OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Being an Australian resident has it's benefits,.....................and downsides. Most would say the warm and sunny weather, but I hate summer heat. Our landscape is certainly unique, our beaches are stunning and being so far from the worlds epicenters is occasionally a good thing too.

That distance is also frustrating at times, especially when it comes to getting the latest and greatest. We always seem to get things months or even years after being available in other countries. Be that cars...................or detailing products.

The Detail Factory's new Curve Ball and Tire Brush are two such products, both were released in the USA in early March, and as always, it takes a few months for little old Australia to catch up. I had these pre-ordered since April after being given the heads up a few weeks prior that these would soon be available from a local owner of a local detailing supplier. And, as usual, everything sold in Australia is heavily marked up in price.

DETAIL FACTORY Ultra-Soft Detailing Brush (detailingshed.com.au) (Australia)
DETAIL FACTORY Ultra-Soft Detailing Brush (detailingshed.com.au) (Australia)

Detail Factory - Curveball XL Synthetic Brush | The Rag Company (USA)
Detail Factory - Tire Scrub Brush | The Rag Company (USA)

Detail Factory CurveBall - Large Area Detailing Brush – CleanandShiny (UK)
Detail Factory Tire Scrub Brush – CleanandShiny (UK)

On first touch, like any Detail Factory product, these feel like very high quality items.

The Tire brush is pretty self-explanatory, the rubberized handle a nice upgrade over my current Maxshine/Tuff Shine brush and the bristles are also slightly softer and longer.

IMG-3459.jpg

IMG-3460.jpg

IMG-3462.jpg

IMG-3467.jpg

The Curve Ball's role is not as well defined. First of all, this brush is surprisingly massive! The little holder is also a nice touch.

IMG-3451.jpg

IMG-3470.jpg

IMG-3469.jpg

IMG-3471.jpg

This brush was primarily designed for use on large interior surfaces.

dfcb201.jpg

However, I was all set to follow Obsessed Garage's lead in using this as a tire dressing applicator.

dfcbtb201.jpg

Except...........it seems just too nice to use for such a messy job. We'll see.............

More "detailed" review after I get a chance to use them.
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
That's pretty major for an 'adhesive remover'. Somehow presumably it's ok on car paint?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
That's pretty major for an 'adhesive remover'. Somehow presumably it's ok on car paint?
Was thinking the same thing.

This is from Koch Chemie themselves -

For use on " Solvent-resistant surfaces such as paint (including matt paint), glass, ceramic, metal, etc."

"Do not let dry.; Not suitable for polycarbonate, polyacryl and similar plastics.;
Use in water recycling plant only after consulting the system manufacturer.;
Before using, check suitability and compatibility.;
Do not use on hot surfaces."

I'm guessing clear coated and cured paints compared to a can of spray paint is where the difference is.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
For the first time in a while, I managed to bag some really nice weather for my day off. It's been a wet and dreary winter so far, so while it was cold, at least the sun was out.

That wet weather meant a dirty daily and I couldn't take it anymore.

IMG-3501.jpg

IMG-3514.jpg

IMG-3522.jpg

This week I was really excited to be trying a variety of new products, the first of which was the Detail Factory's new tire scrub brush.

IMG-3524.jpg

IMG-3526.jpg

Pictured here on the right next to my old and well used Tuff Shine/Maxshine brush, the new one has longer and slightly softer bristles. Those longer bristles are noticeably easier to scrub with and conform to the variable surfaces of a tire presents. I did not expect a big difference between the two, but the reality is that the new one is vastly better at this task. Is it worth the price difference, absolutely YES. You definitely want this brush!

Undiluted Brake Buster the choice today -

IMG-3528.jpg

IMG-3530.jpg

After cleaning the mats with McKee's Cargo Mat Cleaner, it was time to try another new item, Koch Chemie Guf.

IMG-3541.jpg

Guf is a non-slip dressing designed to be safe to use on rubber floor mats and vinyl flooring. The is a watery clear liquid, probably best used with a microfiber pad or applicator, I used a utility towel in this case. The finish is a natural look, the product adding a layer of richness that rubber always seems to lose over time.

IMG-3547.jpg

IMG-3550.jpg

Another Koch Chemie product, this time Top Star.

IMG-3509.jpg

Top Star is a combination cleaner and UV protectant for plastic and rubber interior surfaces. The finish is touted as semi-matte, something I can agree with. Another clear and runny liquid, I used TS on a microfiber pad and leveled it down with an interior towel. I suspect this could be used in a sprayer as well.

