Sponsored

What's up with my rotor and pad wear? (Pics)

terry_b

Technically a Chevy guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium, 2014 Camaro SS/1LE
Here are my rear pads and rotors, inside surface. Looks like corrosion caused the edges of the rotor to lift which resulted in an odd wear pattern on the inside edge?

The outside edge looks like you would expect: normal, even wear. Not even really enough pad material gone to justify replacement, but I've got a set of powerstop on the way.

The whole reason I took it apart was that we were having issues with the parking brake. The car started rolling when parked, and the brake handle was locked as high up as it would go. I found the threads on here regarding the adjustment underneath the car and tried it. The adjustment made the handle position tighter, but did nothing for actually holding the car parked.

Would this explain the poor performance of the parking brake? The cables move smoothly, nothing else seems off. We haven't noticed any lack of braking performance while driving, but we probably wouldn't in the rear.

dKwSkML.jpg

UkqcKkx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dKwSkML.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UkqcKkx.jpg
Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What year is your car and mileage? MY 2015 PP GT rear rotors look like that also. I only have 32,000 miles on it. I just got new rotors and pads in today and will change them tomorrow. I do not have a problem with parking brakes.

OP
OP

terry_b

Technically a Chevy guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ECOBOOST PREMIUM. Not PP, about 35,000 miles

OP
OP

terry_b

Technically a Chevy guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm actually a little dissapointed. My 2014 Camaro with over 60k miles had near perfect rotors when I changed them.

OP
OP

terry_b

Technically a Chevy guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here's an update on this... The parking brake had no bite at all so I was adjusting the cable. I was making no progress at all, so I decided to work backwards.The handle would tighten up so that it would only raise a few clicks, but it didn't do anything to increase the bite on the parking brake. I started checking each component individually and found that the parking brake assembly on the caliper felt like it was difficult to operate.

I'm talking about the rotating arm that the cable pulls - it was movable, but i could only move it with a pair of channel locks and some effort.

Originally I thought that the cable was stretched and/or needed adjustment because the parking brake assembly wasn't moving enough to properly engage. This was technically true - the OEM brake pads were worn excessively and unevenly due to the parking brake mechanism sticking. eventually they just gave up. When I installed brand new rotors and pads, the increased thickness combined with the cable I had already adjusted (shortened) meant that when the parking brake handle was pulled, the mechanism was hitting the stops before the pad could engage. This also meant that it couldn't "self adjust" or whatever inside the caliper. I loosened the cable adjuster a ton and VOILA! parking brake engaged - and held - perfectly. Brake pads a re properly bedded and work much better than OEM, but now I've uncovered the issue of the parking brake mechanism not releasing fully so the inside brake pad drags enough to heat up the rotor noticeably.

I was riding my motorcycle to work while my fiance drove my camaro but with rain yesterday and today I ended up taking her car. My commute is 5 miles and less no more than 35-40 mph so hopefully I haven't ruined the new pads or rotors - or worse, the bearings. I imagine a hard track day would do more damage to them, but I had no choice while waiting for new calipers to get here.
Sponsored