Sponsored

What's the cheapest/easiest way to obtain apple CarPlay on a base car?

jdlufkins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
I saw the sync 3 swap thread.

What are my options (and other base mustang owners) to get Apple car play? I'm sick of the base radio but not sure what's the best route to take
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I would go with a aftermarket system with one of the few available dash kits.

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Step 1: Get extra iPhone Lightning Cable
Step 2: Cut USB end off cable.
Step 3. Strip back insulation to expose wires.
Step 4: Keep only RED and BLACK wires, cut the remaining wires short/out of the way.
Step 5: Open the hood, and remove black cover from battery.
Step 6: Plug Lightning Connector into iPhone.
Step 7. Using electrical tape, connect the BLACK wire to the NEG (-) terminal on the battery.
Step 8: Connect the RED wire to the POSITIVE terminal on the battery and hold it for 30 seconds. Crackling/popping noises are completely normal.
Step 9: Check iPhone for functionality.
Step 10: (Optional) If iPhone still functions properly, connect RED and BLACK wires to standard 110v outlet in the home.
Once you see the "Magic Steve Jobs Smoke" emit from the device, Apple Carplay Setup is complete.
Step 11. Buy an Android.

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Buy a cheap Android HU and wait for something to come up. I'm still looking with a Chinese manufacturer to build more of my dongle to get Apple Car Play working on Android HU. I know it works I tested it myself. Or... Follow step 11 as [MENTION=21083]PatrickHenninger[/MENTION] mentioned lol.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I'm not 100% sure how Apple CarPlay works compared to Android Auto. I know Android Auto is a separate app I have installed on my phone, and don't need a radio that supports AA. If CarPlay is like that, connect your phone to the car via bluetooth, and use the app. This would be the easiest.

Aren't the radio bezels like $400? Add in a $300 radio, and a $100 wiring harness to retain steering wheel controls, and you are $800 into swapping out your head unit. It's the cheaper route, but hardly cheap.

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I'm not 100% sure how Apple CarPlay works compared to Android Auto. I know Android Auto is a separate app I have installed on my phone, and don't need a radio that supports AA. If CarPlay is like that, connect your phone to the car via bluetooth, and use the app. This would be the easiest.
CarPlay doesn‘t work like that. The headunit has to support it.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Well, that's some canine excrement
Haha yes it certainly is.

The cheaper alternative is getting a good phone mount and using your phone as an infotainment system. Bluetooth your media and nav voice through the car speakers.
I know, I know, it's hardly the same aesthetically but functionally can do the job.
Sponsored