Sponsored

Whats the best rear brake upgrade for the PP GT's?

hypestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aditya
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hey Guys,

I'll be very honest I'm fairly new to the topic of brakes and what works best, so I thought I would ask. I currently have a 2018 GT PP1 with the 6 piston front brake and the factory brake in the rear that comes with the car. I've been looking at a rear brake upgrade for the car for while now. I want to run slotted and drilled rotors all around, and upgrade the rear to a 4 piston Brembo brake if possible and retain the front because to my understanding the gt350's out there just use their 4 piston rear brake as their hand brake. So what do you guys recommend?

I could go for a dual rear caliper set up to maintain the hand brake and then install a secondary 4 piston. However I would like to retain the front 6 piston Brembo in the front, and be able to run a 4 piston Brembo in the rear and have matching slotted and drilled rotors all around. If there is a way to accomplish this with the rear it would be great to hear.

I understand I can do the gt350 brake conversion kit but that's a full revamp to everything and very expensive.

Sincerely,
Hypestang

Also if this is not the right thread to post this in please let me know
Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hey Guys,

I'll be very honest I'm fairly new to the topic of brakes and what works best, so I thought I would ask. I currently have a 2018 GT PP1 with the 6 piston front brake and the factory brake in the rear that comes with the car. I've been looking at a rear brake upgrade for the car for while now. I want to run slotted and drilled rotors all around, and upgrade the rear to a 4 piston Brembo brake if possible and retain the front because to my understanding the gt350's out there just use their 4 piston rear brake as their hand brake. So what do you guys recommend?

I could go for a dual rear caliper set up to maintain the hand brake and then install a secondary 4 piston. However I would like to retain the front 6 piston Brembo in the front, and be able to run a 4 piston Brembo in the rear and have matching slotted and drilled rotors all around. If there is a way to accomplish this with the rear it would be great to hear.

I understand I can do the gt350 brake conversion kit but that's a full revamp to everything and very expensive.

Sincerely,
Hypestang

Also if this is not the right thread to post this in please let me know
Best bang for your buck would be the BAER kits, they are a lot better than stock and a fraction of the price vs the Brembo kits. https://www.lethalperformance.com/b...ag-race-rear-brake-kit-2015-2018-mustang.html

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
@Andrew@Lethal aren't those BAER kits for like drag race applications? Haven't heard anything good about it for street use.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Are you having trouble losing your rear brakes? Or looking for something pretty? Based on wanting slots and drilled holes in the rotors I'm guessing you don't care about function. Probably just buy whatever is least expensive.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
FYI the PP1/PP2/bullitt rear brakes are the same diameter as the standard rear brakes but the rotors are thicker and the caliper opening is wider to accommodate the thicker rotors, so when you buy stock replacement rotors and or calipers/pads make you specify that you have a PP1/PP2 even for the rear.

The GT 350 rear brakes use a four piston caliper for the main braking, the parking/emergency brake is done by a small drum brake inside the rotor hat. That is why the GT 350 brake kit has so many parts to it, the rear hubs have to be changed to accept the different style parking brake assembly.

If you just want the looks, powerstop brakes sells drilled and slotted rotors for the front and rear of PP1 equipped mustangs and their pads are better and cleaner than the ford pads. And Ford racing sells the bullitt calipers as a kit, they are just PP1 calipers that are painted red from the factory and have a white brembo logo on the fronts. Afterall a bullit is just basically a PP1 with an ugly green paint job and different wheels.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hypestang

hypestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aditya
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
FYI the PP1/PP2/bullitt rear brakes are the same diameter as the standard rear brakes but the rotors are thicker and the caliper opening is wider to accommodate the thicker rotors, so when you buy stock replacement rotors and or calipers/pads make you specify that you have a PP1/PP2 even for the rear.

