OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
After a HUGE couple of days at work, it was nice to arrive home to find a box of happiness waiting for me. šŸ˜

After doing two paint corrections during my holidays, I did a bit of a stock-take of my pad inventory and made a list of what I needed to replenish or add.

I had sort of put this order off but when I realized I needed to order some more Shine Supply Wise Guy, I went ahead and made up the order. Nice to see Waxit using a branded packing tape, it's a nice touch, a bit of Obsessed Garage influence here.

IMG-3216.jpg

I decided to make this order with Waxit as I think they have the better pad lineup compared to other suppliers. My preference here is Shine Mate pads, they are not THE best, but they are modestly priced and easy to use. Shine Mate offer these in flat or diamond form. The diamond type reduces heat and are more balanced, making them more user friendly.

IMG-3219.jpg

Most of these are pads I already use and like, the Shine Mate blue and yellow cover most of what I need in polishing. The blue is an intermediate pad for moderate correction, the yellow offering moderate to heavy cutting ability. For my two machines, I order these in 4 and 6 inch sizes.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/shine-mate-black-diamond-blue-foam-intermediate-cut-pad-4-6-7
https://www.waxit.com.au/collection...-diamond-yellow-foam-medium-cutting-pad-4-6-7

The Rupes 1.5 and 2.5 inch sizes are used on the iBrid Nano polisher. I really only like the yellow version of these pads, the blue one is very coarse and it frankly scares me to use it.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/rupes-bigfoot-yellow-fine-foam-pad

New to me are these green Shine Mate's. These are for heavy cutting, a pad I don't think I will need but worth having just incase. Again, both 4 and 6 inch sizes.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/shine-mate-black-diamond-green-foam-heavy-cutting-pad-4-6-7

IMG-3221.jpg

The apron I actually ordered for work, I wear an apron during the processing of bare-root trees and potting. I don't think or care if there is no cross-over between detailing and horticulture. :lol

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/carpro-apron

Side note - the postman says I'm keeping him in a job! :crackup:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
After driving around all week in cold, wet and wintery weather, and two trips to the muddy green waste tip, the Ranger really needed some attention this week. And I really wanted to try out a new product, Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel.

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel (236mL/946mL/3.8L) (detailingshed.com.au)
Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel (optimumcarcare.com)
Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel (autogeek.net)

I scrubbed the tires with undiluted Brake Buster to remove the Duragloss 253 which was applied last week.

IMG-3272.jpg

IMG-3274.jpg

I have met very few tire dressings that I didn't like, so is this a contender for regular use? Opti-Bond is less gel like than the name suggests and nor does it possess a scent. I also found it needs to be worked harder than Onyx or Perl to achieve appropriate coverage. These tires are probably not the best show piece for trailing a new product, the large sidewall always tends to exaggerate the finished results. As you can see, the finish is somewhat glossy, which I don't totally hate, and I suspect this look would be really nice on a low-profile tire.

IMG-3278.jpg

Also, take note of the Eye Irritant warning on the label! With the pop-top lid I added, when pushed down after use it squirted some right up into my eye...........not a good thing to do! :facepalm:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Also, take note of the Eye Irritant warning on the label! With the pop-top lid I added, when pushed down after use it squirted some right up into my eye...........not a good thing to do! :facepalm:
I can't believe you did that without testing it on someone else's eye first.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Leather Care by Colour Lock

Colourlock | Leather & Alcantara Cleaning Tools | Obsessed Garage (USA)
Colourlock | Car Supplies Warehouse (USA)
Colourlock leather repair, cleaning & conditioning products | COLOURLOCK Australia (Aust.)
COLOURLOCK Leather Care Products | FREE UK Delivery Available ā€“ CleanandShiny (UK)

Colour Lock are a company that produce a range of products for leather care, repair and restoration. From my point of view, a company that focuses solely on leather-based materials leads me to think they should be considered experts on the subject.

