Sponsored

Whats the coolest feature you didn't know your car had?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Reviving an old thread because I discovered something cool today that I didn't know about.
Believe it or not, although I had the car for almost two years, until today I had no idea that the tri-bars can also be seen from the side. :blush:

IMG_0514.jpeg

I love those tri-bars and think they make the car look impossibly cool and mean when seen from the front, but I didn't know how three-dimensional they are and how awesome they also look when viewed side-on. I can't believe I never noticed it until now. :facepalm:

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Reviving an old thread because I discovered something cool today that I didn't know about.
Believe it or not, although I had the car for almost two years, until today I had no idea that the tri-bars can also be seen from the side. :blush:
This was intentionally from Ford for the 2018 facelift, since the first "world\european" version had the tribars not visible from the side, and in most (or probably in all) euro countries they were disabled as drls.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
This was intentionally from Ford for the 2018 facelift, since the first "world\european" version had the tribars not visible from the side, and in most (or probably in all) euro countries they were disabled as drls.
2015-2017 tribars are visible from the side.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Not enough to be legal here..

Sponsored

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
That it’s waaaay better looking than it’s younger sister.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not enough to be legal here..
Looks pretty enough to me ... the 2nd photo is of my 2015. I highly doubt Ford put different headlights in the Euro 2015-2017 Mustangs.

Almost looks like the tri-bars on the 2015-2017 are more visible from the side.

1663284421205.png

1663284411415.jpeg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I know it was mentioned earlier but I LOVE this feature...
C8D6DF77-8565-45A6-B84A-A39FD4197770.jpeg

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Looks pretty enough to me ... the 2nd photo is of my 2015. I highly doubt Ford put different headlights in the Euro 2015-2017 Mustangs.
Sure, but you probably aren't the European Union :D

2015-2017 EU Mustangs lack completely the leds behind tribars, using fog lights as drl. At the time I was really furious about that because we missed a signature feature showed in every brochure\videos for months.

Ford had a hard time homologating the car in every european countries, and to not miss the 50th anniversary, they disabled all features that were not compatible with every country (tribar drls, red\sequential turning lights..)

You can find some of my older thread when we talk about that, and a big thread where I modded my 2015 to have led tribars, or mod to have sequential rear turning lights (sequential are allowed in Italy).

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was intentionally from Ford for the 2018 facelift, since the first "world\european" version had the tribars not visible from the side
^^^

"... the tribars not visable from the side ... "

That is the part I was commenting on. If the tribars didnt have LEDs in them and not light up, then that's a different issue. My point was that they are physically visible from the side, regardless if they actually light up or not.

Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Ok, but Ford removed the leds from the tribar because they were not ENOUGH visible from the side to comply Eu regulations.
with 2018- they modified tribars so they are MORE visible from the side, so to comply to some (IMHO stupid) regulations :)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, but Ford removed the leds from the tribar because they were not ENOUGH visible from the side to comply Eu regulations.
with 2018- they modified tribars so they are MORE visible from the side, so to comply to some (IMHO stupid) regulations :)
More visible physically, or more visible with redpect to light output? Those are two different things. As the compatision photos I posted earlier shows, the tribars on the 2015 are physically just as visible from the side as the 2018 tribars.

If you're just talking about light output, then that's a different aspect of being "visible".

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I don't know the details. I only know that my beloved mustang had those nice tribars mutilated, and the facelift had them working. They changed something needed for those EU regulations - or in the meantime regulations have changed! (don't think so..)

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There were rumours back then that the tri-bars were missing from 2015-2017 Euro Mustangs due to EU legislation. However, there was nothing against them in the EU legislation. Some said they were placed too high up (which was bollocks, since many SUVs have them even higher up than that). Others said it was because they were placed towards the inside rather than the outside of the car (which is bollocks, since there's no such regulation, and other European cars used to have DRLs placed exactly at the same spot inside the headlamp). Now I'm hearing a new reason, namely that they weren't visible from the side (which I'm not really buying, first because they actually were perfectly visible, as GT Pony proved above, and secondly because there's nothing in the legislation that says they must be visible from the side - in some European cars they aren't). After all, those sorry yellow candles that passed for DRLs in the early Euro Mustangs weren't very visible either.

That they finally gave us the tri-bars in 2018 is proof that there was no legal impediment. It was probably just a cost reduction thing, coupled with laziness and possibly lack of time to have them homologated in all EU countries.

Last edited:

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Vlad, fact is that they weren't available in 2015-2017 so there was some reason. Don't think that Ford was happy to remove (they don't deactivate them, they completely removed leds) a signature feature.
I don't know if you know _all_ the single EU country regulations, but it could be not allowed in a single country and for easy bureaucracy, Ford want to uniform cars that imported in Europe.
I remember that red rear turining lights were legal in a country (I think Belgium) but they didn't get them.. they had amber rear turning lights as every other euro country - because ford don't want to pass every single MOT import check with specific model.
Sponsored