Whats the loudest axel back exhaust?

dgreene1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I did axle backs first which I really liked but I wanted a little more volume so I got the H pipe after. The H pipe is loud on start up with the higher rpms with a cold engine and is very loud under acceleration but it's only slightly louder cruising around. I've had several people tell me they love my exhaust, one was biker at a stoplight who told me I was drowning out his Harley LOL.
Hi Chris, I'm currently running my 2018 GT convertible with the Roush axle-backs and love the sound, especially top-down. Curious about the volume increase if I added the Roush H-pipe to replace the stock resonator. Would you describe it as a big jump in volume? Deeper sound? Any drone? Thanks.
Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hi Chris, I'm currently running my 2018 GT convertible with the Roush axle-backs and love the sound, especially top-down. Curious about the volume increase if I added the Roush H-pipe to replace the stock resonator. Would you describe it as a big jump in volume? Deeper sound? Any drone? Thanks.
Hi dgreene1. Yes it’s considerably louder especially at start up and under acceleration. Cruising it’s a little bit louder but not extreme. I’m driving a coop I’m guessing it’s probably gonna be a little bit louder with a convertible top. Also, my hearing is not great, I have over 50% loss in one ear so take that into consideration as well. I notice it is louder inside the car with the windows up versus down. I haven’t noticed any drone. It’s a little raspier under acceleration but doesn’t sound like an x pipe. I love at idle, it rumbles and reminds me of the muscle cars of the 60 - 70S or a mild cam upgrade. I see you’re in south Florida. I’m in the Apollo beach area and would be happy to let you check it out if you want before making your purchase. Not sure how far you are but guessing you’re closer to Miami area since most people are when they say south Florida. I had the muffler shop use brackets so I could swap fairly easily should I want to go back. The H pipe has been on my car for at least 2 years now and the resonator is still in a box in the crawl space above the garage if that helps you decided.

dgreene1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Hi dgreene1. Yes it’s considerably louder especially at start up and under acceleration. Cruising it’s a little bit louder but not extreme. I’m driving a coop I’m guessing it’s probably gonna be a little bit louder with a convertible top. Also, my hearing is not great, I have over 50% loss in one ear so take that into consideration as well. I notice it is louder inside the car with the windows up versus down. I haven’t noticed any drone. It’s a little raspier under acceleration but doesn’t sound like an x pipe. I love at idle, it rumbles and reminds me of the muscle cars of the 60 - 70S or a mild cam upgrade. I see you’re in south Florida. I’m in the Apollo beach area and would be happy to let you check it out if you want before making your purchase. Not sure how far you are but guessing you’re closer to Miami area since most people are when they say south Florida. I had the muffler shop use brackets so I could swap fairly easily should I want to go back. The H pipe has been on my car for at least 2 years now and the resonator is still in a box in the crawl space above the garage if that helps you decided.
Chris, thanks for the info and the driveby invite for a listen, but I'm a bit far away in the Fort Lauderdale area. From your description, I just have to decide if I want to test my neighbor's patience with the "new" sound :curse: but very tempting. Great idea on the bracketry for swapping back and forth. Take care.

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I would have to agree that the Roush Axle-Back + H-Pipe combo would have to be one of the loudest (but good sounding) setups. That was my first setup and I loved it. No drone, but cold starts were obnoxiously loud and it was just a loud setup overall. You could control it somewhat though with the throttle.

Next setup was AWE Touring catback and that brought a much deeper tone, but was definetely quieter than the Roush. But much deeper and not raspy at all.

Now I recently switched to the Corsa Extreme catback cause I missed the louder volumes and while it definetely sounds unique compared to the other 2 exhausts I've had, I will say that I think the Roush+H Pipe was louder. Which surprises me cause I thought for sure the Corsa would be the loudest system out of the 3. Or maybe it's just cause of how good of a job Corsa does in absolutely minimizing interior noise with the windows up.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You are so right in that the Roush set-up is loud.

I would have to agree that the Roush Axle-Back + H-Pipe combo would have to be one of the loudest (but good sounding) setups. That was my first setup and I loved it. No drone, but cold starts were obnoxiously loud and it was just a loud setup overall. You could control it somewhat though with the throttle.

Next setup was AWE Touring catback and that brought a much deeper tone, but was definetely quieter than the Roush. But much deeper and not raspy at all.

Now I recently switched to the Corsa Extreme catback cause I missed the louder volumes and while it definetely sounds unique compared to the other 2 exhausts I've had, I will say that I think the Roush+H Pipe was louder. Which surprises me cause I thought for sure the Corsa would be the loudest system out of the 3. Or maybe it's just cause of how good of a job Corsa does in absolutely minimizing interior noise with the windows up.

Sponsored

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
Roush is definitely loud. The cold start itself is pretty loud for about 20-30 seconds. Even louder with an X or H.

I'm actually surprised to hear that it's louder than the extremes. The corsa system is bigger in diameter (3" vs 2.5" stock).

I want to add some long tubes but I fear it will just be obnoxious lol

slick_rick_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT350
Piggy backing off what a few others have said about the Roush setup, I'm running a cat-back version with long tubes and it's stupid loud. It's tame once you get cruising, no drone.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Roush is a great set-up, want loud solid, crisp, & a power sound ?

Roush combo
X pipe
CIA & tune
Remove active exhaust, replace same with Roush axle backs.

It's a beautiful thing .............. :champagne:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Piggy backing off what a few others have said about the Roush setup, I'm running a cat-back version with long tubes and it's stupid loud. It's tame once you get cruising, no drone.
Can confirm

I used to have the LTHs, high-flow cats, Roush AB, X-Pipe setup and it was indeed bananas. The cold start was the most brutal part. It was so loud I was getting noise complaints from my neighbors. Also, my coworkers told me a few times they could hear me miles up the street. Ended up swapping out the Roush ABs for the GT500 mufflers and it is much more tame now. Night and day difference.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Really, you would change a set-up on your own car so as others would approve ?

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Chris, thanks for the info and the driveby invite for a listen, but I'm a bit far away in the Fort Lauderdale area. From your description, I just have to decide if I want to test my neighbor's patience with the "new" sound :curse: but very tempting. Great idea on the bracketry for swapping back and forth. Take care.
ohh it’s a drive and I’m in palm beach county. This past weekend I drove to Apollo Beach and between going and coming it was a 12 hour trip when you have 2 women in the car lol

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Probably an H-Pipe with Roush axlebacks.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Had a Lambo Urus pass me on the highway...that's the sound I want!
Had a URUS pull up on me yesterday. It was almost comical how goofy the autoblip sounded. It sounded like a rolling popcorn machine and not in a good way.
Sponsored