Frankly, I find automotive leather confusing. Artificial leather, Aniline leather, Refined Aniline leather, Pigmented leather, PU leather, Pull Up leather, Semi-aniline leather, Suede and Nubuck leather are all types of leather that may need to be treated differently. Save for the very upper end of the car industry, most cars fitted with "leather" will be a combination of these materials, as in real and artificial leather.

As an example, Falcon's and Mustang's have leather facings, as in the bit you sit on. The bolsters, seat sides and backs as well as the door trims are vinyl/artificial leather. Even so, that leather is most likely PU or Pigmented leather.

lvv101.jpg

So how do you care for your leather seats properly with such a variety? I'm still learning that myself, but I do know that traditional leather care products sold by some pretty big detailing brands are probably not the correct choice these days.

Colour Lock have separate products for each of the types of leather outlined above. To save my bank balance additional pain, I chose to simplify the choice by ordering mild and strong cleaners for "leather", as well as a protector for leather and artificial leather. If you know for instance you have "Aniline" leather, then certainly choose the appropriate cleaner and protectors for the application. I also added the application sponges and the Colour Lock brush.

IMG-2197.jpg

IMG-2240.jpg

The Ranger was my initial the test subject for these products, mainly because this was probably the only vehicle I had on hand that would show a difference after treatment.

For this application, I decided to use the Strong Leather Cleaner, using it on all 'leather' surfaces, real or otherwise.

IMG-2255.jpg

Apply the foaming cleaner to the brush and not directly to the leather, agitate then wipe clean with a microfiber.

IMG-2262.jpg

IMG-2259.jpg

IMG-2248.jpg

IMG-2247.jpg

IMG-2250.jpg

IMG-2258.jpg

IMG-2257.jpg

As a indication of the cleaning ability, I did a tape test. The bottom side is the cleaned section, the top side un-cleaned. As you can hopefully see, while the leather wasn't that dirty, truly clean leather should be matte in appearance.

IMG-2241.jpg

At this stage, the leather is clean and ready for some protection. (Note: The poor lighting in my garage makes the appearance shiny in the pics.)

IMG-2266.jpg

IMG-2263.jpg

This is where it gets confusing, for me at least. I ordered Leather Protector Milk, designed for use on leather that is 3 years or older. I also decided to get the Protector for Artificial Leather. If you have leather under 3 years, Colour Lock recommend the use of their Leather Shield instead.

IMG-2271.jpg

Apply a small amount of product to the foam block and work it into the leather. Don't go overboard with the product otherwise it will cause a grey appearance. Make sure the application is even and leveled, these are not products that you slather on and leave to 'soak in'. I also used a microfiber to finish off the leveling after a couple of minutes.

The Leather Milk is very much a milky appearance. I used this on the seat faces, bolsters and steering wheel.

IMG-2274.jpg

IMG-2276.jpg

IMG-2280.jpg

For the seat backs and door trims I used the Artificial Protector, which is a clear liquid. While this product goes on glossy, it does dry to a matte sheen.

IMG-2282.jpg

IMG-2284.jpg

IMG-2288.jpg

I also used the strong cleaner on the gear selector, followed up by the artificial protector.

IMG-2293.jpg

IMG-2294.jpg

IMG-2296.jpg

The end result is clean, smooth and soft feeling 'leather' with a matte sheen. (Again, the lack of light seems to make the leather shiny in the pics)

IMG-2303.jpg

IMG-2300.jpg

I really enjoyed using these products. I also like they are relatively scent free.

If you want to see these products in action, along with more explanation of leather types, I would recommend watching these two videos. They are pretty long but provide information direct from the source.

(42) Learning About ColourLock with Lars Pickhardt & Ram Iyer - Part 1 - YouTube

(42) Learning Colourlock with Lars Pickhardt & Ram Iyer - Part 2 - YouTube

Sponsored

bhalfway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Byron
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Thank you for these postsā€¦. Your time and effort is much appreciated!

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
DFB5.0

Ordered some of the Koch MP to try on my engine bay because of your advice in the thread. I keep it fairly clean and am always wiping it down with Perl, but I like the idea of spraying and closing the hood.