IMG-3506.jpg

Lastly, another tire dressing to add to the rotation, Koch Chemie Plast Star.

IMG-3552.jpg

This product is touted as a silicone free dressing, but it smelt and acted exactly like a silicone product I have used before, Meguiar's Hot Shine.

ap84.jpg

This is a very easy to apply dressing with excellent coverage and minimal working required. Certain products from Koch including Eulex, TEA, Guf and this PSS have a very handy little stopper installed to ensure a controlled application. This can be removed to allow the fitment of a sprayer head or to ensure quick filling of other containers.

IMG-3556.jpg

As always, these tires always come up pretty glossy no matter the product, I can't wait to try Plast Star on some low profiles.

IMG-3559.jpg

Back into DFB spec, I even did a quick waterless wipe down of the tray with N-914...............

IMG-3562.jpg

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
McKee's Cargo Mat Cleaner
This is interesting, is it safe to say you rate it as a genuinely worthy niche product for floor mats over other cleaners ie not a gimmick with a label?

I ask because while mats understandably lead a hard life I can't ever seem to get them coming up relatively fresh no matter what cleaner I try.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This is interesting, is it safe to say you rate it as a genuinely worthy niche product for floor mats over other cleaners ie not a gimmick with a label?

I ask because while mats understandably lead a hard life I can't ever seem to get them coming up relatively fresh no matter what cleaner I try.
I can certainly identify with the challenge rubber mats present with regards to keeping them fresh.

Being pretty upfront here, there is a lot of duplication going on in my chemical cabinets. Some additions have been gimmicks, others worthy additions.

My first attempt at finding a product to deal with rubber mats was Chemical Guys Mat Renew, a combined cleaner and protectant. This product was very deceptive. It smelled nice and foamed up really well when agitated, making it look as if you were achieving something. Once dry, the matts looked exactly the same.

I don't hate on many products, but this stuff was absolute garbage and really put me off the Chemical Guys brand as overpriced, over marketed crap. (Chemical Guys are marketed and priced at a premium in Australia.)

Chemical Guys Mat ReNew Rubber + Vinyl Floor Mat Cleaner and Protectant | Chemical Guys

nov178.jpg

nov179.jpg

I also tried using a tire cleaner, in this case Shine Supply Wise Guy. This worked well but had a stronger chemical odor that really wasn't suited for an interior.

Get Shine Supply Wise Guy Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
Shine Supply Wise Guy Wheel & Tire Cleaner | Best Tire Cleaner – Obsessed Garage

IMG-1985.jpg

McKee's 37 Floor Mat & Cargo Liner Rejuvenator is a clumsily long name, but it does seem to do what it was designed to do.

Shop McKee's 37 - Floor Mat & Cargo Liner Rejuvenator Online - CarCareCo
Floor Mat & Cargo Liner Rejuvenator - McKees37.com

IMG-0544.jpg

IMG-0547.jpg

I use a soft wheel brush, for more soiled mats using a stiff bristle tire brush would be better option. Either way, with 3 cars on hand with rubber mats, having a product like this makes sense to me. Following up with the Koch Chemie Guf from above then adds the finishing touch.

As mentioned, using a strong APC will also work. The benefit of the McKee's product though is that it's more pleasantly scented than a heavy-duty APC.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Once dry, the matts looked exactly the same.
Exactly the pain I've experienced, so underwhelming :crackup:

As mentioned, using a strong APC will also work.
I did try an APC (Bowden's Orange Agent as recommended by them) but didn't really get the result I was looking for. I'll give McKee's a try, thanks for the recommendation :like:

On that note, Bowden's products appear absent from DFB's Cabinet. Apart from the fact that it's good fun getting packages from overseas etc, is their gear something you've decided to give a miss? Sandro appears to like some of their stuff (a deciding factor in some of my purchases) so just curious.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Exactly the pain I've experienced, so underwhelming :crackup:

I did try an APC (Bowden's Orange Agent as recommended by them) but didn't really get the result I was looking for. I'll give McKee's a try, thanks for the recommendation :like:

On that note, Bowden's products appear absent from DFB's Cabinet. Apart from the fact that it's good fun getting packages from overseas etc, is their gear something you've decided to give a miss? Sandro appears to like some of their stuff (a deciding factor in some of my purchases) so just curious.
The McKee's is available from two Australian suppliers -
McKee's 37 Floor Mat and Cargo Liner Rejuvenator - 650ml – The Detail Store

As for Bowden's, I do have and use some of their lineup, and often recommend them to novices. I find many people new to Detailing are intimidated by the high-end brands and specialty suppliers, preferring to pick something up from a local Big Box Store. While I do use a few select chemicals and accessories from them, I don't tend to show them in my posts.

