OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
See, it does get kinda dirty sometimes................

IMG-9163.jpg

The Mustang has been the errand car over the last two weeks. I tend to have the one car uncovered and driven while the others are clean and covered. I then rotate them around like this.

For the wheels, I did them OG style, as in the bucket is the carrier of tools and actually has no water or soap in it. The wheel is then rinsed and foamed with Brake Buster and the tools rinsed with the pressure washer as you go. For cleanish wheels like mine, this method works very well and saves on cleanup afterwards.

IMG-9166.jpg

I then gave the car a quick rinse down before moving into the garage for a rinse-less wash with Absolute instead of a foamed contact wash with soap.

IMG-9172.jpg
Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I wrote an opinion in another post but it didn’t seem to get many who agreed with me. My point was that paying $000s for a ceramic coating that is supposed to last 3-5 years is a waste of money if you have to “maintain“ it with a top up every 6-12 months. I suggest if that is what it takes you may aswell just use CanCoat or some other ceramic spray every 6-12 months for the same result but for much less money. Apart from the fact that most of us cannot leave our cars alone because we like the interaction with our cars, if you get a coating that is supposed to be good for 5 years then you should only need to do the weekly wash to keep it looking as it should for years. Otherwise I could say product x will last 20 years so long as you maintain it every 6 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I wrote an opinion in another post but it didn’t seem to get many who agreed with me. My point was that paying $000s for a ceramic coating that is supposed to last 3-5 years is a waste of money if you have to “maintain“ it with a top up every 6-12 months. I suggest if that is what it takes you may aswell just use CanCoat or some other ceramic spray every 6-12 months for the same result but for much less money. Apart from the fact that most of us cannot leave our cars alone because we like the interaction with our cars, if you get a coating that is supposed to be good for 5 years then you should only need to do the weekly wash to keep it looking as it should for years. Otherwise I could say product x will last 20 years so long as you maintain it every 6 months.
100% agreed. And there are several reasons why I think that ceramic coatings are a complicated prospect.

- The concept of a coating lasting beyond 2 to 3 years is not of much value if the car is swirled and needs to be polished. That's not to mean you are doing something wrong, its just how it is. Paying for a 5, 7 or 10 year coating is pointless if you end up polishing it off to correct a few "love" marks at year 3.

- Ceramic coatings are not impervious. Many people get them because of they think it means they can neglect the car...............that's just not how it works. You will still get scratches, still get etchings from bird droppings, still get water spots and iron contamination.

- As such, the coating ends up needing just as, if not more maintenance over its life compared to just applying a wax or sealant at the same intervals.

Having said that, ceramic coatings have their place. When cared for, they have certain practical benefits that will outperform a wax or sealant. That being a much higher resistance to chemicals, a certain visual appearance and the crazy water behavior. And at the end of the day, a coating doesn't necessarily mean a "car guy" won't have anything to do detailing wise.

Personally, I have a mixture of both coated and non-coated vehicles, although that's mainly out of an interest in trying different things. At the end of the day, its all about choosing what suits your needs rather than blanket statements regarding which is the best and which is the worst.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Just try saying to do ceramic coat yourself and save lots of moolah you get all the "professional applicators" saying what about this and what about that and you need to do special corrections etc. It is all a croc of xxxx. Just follow the product instructions and you are good to go. It really is not rocket science.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You do understand the maintenance is a wash and just a spray topper, right? You’re not reapplying the coating every 6-12 months. So it’s really no more difficult than any traditional decontamination wash (which I would argue everyone should do at least once a year regardless of what is on your car) and some of the toppers can be used as drying aids so in some cases it’s the exact same process as a normal wash.

I view it much like changing your oil at least twice a year even if you never hit the recommended mileage. The oil may still look clean and new but it needs to be changed for proper maintenance. Same thing for the coating refresh. I do mine twice a year because I daily my car and we use a lot of road salt here in the winter. Those in warmer climates or with cars that aren’t driven daily may only have to do it once a year.

Yes, if you have it done professionally it can be pretty costly. You’re paying mostly labor for the wash and paint correction. Applying the coating itself is not much different than applying your favorite wax or sealant. So, if you’re decent with a polisher you can do the correction yourself and save a ton of $$.

I do understand ceramic coatings aren’t everyone’s cup of tea and some prefer sealants or traditional waxes. I totally respect that. Just trying to help inform that the maintenance of ceramic coatings isn’t as involved as some think it is.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
The company that ceramic coated my car was probably one of the first to offer the service here and their carpark is usually filled with everything from cars we dream about to daily drivers, usually more of the former. They're also the Australian agent for their product. I asked about 'top ups' and their view was that ceramic coating is robust (removal requires an abrasive), doesn't really deteriorate and should only need maintenance in the form of washing and a drying aid. They also mentioned that a few people like to bring their cars back for a top up but in their view it's more about customer preference and perceived need than necessity. YMMV

Last edited:

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The company that ceramic coated my car was probably one of the first to offer the service here and their carpark is usually filled with everything from cars we dream about to daily drivers, usually more of the former. They're also the Australian agent for their product. I asked about 'top ups' and their view was that ceramic coating is robust (removal requires and abrasive), doesn't really deteriorate and should only need maintenance in the form of washing and a drying aid. They also mentioned that a few people like to bring their cars back for a top up but in their view it's more about customer preference and perceived need than necessity. YMMV
Exactly what I was trying to say but maybe didn’t say it so clearly. If you pay the big bucks then you shouldn’t have to keep adding layers of SiO2 on top. Wash & shine with a drying aid is not what I was referring to.