Additionally, I ordered some of the Gyeon Tire shine to give it a shot. I have used Endurance for years, applying it liberally and letting sit for a half hour then wiping off all excess. But, I am always interested in trying different products. The endurance usually lasts though 4-5 washes easily because I generally only use Carpro Hydro to wash the car. I have reset, but, I always reach for the Hydro come wash time.

I will order some invisible glass as well, I have like 3/4 of a big bottle of Clarify I have been using . I really like the end results with it, I also tend to use it on the shiney plastic like pur front grill. Any recommendations for items like that? The rest of the car is coated, should I just coat that plastic too?

Richatd

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
DFB5.0

Ordered some of the Koch MP to try on my engine bay because of your advice in the thread. I keep it fairly clean and am always wiping it down with Perl, but I like the idea of spraying and closing the hood.

Additionally, I ordered some of the Gyeon Tire shine to give it a shot. I have used Endurance for years, applying it liberally and letting sit for a half hour then wiping off all excess. But, I am always interested in trying different products. The endurance usually lasts though 4-5 washes easily because I generally only use Carpro Hydro to wash the car. I have reset, but, I always reach for the Hydro come wash time.

I will order some invisible glass as well, I have like 3/4 of a big bottle of Clarify I have been using . I really like the end results with it, I also tend to use it on the shiney plastic like pur front grill. Any recommendations for items like that? The rest of the car is coated, should I just coat that plastic too?

Richatd
If your engine bay is in decent condition, you can probably apply Motor Plast right over the top. It can be applied wet or dry.

You should get similar longevity out of Gyeon Tire.

For glossy black trims, you can also coat those with the ceramic on your paint. For unfinished black trim, use DLUX. Otherwise, just use your regular drying aid on them.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
After spending the day in the sleet and rain, it was quite nice to find a box of goodies arrived for me while I was at work.

IMG-3436.jpg

Annoyingly, just as Koch Chemie launched in Australia, the supply network went into overdrive, as such, a lot of the lineup has been out of stock for extended periods or not offered full stop. This is hell for someone like me when there is something I WANT, and WANT IT NOW! :facepalm:

Anyway, these are some products I have been watching for a while. I noticed two local suppliers in Australia launched or restocked a number of Koch Chemie products within the last few days.

First is Guf, a new addition to the Australian lineup. This is a non-greasy/slippery dressing designed for use on rubber floor mats, and in my case, pick-up running boards.

https://kochexperts.com/au/shop/koch...e-non-slip-1l/
https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...r-plastic-care

Second is Plast Star, a product I have seen being used for a while and one that has been on my hit list, having been out of stock for over 9 months now. Yes I know, another tyre dressing! :lol It also doubles as a exterior trim treatment, think Carpro Perl, and is oil-silicone free.

https://kochexperts.com/au/shop/plast-star-siliconolfrei/
https://detailingshed.com.au/collec...terior-plastic-plast-star-siliconolfrei-pss1l
Koch-Chemie - Plast Star Silicone-Free | The Rag Company (USA)

Third is Top Star, an interior cleaner and dressing. Again, out of stock for months. This product leaves a "long-lasting" natural sheen with added UV protection and a "fresh fragrance".

https://kochexperts.com/au/shop/top-star/
https://detailingshed.com.au/collec...ts/koch-chemie-top-star-ts-interior-semi-matt
Koch-Chemie - Top Star | The Rag Company (USA)

Lastly, a product I have wanted ever since I learned about it a couple of years ago. Although, it's not exactly that product. Eulex is a heavy-duty tar, sap, rubber and adhesive remover which has been absent from the Australian lineup from the moment the brand launched. I could not order it from the US either as it's listed as a flammable liquid.

Koch-Chemie - Eulex | The Rag Company

I have since learnt that every country has different rules about what chemicals can be legislated for sale, and it costs a lot of time and money to gain that approval. For whatever reason, Eulex fits into that category.

So when I noticed Eulex was being offered, I jumped at it. Except EUM is one of four different versions of Eulex, all considered solvents. Compared to regular EU Eulex, this one has a lower evaporation rate, a lower odor and can also be used on matte finishes, hence the "M" denotation. This version is not flammable either. A quick whiff reveals a potent smelling product, one that will be used with caution.

https://kochexperts.com/au/shop/adhesive-remover-eum/
https://detailingshed.com.au/collec...s/koch-chemie-eulex-m-eum-adhesive-remover-1l

Koch Chemie is fast becoming my favorite brand.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have mentioned in the past that I generally use soap to clean my wheels. On the occasion I use a wheel cleaner, I'm generally using P&S Brake Buster. The big selling point of Brake Buster is that it can be foamed, although for the most part, I have used the product at full strength from a trigger sprayer. As such, this is a powerful wheel, wheel arch and tire cleaner.

I tried the pump action foamer thing but did not find it efficient for my process.

jan21254.jpg

When cleaning wheels, I'm seated and have a bucket with soap and water along with various brushes and my foam cannon mounted to the side.

IMG_0761.jpg

So this is where a foam cannon comes into use with Brake Buster. Instead of soap in the bottle, I have Brake Buster at about 50/50. At this stage I will say that this foam cannon is now dedicated to wheel cleaners to avoid contamination.

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

The really good thing about this application method is that it ensures excellent coverage of what needs cleaning. And because it's in foam form, it clings to those areas for longer than just spraying it from the bottle.

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

At this dilution, it had no trouble taking care of the wheels and wheel arches, it also used far less product. However, I found it wanting as a tire cleaner, it just did not have the bite that I am accustomed too from Brake Buster. I now understand why some people question this products ability to clean tires, they are just diluting it too much. I think I will up the Brake Buster on my next attempt to get some of that grunt back.

Another product I had a play with recently was Optimum Car Wax.

Optimum Car Wax Spray (504ml/3.8L) 5 Month Durability (detailingshed.com.au)
Optimum Car Wax Spray (autogeek.net)

IMG_3407.jpg

This is a liquid spray wax, a product that is very old fashioned in these days of Si02 sprays. It initially felt a touch grabby until the towel loaded up a bit, but from then on it was very nice to use. Optimum Car Wax is said to have 5-month durability, I don't really care much about that as I'm using it as topper to an existing wax.

I also had a play with a different way of applying a tire dressing to larger SUV and Truck tires.

IMG_3411.jpg

Using a soft, short handled wheel brush, apply a liquid type dressing directly to the bristles. Then work the product in. In this case I am using Duragloss 253, but any runnier dressing could be used, think Diluted Carpro Perl, Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing or Meguiar's Hyper Dressing.

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

I like how this method made it easy to get into the chunkier grooves and right up to the edge of the rim. Well worth a try if you have a vehicle with these sort of tires.

Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
3 washes Iā€™d suggest you try.. my car is ceramic coated

Gyeon Foam - I use this as my pre wash itā€™s amazing

Gyeon Bathe - My bucket was soap

Gyeon Bathe+ - my once a month soap that acts as a topper as wellā€¦.my actual favorite.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Gyeon Bathe+ - my once a month soap that acts as a topper as wellā€¦.my actual favorite.
I current have a bottle of Carpro Reset, 2 bottles of Carpro Hydro2foam, 1 Bottle of Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz (Used as Drying Aid) and High Polish (Used as Drying Aid). I did my first attempt and paint correction and ceramic coating over the winter; some good lessons learned. So I probably will not need any soap for the rest of the year. I only wash once a month, sometimes 2 months. Especially as of late. I tend to carpool with the wife trying to keep needless miles off the car for now. But, I will keep them in mind for when it is time to buy more.

Richard

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Can't go wrong with Gyeon, solid products.

Of those, I have only used Bathe.

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

Bathe foams really well and has good lubrication. I think Carpro Reset and Koch Chemie GSF hold an edge to it though.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Can't go wrong with Gyeon, solid products.

Of those, I have only used Bathe.

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

Bathe foams really well and has good lubrication. I think Carpro Reset and Koch Chemie GSF hold an edge to it though.
You will love bathe+ if you have a ceramic coated cat heck you will love it as your go to soap even if you donā€™t have a ceramic coated car!
Sponsored