We all know what it is, the Speed need, and recognize many of the irrational things it makes us do. Elegance is another matter entirely: Knowing that you've done the right thing to fit your overall and specific understanding of the physics and aesthetics of your personal interior and exterior environments without wasting any resources can be very satisfying. In the long run, you'll be making adjustments minute by minute with results that might surprise you.

For my part, I feel much more comfortable when I can look back and think, "Good that took the conservative road on (that thing) and was aggressive on (that other thing). Those choices seem to have paid off." The alternative outcome is, "What was I thinking?"

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
"What was I thinking?"
I try not to have too many of those moments...
I consider myself a good driver; a fast driver, certainly, and I do enjoy those spirited sprints on my 74 mile (each way) commute. I don't consider that aggressive, but some LE might have a different perspective. Just out having some fun.
Sponsored