Like any brand, Bowden's offer some great products mixed with a few duds.

In terms of a lot of their accessories, most are rebranded generic items. The "Foursome" brush set and "All Sorts" tire applicator for example.

IMG-7213.jpg

I also have their Big Green Sucker Towel, the "Flathead" wheel brush and "Great Barrier" grit guard.

ww.jpg

may121.jpg

rt.jpg

Being Australian made and owned, it's the chemical line where they have a point of difference.

Firstly, I really like the Microfiber Wash.

IMG-6363.jpg

You mentioned Agent Orange, this is a pH neutral cleaner. That would explain why you had limited success using to it clean rubber. In general, a high pH (alkaline) cleaner will work better on rubber. I did not rate Agent Orange very highly.

apr95.jpg

Another product I gave up on was Snow Job. This foamed brilliantly but just did not clean very well. NV Snow is what replaced it in my process.

DSC-0075.jpg

Wheely Clean is a very good product, plenty strong in both cleaning ability and odor.

IMG-0731.jpg

Boss Gloss, a quick detailer, is decent for the job, I just liked Meguiar's Last Touch more.

sep85.jpg

My favorite product from them is Leather Love, and their Leather Guard is decent too. I like how Leather love was designed for P/U coated automotive "leather". I use it with a brush to agitate before wiping clean with a towel.

image.jpg

IMG-9854.jpg

As mentioned, Bowden's are a very approachable brand. I tend to favor imported brands, they are incrmentally better........................and look nicer displayed in my cabinets. :giggle:

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The McKee's is available from two Australian suppliers -
McKee's 37 Floor Mat and Cargo Liner Rejuvenator - 650ml – The Detail Store

As for Bowden's, I do have and use some of their lineup, and often recommend them to novices. I find many people new to Detailing are intimidated by the high-end brands and specialty suppliers, preferring to pick something up from a local Big Box Store. While I do use a few select chemicals and accessories from them, I don't tend to show them in my posts.

Like any brand, Bowden's offer some great products mixed with a few duds.

In terms of a lot of their accessories, most are rebranded generic items. The "Foursome" brush set and "All Sorts" tire applicator for example.

IMG-7213.jpg

I also have their Big Green Sucker Towel, the "Flathead" wheel brush and "Great Barrier" grit guard.

ww.jpg

may121.jpg

rt.jpg

Being Australian made and owned, it's the chemical line where they have a point of difference.

Firstly, I really like the Microfiber Wash.

IMG-6363.jpg

You mentioned Agent Orange, this is a pH neutral cleaner. That would explain why you had limited success using to it clean rubber. In general, a high pH (alkaline) cleaner will work better on rubber. I did not rate Agent Orange very highly.

apr95.jpg

Another product I gave up on was Snow Job. This foamed brilliantly but just did not clean very well. NV Snow is what replaced it in my process.

DSC-0075.jpg

Wheely Clean is a very good product, plenty strong in both cleaning ability and odor.

IMG-0731.jpg

Boss Gloss, a quick detailer, is decent for the job, I just liked Meguiar's Last Touch more.

sep85.jpg

My favorite product from them is Leather Love, and their Leather Guard is decent too. I like how Leather love was designed for P/U coated automotive "leather". I use it with a brush to agitate before wiping clean with a towel.

image.jpg

IMG-9854.jpg

As mentioned, Bowden's are a very approachable brand. I tend to favor imported brands, they are incrmentally better........................and look nicer displayed in my cabinets. :giggle:
I know how much I spend on product so am flabbergasted at what you spend.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I took delivery of a new mower earlier in the week. Forgive my excitement, a new mower is on the same level as a new car for me. Good thing is, I can write them off as a business expense..........and they take up less space than cars, meaning I can have more of them. Nine of them in fact! :giggle:

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

A mower is only this clean once, so it would have been rude to not do a little of pre-use detailing! Carpro Reload was my choice for this machine.

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

Last pic before it got dirty!

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

Even my client who has failing eyesight noticed I had a shiny new mower! :giggle:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The last seven days have been busy. You know how it is, when you have more things to do than you have time for. Luckily, I'm a list maker, and unlike my father, I actually cross things out on those lists. :wink: As such, I managed to cross out enough things to earn my therapy session today, almost like a metaphoric sigh of relief.

