Sponsored

What's the widest tire you can fit on 19x10 wheel?

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2018 GT that I'm running 285/35/19 on 19x10 rims squared. Well I want to have wider tires for the rear and I'm not sure whats the widest I can go on a 10inch wheel. The offset is 35
Sponsored

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2018 GT that I'm running 285/35/19 on 19x10 rims squared. Well I want to have wider tires for the rear and I'm not sure whats the widest I can go on a 10inch wheel. The offset is 35
A 285 is technically the "perfect" size for a 10 inch wide rim. You could go to 295, but you lose some of the structural support provided by the rim to the tire. That said, some tires also run a little more narrow than others, despite their size (Nittos come to mind). Also, if you don't really track your car or enjoy "spirited" canyoning and the likes, this is probably a non-issue.You could probably get away with 305s, but that's probably pushing it and you would most likely have some bulge/a tire that's not properly sealed. 305s should really be for 10.5s.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
305s will work. Pic is 305 on a ten inch wheel.
61F46CC6-37B1-4719-9A16-14CB3904DCDA.jpeg

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
If your into performance driving I would stick to a 275 or 285 Max. Yes you can easily put a 305 on a 10 and I have done it in the past but the feel and dynamics of the vehicle will be floaty and sloppy due to the BULGE.

A 275 will give you a slight stretch offering some tension to the sidewall and allowing the tire to communicate more effectively to the driver. A 285 will give you slightly more contact patch but lose slight communication.

Keep in mind that the 275/285/305 means nothing (see my previous tire posts) and what you need to pay attention to is TREAD WIDTH. You can find this info at Tire Rack.

Now this will FOR SURE piss some people off so don't take my word for it, our boy Billy Johnson (Ford GT WEC driver and IMSA Champ) states the same thing albeit in a more wordy fashion here:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/

PS; If your into running at the track, your current 285 square set-up will yield great results :like: Be safe out there.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For what purposes/uses?

For general use, I wouldn't ever recommend going wider than 295/xx on 10" wide wheels; whatever size has 10" as its "measuring width" probably being as good a balance between various measures of performance and ride quality for most people as anything.

295/xx on 10's would be reasonably consistent with what Ford has used for the PP1 (275/40 on 9.5's, rear) and PP2 (305/xx on 10.5's, front). A 295 tire is only a couple mm above the midpoint between 275's and 305's, 10" is at the halfway point between 9.5 and 10.5.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Now this will FOR SURE piss some people off so don't take my word for it, our boy Billy Johnson (Ford GT WEC driver and IMSA Champ) states the same thing albeit in a more wordy fashion here:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/
Worth the read.

I also think that for most corner-carving purposes short of all-out W2W racing that it's worth trading away a little peak grip to gain a little more response/precision. Actually, that's one of the reasons I'm good with 285/35-18's (10.2" tread width) on 11's. FWIW, MPSS in that size start out at ~290 actual on measuring width and get their section width stretched out very close to 300 when mounted on 11's.

I did find it interesting to see Billy's weight and HP to tire width table, since I'd put something somewhat similar together more than a few years ago. Too bad Billy didn't break down the weight to tire areas by front and rear with respect to weight distribution, as that would give some indication of which end of the car you could expect the tires to start "going away" first. And hint at what staggering tire sizes on front-heavy cars gets you into as well.

Norm

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The tire manufacturer specs will list the widest rim you can run the tire on. It may vary per tire.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Each manufacturer will be a little different, so make sure you look up the actual specs of the tire you are considering. What do you hope to gain by increasing the tire size in the rear without increasing the width of the wheel? I can only think of negatives; increased cost of the tire and you lose the ability to rotate front to back and extend tire life. Going to a "wider" tire doesn't always mean more tire on the ground. The sidewalls of the tire will be squeezed by the wheel, reducing the contact patch.

If you want to put wider tires on the rear for increased straight line traction, I would recommend getting 11" rear wheels with a +52mm offset and then tossing a wider tire on that size wheel. Other negatives like reduced feedback mentioned earlier are more downsides.

- Cory

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Stick with the 285s. Wider won't really get you anything from a performance perspective, and will usually hurt responsiveness, sure-footedness, and handling overall.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
More is usually better.
In classes that restrict wheel size, people usually fit the biggest tire they can. Often a step or two beyond the recommended range.
In classes that restrict the tire size, they try to fit the widest wheels possible.

But tire selection in 285 is waayyy better than 295. Which trumps everything else.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
But tire selection in 285 is waayyy better than 295. Which trumps everything else.
This is often an extremely overlooked point and I wish more people considered it. You could have the perfect combination created in your head, but if there are no quality tires offered, it's a mute point. This is also why when people ask me what wheel size they should purchase, I first ask them what tire they plan to run, then what size tire, and finally landing on a wheel choice that suits their needs.

- Cory

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ related to that is the matter of picking a tire size that has sound expectation of future support by more than just one or two tire companies. It can suck when nobody makes the tire size that you spec'ed a set of wheels for any more. Been there, ended up running a set of tires half an inch past the wide end of the recommended range.

Norm

Kane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Hi,
I know it's an old thread but hopfully one of y'all respond to this. I'm trying to get Ventura Beadlock S904 street & strip 17x10. Beefcakeracing recommended 305/45R17 tires size Mickey Thompson 90000028441 ET Street S/S. I see you guys talking about 305 in 10" wide is to much. what y'all think?
I was going to go with 18x5 28/R6 18 in the front but I might go with 18x7 245/45/18

any suggestion?

(on 2019 mustang GT)

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Street slicks might work in that application as the sidewalls tend to be less reinforced to get optimal traction (think wrinkle effect).

however it is also a street use tire. I would suggest getting feedback from dedicated users. If it was for track use I would say no.

please note the difference between Street/strip/track.
Sponsored

Last edited: