Sponsored

what's norm for changing the Engine oil for 2018 Mustang GT?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
People really pay $10 a quart for Motorcraft oil?
I buy PUP at 22/5qt all day long, so $4.4/qt. You would have to PAY me to put Motorcraft oil in my engine.

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
For me:

2 x 5qt Mobil 1 0w-40 ($44) + 1 x FL-500-S filter ($6) + 15 minutes of my time = $50 spent for peace of mind knowing it's done correctly! :thumbsup:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
People really pay $10 a quart for Motorcraft oil?
I am used to paying 10 a quart for oil, I would think rotorcraft full synthetic wasn't too far off. I am team amsoil, but to be fair, motorcraft is a good oil I am sure, there's literally millions of cars running off dealership changes just fine not blowing up or self destructing. id like to think motorcraft full synthetic is a good quality oil, I have no reason to not believe it isn't.

OP
OP

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
For me:

2 x 5qt Mobil 1 0w-40 ($44) + 1 x FL-500-S filter ($6) + 15 minutes of my time = $50 spent for peace of mind knowing it's done correctly! :thumbsup:
Yes, I totally agree!

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my 2018 it was the first year that required 10 qts and it came with 3 free oil changes. The first oil change (at 1000 miles), I got it home and it was indeed low on oil. I call the dealer and told them and they said they were sorry and ask me to just bring it back. I just added two qts and went on with life. on the 2nd oil change (+3000 miles) it went perfect. but on the 3rd (+3000 miles) they put in 8 qts again. I called them and they said they were sorry and that they are still use to the 2017 gt's. I added two qts and put it behind me. I have always done my own oil changes and under normal driving two qts for a moderate amount of time will not kill these engines. Most if not all the employees at the dealerships that do oil changes are newbies so I would always advise checking the oil level and look for leaks after they change the oil.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I am used to paying 10 a quart for oil, I would think rotorcraft full synthetic wasn't too far off. I am team amsoil, but to be fair, motorcraft is a good oil I am sure, there's literally millions of cars running off dealership changes just fine not blowing up or self destructing. id like to think motorcraft full synthetic is a good quality oil, I have no reason to not believe it isn't.
I mean, if we trust them to design and engineer these engines, shouldn’t we also trust they wouldn’t fall down on what oil goes in it?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I mean, if we trust them to design and engineer these engines, shouldn’t we also trust they wouldn’t fall down on what oil goes in it?
Not saying it's bad, but $10 is alot for a quart of run of the mill oil. You're paying premium prices (eg. Amsoil, Motul, LM etc.) for a budget product.

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
When I take mine in for an oil change, I make sure they know it takes 10 quarts and to use the oil specified in the owners manual. I’d do it myself, but I don’t have a lift, and the time and hassle of getting it up on jack stands isn’t worth the cost of having the dealership do it. I’m not comfortable getting under a car on jack stands either.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
no, because they play games with viscosity and formulation to cheap-out and to extract Infinitesimal increases in MPG to placate unimaginative gov't apparatchiks.

Sponsored

fiveohchris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Absolute garbage filter.
True. I opted for the Wix XP filter. Saw a few YouTube vids where they cut different filters open and it had great filtration media and seals for the price.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
When I bought my 2018 it was the first year that required 10 qts and it came with 3 free oil changes. The first oil change (at 1000 miles), I got it home and it was indeed low on oil. I call the dealer and told them and they said they were sorry and ask me to just bring it back. I just added two qts and went on with life. on the 2nd oil change (+3000 miles) it went perfect. but on the 3rd (+3000 miles) they put in 8 qts again. I called them and they said they were sorry and that they are still use to the 2017 gt's. I added two qts and put it behind me. I have always done my own oil changes and under normal driving two qts for a moderate amount of time will not kill these engines. Most if not all the employees at the dealerships that do oil changes are newbies so I would always advise checking the oil level and look for leaks after they change the oil.
I don't get it, I work as a school bus mechanic and do oil change and preventative maintenance and have never not one time just added the recommended oil and then not checked the dipstick to make sure it is reading properly, I wouldn't do that on my car or anyone else's either, it's not lack of knowledge it's plain laziness that a person will change the fluid and not take 5 seconds to pull the stick and check. Exactly why none of my 3 mustangs have ever had a single service ever since new at a dealership. (15gtppmt 17gtmt 19gtmt)

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My local Wal Mart has Mobile 1, 5w-30, in a 12qt "box" for $50...roughly $4.17/qt.
Sponsored