What's Your Car Made Of?

DB5991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT '03SportTrac
Does it provide any rigidity to the aluminum fenders, or is it just used as sound deadening?
It supplies absolutely 0 structural rigidity to the fenders, strictly for sound deadening and Wind noise. A unibody vehicle doesn’t rely on the renders as a structural piece to the vehicle.
Sponsored

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
It supplies absolutely 0 structural rigidity to the fenders, strictly for sound deadening and Wind noise. A unibody vehicle doesn’t rely on the renders as a structural piece to the vehicle.
Thanks. I asked because I had a GM product once that had a thin metal brace between the inside of the fender and apron because the fender was so flimsy.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
You know just maybe President trump telling the Chinese to stick it until a new TRADE DEAL is struck may be a good thing. I do not know about you. Myself I am tired of the crap they send us and the shitty clothing as well. If I can I will not knowingly buy products made in China. I went through two Warranty gear boxes in my 2011 due to inferior metal in the gears and bearings and the car was never raced. The Chinese produce inferior products period.

Disclaimer this is not a political statement JMO.
Good luck with that as it will be expensive. I’m totally in favor of buying US made and have done it with all my hobby products. I’ve bought McIntosh Ford Badcat Grado Klipsch Fender VPI and many more.

Hard to avoid though.

It helps US companies though as they would go out of business if they stopped providing Chinese built low level starter products- who is going to pay 1200 for a guitar?

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
What IS your car made of? Aluminum, paint, glass, rubber, plastic. You know. I thought I knew, but I had occasion to look at the front of the driver door opening, and it seemed to me the fender, or part of it, was/is filled with a plastic trash bag stuffed with something. Really. What's that all about?
YellowCarDoorBagFar_DSCN5537.jpg
YellowCarDoorBagClose_DSCN5540.jpg
That's just a decoy package to thwart the US Customs "inspection stations" on Interstate 10 near El Paso :stop:

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Mine has grass clippings in the 'door jamb trash bags'...

Sponsored

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Good luck with that as it will be expensive. I’m totally in favor of buying US made and have done it with all my hobby products. I’ve bought McIntosh Ford Badcat Grado Klipsch Fender VPI and many more.

Hard to avoid though.

It helps US companies though as they would go out of business if they stopped providing Chinese built low level starter products- who is going to pay 1200 for a guitar?
Did someone mention guitars? I've seen some interesting construction techniques from the far east. A discussion for annotate time and place

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
I think that comment speaks for itself, and I'm defending everyone here who owns one. Whether you approve or disapprove of the method of sound deadening isn't the point.
The point is, that although it is NOT a trash bag, I do not think anyone is happy when they see it simply because of the aesthetics being so closely associated to that of an actual trash bag. I'm aware that while this may be a difficult concept for those with normally low expectations to grasp, but aesthetics play a large role in people's opinion of quality. Voicing a negative opinion regarding their choice of materials allows companies like Ford gather the feedback in order to do better for all of us.
I am always amused at those who criticize threads like these and yet always seem to be there to respond to them. In all honesty, I'm not going inside my fender on a regular basis so it is rather nitpicking, but since they brought it up...........
Doesn’t bother me in the least, having owned Mustangs for a long time. I don’t go looking for trivial things that ultimately don’t effect me or the operation of the vehicle. Everyone that complains keeps throwing around the price they paid for the car, like that somehow means something. Just because that sum to you makes you feel like you bought a high end car... you didn’t. You bought a mass produced performance car, from a parent company that intends to sell as many as they can, for as much as they can, while investing as little as they can. They’re here to make a profit by selling a product they manufacture how they see fit.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
... look at the front of the driver door opening, and it seemed to me the fender, or part of it, was/is filled with a plastic trash bag stuffed with something.
[
YellowCarDoorBagClose_DSCN5540.jpg
I wish it completely filled the void behind the fender. Then I wouldn't have to use my flashlight and magnet-on-a-stick to retrieve my dropped socket.
Sponsored