What's the top speed for the v6?

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You guys do realize that you cannot compare the DS issues that are common in V6 S197 Mustangs to the S550 Mustang. Common to the extent that the SCCA allows competitors to replace the OE drive shaft with one that can handle high speeds in classes where the 4.0L and the 3.7L V6 Mustangs are raced.

The biggest difference is that the S197 has a solid rear axle and the S550 has an independent rear suspension. In the S197 the rear end is suspended from chassis in a manner that allows it to move up and down as the car encounters bumps, accelerates, turns and stops. In the S550, the differential is bolted to a sub frame that is in turn bolted solidly to the chassis of the car. In an IRS the differential doesn't move as the car goes over bumps, stops, turns or accelerates.

The DS in an S197 (or any rear wheel drive car with a solid axle) has to be able to deal with ever changing angles that actually causes the distance between the transmission and the rear axle to change. I owned a 2012 V6 for several years and what I remember is that it didn't have a traditional slip yoke. It is not a great design and that is why they get changed on race cars.

So go as as fast as you want in your S550.....the drive shaft isn't going to join you in the car.
Sponsored

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
You can use the whole speedometer no issues. I've gone up to 160 once in mine, 140+ countless times. Though from factory my limiter would stop me at 124mph before I got my tune.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't trying to top her out, but I've had my stock car to 130 indicated, twice. Someday, if conditions are right, I might test it's limitations.

joshnc101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You guys do realize that you cannot compare the DS issues that are common in V6 S197 Mustangs to the S550 Mustang. Common to the extent that the SCCA allows competitors to replace the OE drive shaft with one that can handle high speeds in classes where the 4.0L and the 3.7L V6 Mustangs are raced.

The biggest difference is that the S197 has a solid rear axle and the S550 has an independent rear suspension. In the S197 the rear end is suspended from chassis in a manner that allows it to move up and down as the car encounters bumps, accelerates, turns and stops. In the S550, the differential is bolted to a sub frame that is in turn bolted solidly to the chassis of the car. In an IRS the differential doesn't move as the car goes over bumps, stops, turns or accelerates.

The DS in an S197 (or any rear wheel drive car with a solid axle) has to be able to deal with ever changing angles that actually causes the distance between the transmission and the rear axle to change. I owned a 2012 V6 for several years and what I remember is that it didn't have a traditional slip yoke. It is not a great design and that is why they get changed on race cars.

So go as as fast as you want in your S550.....the drive shaft isn't going to join you in the car.
Pretty much this^^^

In addition, the 11-14 v6 has a driveshaft with a stamped slip joint right in the middle of it, instead of being near either end where it should've been. When it starts spinning several thousands of rpm's at 100+ mph, that stamped slip joint has enough play in it that allows the middle of the driveshaft to bow outward in a wobbling motion till it eventually fails and splits apart. The GT's never had that issue because they were a 2 piece design with a carrier bearing right in the middle bolted directly to the car, and a slip joint right next to that bearing.

The 2015+ Mustangs never used that type of driveshaft in the 11-14 v6 again, so I wouldn't worry about it on any engine trim level.

Last edited:

paintball20205

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang v6
How you guys going past 125mph. My mustang wi not go past 125mph with the throttle all the way to the floor. I assumed the speed was resteicted on it.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
How you guys going past 125mph. My mustang wi not go past 125mph with the throttle all the way to the floor. I assumed the speed was resteicted on it.
It is, you need a tune.

prototipo20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guillermo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
Hi everyone,

I've taken my V6 (just once, other pulls were up to 190Km/h or 120Mph and 200 Km/h or 130ish Mph) here in DR up to 218 Km/h or 133 Mph. Mine is an "export only" version of the car.

Due to stock tires and suspension it felt way too unstable so haven't tried it again... and now that I've changed springs for some steeda progressive, the road ideal for the testing is filled with p with radars. :/

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You can use the whole speedometer no issues. I've gone up to 160 once in mine, 140+ countless times. Though from factory my limiter would stop me at 124mph before I got my tune.
I can see where 300 HP could get you close, probably somewhere between 155 and 160.

160 mph is going to take few more HP - 315 or so - with gearing and tire size optimized to put your engine at peak power rpm at 160 mph. More power than that buys you a little slack on your tire and gearing choices.

Your speedometer could be reading a couple of mph high at that speed due to the small amount of tire slip that happens when you ask them to transmit that much power.

Norm
Sponsored