corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford is not the only one providing staggered setups. BMW, Porsche, Lotus, Mercedes to name some.
Porsche (911) and Lotus have rearward weight distributions, so staggered tire sizing not only makes sense, it may be necessary. Side note - the 911 Porsches of the 1960s ran 'square' tire and wheel setups . . . and earned bad reputations for drop-throttle oversteer even with their smallish-displacement engines.

Don't assume that the other two mfrs on your list are not ignoring customer preferences in appearance or are unwilling to build in a little extra understeer out near their cars' limits.

Norm
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just as a further discussion point, my e36 M3 was on a staggered setup (225 / 245 from memory) and my bro’s 18 M4 comp also runs a staggered setup :like:

WD :like:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I would admit that I haven’t read the thread because honestly there’s only one reason for me. STANCE!!
IOW, your personal preference in appearance.

Norm

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Just as the title reads. I'm hearing the racing guys prefer 275 squared. So why would Ford make their PP1 staggered? Base and PP2 are squared.

I think this is ass backwards ?

Sponsored

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Just as a further discussion point, my e36 M3 was on a staggered setup (225 / 245 from memory) and my bro’s 18 M4 comp also runs a staggered setup :like:

Interestingly enough, the first year of the E36 M3 ('95, in the US anyway) came square (235/40-17). They made some changes for the 1996 and later cars including displacement and rear end ratio... but I still suspect the tire size was because the '95 was actually pretty neutral and could definitely bite you if you didn't respect it.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Interestingly enough, the first year of the E36 M3 ('95, in the US anyway) came square (235/40-17). They made some changes for the 1996 and later cars including displacement and rear end ratio... but I still suspect the tire size was because the '95 was actually pretty neutral and could definitely bite you if you didn't respect it.
I'm not sure on your US M3's sorry, only that they weren't the same as we got in Euro land.

I know the early euro was 286 bhp single vanos but I don't know the wheel or tyre sizes.

The later euro (what I had and what was known as the 'evo' or 'evolution' model) was 321 bhp double vanos and that got the staggered wheel and tyre setup.

The evo was the last euro M car to not to get traction control and with 321 bhp in a reasonably small and light chassis that, might be why BMW went staggered - I know a lot of the euro M3's got there unsuspecting owners into trouble, it was difficult to find a straight one when I was looking ...

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I'm not sure on your US M3's sorry, only that they weren't the same as we got in Euro land.

I know the early euro was 286 bhp single vanos but I don't know the wheel or tyre sizes.

The later euro (what I had and what was known as the 'evo' or 'evolution' model) was 321 bhp double vanos and that got the staggered wheel and tyre setup.

The evo was the last euro M car to not to get traction control and with 321 bhp in a reasonably small and light chassis that, might be why BMW went staggered - I know a lot of the euro M3's got there unsuspecting owners into trouble, it was difficult to find a straight one when I was looking ...

lol. I totally didn't notice your location and that you got the "real" M3. Over here, we got something slightly better than a 328is with a trim package. '95 was a 3.0l with 240HP, and the 96' and onward was a 3.2l also rated at 240HP but with more torque. We didn't even get the 6-speed.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
lol. I totally didn't notice your location and that you got the "real" M3. Over here, we got something slightly better than a 328is with a trim package. '95 was a 3.0l with 240HP, and the 96' and onward was a 3.2l also rated at 240HP but with more torque. We didn't even get the 6-speed.
Yeah imagine yours with another 81 bhp / 7500 redline, coupled with our 'in general' crappier roads and at that time, zero use of winter tyres and they were a whole lot of fun in the colder / wetter months ... :sunglasses: That was until they found a wall / ditch / tree / other road user etc ... :frown: (Mine survived by the way :like:)

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
...you need to define a few of those words........... :crazy:
Damn lol u right.
Let's try again☺

Yeah not really. Our cars tend to understeer so :
A bigger front is what we do when we track (roadcourse) the car.

Also a squared setup allows you rotate wheels for better wearing.
Of course all around with same offset (using 25mm hubcentric spacers in the front)

A pp1 is not a track oriented car. That is why is a perf package and not a track package.
Same for pp2. (Lots of overheating issues)
A track oriented car is the 350 and latest models came out with a 305 squared I believe.
A squared set up requires some adjustment in the front especially for offset and camber.

A staggered car has some advantages for street
1. Easy plug and play after market wheel choices. (Usually 19x10 and 19x11)
2. Lower tire costs. (Some are smaller)
3. Having big tires in the rear helps you when drag racing (also smaller front =less rotational mass)

And that's it :)
Alex
Sponsored