Reactions: PKs

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Exactly what I was trying to say but maybe didn’t say it so clearly. If you pay the big bucks then you shouldn’t have to keep adding layers of SiO2 on top. Wash & shine with a drying aid is not what I was referring to.
Let’s clarify. You do not “have” to do anything. But we do for the same reason we used to add layer after layer of wax to our cars. We are insane. If one layer is good 10 must be better. We want more shine, more hydrophobicity. It’s never enough.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Latest Detailing Shed order................

IMG-9176.jpg

Two new to me products, Gyeon Q2M Foam and 3D Pink Car Soap.

Gyeon Q2M Snow Foam 1L/4L (detailingshed.com.au)
3D Pink Car Soap (473ml/3.78L/20L) (detailingshed.com.au)

3D is new to Detailing Shed, a US brand aimed at professional detailers. Pink Car Soap is very well priced for what you get, a gallon is just under $44, and is pH "balanced". The consistency is ultra thick, not an ideal thing in my book, and I'm really interested to see how it foams. A quick pH test reveals it being just above neutral, hence the "balanced" term, reading at 7.8.

IMG-9185.jpg

Gyeon Q2M Foam is one that I have heard a lot of good things about. Interestingly, Gyeon do not list a pH level for this product, be that on their own website or its distributors.

Q²M FOAM - Gyeon

Terms like "pre-wash foaming agent" or "a highly effective first step in the cleansing process" is the clue. Testing Q2M Foam revealed a pH of about 11.95.

IMG-9180.jpg

Which is line with the sister brand's similar product..................

IMG-4554.jpg

So that's where the cleaning ability comes from. This not a bad thing, far from it. As a stronger soap to use occasionally on a ceramic coated vehicle, this product would be great thing to have on hand. On a waxed vehicle, I would probably only use this as a strip wash prior to reapplying said wax.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue

IMG-9176.jpg

3D is new to Detailing Shed, a US brand aimed at professional detailers. Pink Car Soap is very well priced for what you get, a gallon is just under $44, and is pH "balanced". The consistency is ultra thick, not an ideal thing in my book, and I'm really interested to see how it foams. A quick pH test reveals it being just above neutral, hence the "balanced" term, reading at 7.8.

IMG-9185.jpg

Gyeon Q2M Foam is one that I have heard a lot of good things about. Interestingly, Gyeon do not list a pH level for this product, be that on their own website or its distributors.

Q²M FOAM - Gyeon

Terms like "pre-wash foaming agent" or "a highly effective first step in the cleansing process" is the clue. Testing Q2M Foam revealed a pH of about 11.95.

IMG-9180.jpg

IMG-4554.jpg

So that's where the cleaning ability comes from. This not a bad thing, far from it. As a stronger soap to use occasionally on a ceramic coated vehicle, this product would be great thing to have on hand. On a waxed vehicle, I would probably only use this as a strip wash prior to reapplying said wax.
I have a bottle of Gyeon Foam and have used it at least twice now. I do indeed compare it to Lift. I'ts amazing how much all the top shelf detailing products overlap. I was messing around last night and looked at both Carpro Eraser and Gyeon prep. I took the lids off and smelled of them, they smell absolutely identical. Same fragrance. Hmm, I guess I will buy whichever one is cheaper as they both work fantastic :) Same with Bathe+ and Carpro Hydro Foam, Iron X snow and Restart. Only brand I have found that sorta goes their own way is KCx, theirs are a little different.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have a bottle of Gyeon Foam and have used it at least twice now. I do indeed compare it to Lift. I'ts amazing how much all the top shelf detailing products overlap. I was messing around last night and looked at both Carpro Eraser and Gyeon prep. I took the lids off and smelled of them, they smell absolutely identical. Same fragrance. Hmm, I guess I will buy whichever one is cheaper as they both work fantastic :) Same with Bathe+ and Carpro Hydro Foam, Iron X snow and Restart. Only brand I have found that sorta goes their own way is KCx, theirs are a little different.
From what I have been told, Carpro and Gyeon products are made in the same factory, so the cross-over in products is not all that surprising.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

IMG-9176.jpg

IMG-9185.jpg

Q²M FOAM - Gyeon

IMG-9180.jpg

IMG-4554.jpg

3D makes good stuff. Their one step polish, 3D One, is one of my go-to’s. I’d say it’s right up there with Sonax. Gyeon Foam has been on my list but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet as I still have a half bottle of Lift. I’ll give it try after I finish off my bottle of Lift

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
From what I have been told, Carpro and Gyeon products are made in the same factory, so the cross-over in products is not all that surprising.
I do know I really like Gyeon stuff. Bathe is amazing. I use it a lot now. Although I like Reset better.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I do know I really like Gyeon stuff. Bathe is amazing. I use it a lot now. Although I like Reset better.
Have you tried Bathe+? Is has Si02. Excellent on coated and not coated cars. I also use it with Gyeon Ceramic Detailer. An excellent combo.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried Bathe+? Is has Si02. Excellent on coated and not coated cars. I also use it with Gyeon Ceramic Detailer. An excellent combo.
Haven't yet. I've got Carpro Hydro snow foam. When I run out I plan to get some. I do love the Gyeon ceramic detailer though. I've got wet coat and Hydro2. Both pretty much the same thing.
Sponsored