It was Blue's turn this week. Today, I wanted to capture my process for well (over?) maintained wheels. What I mean by that is wheels that don't need to hammered to get them clean.

These wheels never seem to get dirty, the brake pads on these are mostly dust free in comparison to the Brembo's on the Mustang and XR8. In the bucket today is some left over Gyeon Bathe in addition to a Microfiber Madness Incredibrush Flat, large EZ-Detail brush, RaceGlaze XL brush, lambskin finger mitt and a Detail Factory tire brush.

IMG-3767.jpg

First off, a pressure clean, paying particular attention to the tires. I'm using the short gun here with a 25 degree tip.

IMG-3772.jpg

Next, I use Brake Buster at full strength, spraying some on the rubber and a few onto the brush.

IMG-3776.jpg

After washing away the Brake Buster, I foam the wheels and inner arche with some soap, in the cannon today the wonderful Carpro Reset.

IMG-3778.jpg

I then take the RaceGlaze XL brush and clean the lugs and center cap. If I can get access, I will do the brake caliper too.

IMG-3779.jpg

Next, I use the Incredibrush to clean the wheel barrels.

IMG-3784.jpg

Then I clean the wheel face and the back of the spokes with the lambskin mitt.

IMG-3789.jpg

The EZ-Detail Brush is then used to clean the inner arche.

IMG-3786.jpg

The wheel and arche are then rinsed clean.

IMG-3793.jpg

I don't do this at every wash, perhaps every second or third, I apply a spray and rinse sealant to the wheels and inner arches. Today it was Gyeon Wet Coat.

IMG-3795.jpg

Then some Hydes on the rotors.

IMG-3799.jpg

Not pictured, I will clean the exhaust tips at the same time, using the same products and tools.

That process will alter slightly depending on the products or tools I choose to use, but the order is generally always the same.

After drying the car, using Bead Maker as the drying aid, I tended to my usual tasks - glass, interior wipe/vac and engine bay wipe down. Today I also polished the exhaust tip with Carpro Metallicut and coated it with Dr. Beasley's Metal Coat.

Returning to the wheels and tires, I have mentioned before that these Michelin Pilot Sport 3's are very resistant to tire cleaning, even with very aggressive tire cleaners and scrubbing. I wanted these stripped bare so broke out the Tarminator, and boom, job done!

IMG-3801.jpg

Tarminator is very harsh, it's best applied to a towel rather than the surface to be cleaned, then scrubbed aggressively. You will ruin a towel doing this task, so choose wisely.

My dressing of choice was Koch Chemie PSS -

IMG-3804.jpg

IMG-3809.jpg

Really impressed with this dressing, once cured it's dry to touch.

It felt really satisfying to have cleared all of the week's hurdles and just let go this afternoon. :)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Back in February this year, I added a large cabinet to house a variety of tools and detailing chemicals.

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

The size of the thing fitted the space very well, so well that it planted the seed, I knew I could fit in another! That would end up being today's project. 😁

IMG-3871.jpg

IMG-3872.jpg

The plan for this cabinet was for it to be devoted to tools, the older one reserved for detailing items. Because I needed to level these two cabinets so that they were lined up nicely, I had to strip the contents of the older one, most of the stuff needed to removed anyway.

IMG-3874.jpg

IMG-3877.jpg

Once the cabinets were leveled up and put in place, it was time for the fun part of finding a place for everything. For the detailing cabinet, I actually pinched a shelf from the new one so that I could facilitate another place for gallon size chemicals. The vacuum and detailing seat fit nicely too, along with my polishers. As you can see, I have a couple of empty shelves to fill! :wink:

IMG-3882.jpg

The tool cabinet, or toy cabinet as I like to call it, allows for some of my gardening items to be stored neatly, including a small step ladder. The rest is a variety of hand and power tools and various other household items.

IMG-3885.jpg

The hand tools I have additional plans for in the future. You know how it is, you buy or get given tool kits that end up missing items or are simply cheap crap. Some of that will find a nice, organized home and others will get donated elsewhere.

IMG-3888.jpg

IMG-3889.jpg

IMG-3892.jpg

The red tool trolley will be moving soon to sit beside the compressor, in it's place will be my next little project. 😁

Meanwhile, the reorganization has allowed me to find more space in the chemical cabinet. As mentioned, my polishers have been moved out, freeing up enough space to allow for more efficient spacing of the chemicals.........................................and allowing room for some more. :giggle:

IMG-3898.jpg

IMG-3897.jpg

Very pleased with my project today.
Sponsored