The GT 350 rear brakes use a four piston caliper for the main braking, the parking/emergency brake is done by a small drum brake inside the rotor hat. That is why the GT 350 brake kit has so many parts to it, the rear hubs have to be changed to accept the different style parking brake assembly.

If you just want the looks, powerstop brakes sells drilled and slotted rotors for the front and rear of PP1 equipped mustangs and their pads are better and cleaner than the ford pads. And Ford racing sells the bullitt calipers as a kit, they are just PP1 calipers that are painted red from the factory and have a white brembo logo on the fronts. Afterall a bullit is just basically a PP1 with an ugly green paint job and different wheels.
Thank you for the information actually on the rear factory PP1/PP2/bullitt rear brake rotors, I didn't know that they were thicker. I went ahead and took a look at the Bullitt caliper kit that you sent but that's not really what I'm looking for, I'm looking for a full caliper look similar to the Bear product that was sent above. Its half for looks and half for the performance its just surprising to me that no one has made a kit that upgrade the rears to match the front with how many GT's are out there, I understand the front is more important as far as braking performance but lets be real looks go matter a little bit too sometimes. I might end up going the powerstop kit that you spoke about, I had been considering it, but I wouldnt want to get that and then get something down the line to upgrade the piston so im looking to do it all at once

OP
OP
hypestang

hypestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aditya
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Are you having trouble losing your rear brakes? Or looking for something pretty? Based on wanting slots and drilled holes in the rotors I'm guessing you don't care about function. Probably just buy whatever is least expensive.
Half and half honestly, im hoping to stich to a 4 piston rear for better performance, ill most likely go for just drilled rotors because I know slotted does rear to nothing

OP
OP
hypestang

hypestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aditya
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Best bang for your buck would be the BAER kits, they are a lot better than stock and a fraction of the price vs the Brembo kits. https://www.lethalperformance.com/b...ag-race-rear-brake-kit-2015-2018-mustang.html
Ive definetly wanted to swtich to Baer which I might just have to and do a full big brake kit all around, it would be nice if I could retain the front brembo and match the rear somehow, which I image will be using a dual caliper set up so I can have the handbrake and braking in the rear. Which I would probably still do if I went to the big brake kit with Baer

OP
OP
hypestang

hypestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aditya
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
@Andrew@Lethal aren't those BAER kits for like drag race applications? Haven't heard anything good about it for street use.
Yeah looking for something for street / road coarse style for sure, just looking at all the options out there, im also trying to hear if anyone really knows whats a great option other than just doing a big brake kit or the gt350 conversion kit

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1

Sponsored
OP
OP
hypestang

hypestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aditya
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Half and half honestly, im hoping to stich to a 4 piston rear for better performance, ill most likely go for just drilled rotors because I know slotted does rear to nothing
Just so you know, slots wear out pads more quickly and holes tend to be stress risers that will start cracks in the rotor if you use the brakes hard (like on a road course). If you are just driving to cars and coffee to look at them there are really no problems with having these features. I just want you to realize that they don't do anything to improve braking in any way.

OP
OP
hypestang

hypestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aditya
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
What's the performance metric that the stock brakes aren't meeting?
Its more honestly for the overall looks, but I have swapped out my pads to better ones, and I just dont feel like I have enough stopping force for cornering, I just upgraded suspension and working on doing IRS suspension to make the rest of the car feel better, now im on to upgrading my brakes, just completely happy with the amount of braking force.

OP
OP
hypestang

hypestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aditya
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Just so you know, slots wear out pads more quickly and holes tend to be stress risers that will start cracks in the rotor if you use the brakes hard (like on a road course). If you are just driving to cars and coffee to look at them there are really no problems with having these features. I just want you to realize that they don't do anything to improve braking in any way.
Yup I already know the slotted and drilled is just for looks, im looking to upgrade my brakes and rotors for the looks and because I feel like I dont have enough stopping force, and would like to get closer to specifically the braking force of what the gt350 brakes are like
Sponsored