What's In DFB's Cabinet?

408cuda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
66 cuda, 21 Ram 3500 dually, 21 Bronco
Hope you're healing up well. Keep reading and the pain in your elbow will soon be overshadowed by the pain in your wallet .... :giggle:
Ya also slows down the healing process when the wife sees what I’m buying and hits me lol.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Holiday Project Two - Cleaning An Old Chainsaw

This project has also been on the cards for a while too after I was given this saw by a Neighbour recently. This saw has a somewhat emotional attachment, we once went firewood collecting with this Neighbour's husband, this saw was the workhorse and I looked at it with lustful eyes.

After he died, the saw was taken out of its locked cabinet and left hanging on a hook in the open garage. Due to a spate of crime in the street recently, I mentioned it would probably be a good idea to put the saw in a safer place. She then offered it to me, mentioning that it was not something she could ever use. Not wanting the thing stolen or given to someone who wouldn't give it a second chance like I would had me nodding instantly. Not that I needed another chainsaw, having three already including a brand-new MS 271, a refurbished 009L and a battery powered MSA 140C.

From what I can gather, this Stihl 028 AV Super was made in the late 80's, so almost as old as I am. The AV designation stands for Anti-Vibration, Super is in reference to the larger 51.5cc engine this model has over the regular 47cc 028. It has not run in many years; the fuel lines are perished and overall, it's absolutely filthy. Smells bad too.

The plan was to clean it as much as I possibly could, allowing either me or the local Stihl dealer to sort out the mechanical problems. For context, this is what I was starting with..........

IMG-6575.jpg

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I had planned this all out in advance, having a generous supply of cleaning chemicals and solvents, parts trays and drop sheets all ready to go.

IMG-6917.jpg

I also decided to try out a product I bought with no particular use in mind, Bilt Hamber Surfex.............see, there is a small link to car detailing.

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...and-degreaser-apc?_pos=1&_sid=8124cc090&_ss=r

IMG-6913.jpg

Bilt Hmaber Surfex is a water based heavy duty all-purpose-cleaner and degreaser. It's extremely concentrated and can be diluted right down to 0.5% or used at 100% for heavy duty applications. In my case, I cut it at 1:1 in an old spray bottle, it's ability here was stunning, more on that later.

Despite there being 35+ years difference between my new MS 271 and this 028, it's amazing how similar they are in overall layout. These are very simple to strip down, in this case I started by removing the sprocket cover, bar and chain. The bar and chain will be replaced, but I washed them anyway.

Removal of the orange top covers, the recoil, chain brake, handle and finally the outer muffler cover followed. Each set of components had it's own tray, keeping everything organized. As each part was removed, I soaked them down with Surfex and left till later.

IMG-6921.jpg

IMG-6923.jpg

IMG-6928.jpg

The muffler is a two-piece design, the drilled outer cover was removed and cleaned with Surfex and a wire brush. Surprisingly, the removable spark arrestor screen was clean and clear.

IMG-6924.jpg

IMG-6926.jpg

This is as far as I stripped it down. I could have gone further in removing the dogs, the primary section of the muffler, the flywheel and clutch cover but felt this was enough.

IMG-6930.jpg

I then started working through each parts tray, starting with the handle which I cleaned, wiped with IPA and then touched up some of the black paint that had long worn away.

IMG-6932.jpg

Each set of components were further doused with Surfex, scrubbed with an old detailing brush and rinsed with the hose. As mentioned earlier, the Surfex worked wonders here, dissolving most of the dirt, oil and sawdust with ease. If you do stuff like this yourself, using Surfex is certainly a nicer thing to use compared to more harsh solvents.

IMG-6935.jpg

Having said that, some parts needed more persuasion with degreaser and some scraping. The recoil cover was the worst, the myriad of vent holes all caked in oil and dirt which necessitated several rounds of degreaser, agitation and rinsing to get presentable. I also needed compressed air here too.

Finally, the part I was dreading, the body of the saw.

IMG-6938.jpg

There is no other way of putting it, but this was not a pleasant job. I had oil, dirt and grease all over myself. I used compressed air to blast away as much as I could, followed by several rounds of Surfex, brushing and rinsing. I then used compressed air to blast away as much water and any remaining chunks of gunk.

Back on my fabulous work bench, the tray of my Ranger, ready for a final wipe over and reassembly. Granted, some of this will be removed again when the mechanical work starts, at least it will be more pleasant to work on being clean.

IMG-6940.jpg

Before we get to the finished result, this is how it looked in my Neighbours garage a couple of months ago...............

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

And now the results................

IMG-6944.jpg

IMG-6945.jpg

IMG-6952.jpg

IMG-6953.jpg

IMG-6954.jpg

IMG-6955.jpg

I have decided to leave the mechanical work to the local Stihl dealer. The carby will need rebuilding and the fuel system overhauled, the fuel lines crumbled as I cleaned the air box. It needs a new air cleaner as the material has broken down. I also want them to check the oiling system and will have them supply and install a new spark plug, bar and chain. The old, mangled bar cover went straight in the bin, I have a brand-new replacement waiting for it.

So, a departure from usual proceedings in here, although still along the lines of taking something and making it look better. I'm super happy with how it came up, certainly well used but a complete transformation compared to what I started with. A brand-new bar will make a big difference too.
I picked up my "new" Stihl 028AV Super today after a month at the Stihl dealer. As you can see, I also brought home a Woodsman Case for it to live in.

IMG-7648.jpg

IMG-7651.jpg

I knew it was going to take a while for it to be ready, it needed a lot of work combined with a backlog of work on their part and delays with parts. Not that I'm complaining, I left it with them with a "whatever it needs" mandate.

IMG-7647.jpg

The list of replacements was extensive -

- 16 inch bar
- 16 inch 325 26RMC chain
- Spur sproket
- Clutch Spring
- Fuel pickup hose
- Impulse Line
- Pickup body (fuel filter?)
- Inlet Manifold
- Air Filter
- Spark Plug
- Oil Cap
- Fuel Cap

Other items included a carburetor rebuild and lubricant on the clutch bearing and recoil assembly. Then of course it was retuned an given a test run.

I started it up and did a couple of cuts with it this afternoon, and it's sounding VERY healthy. One pull on the choke, one pull off choke and she idles so smoothly. It's also got brilliant throttle response, building to a rowdy top end scream. This saw has some grunt for sure, I think being run-in compared to my brand-new MS 271 makes a big difference in how it responds to throttle and runs so hard at the top end.

I am absolutely over the moon with the result. The mechanical work cost about what I thought it would, and I'm pleased that genuine Stihl parts were used. To spend this sort of money on a 34-year-old chainsaw is probably not the best financial decision, but it was never about the money with this project. It has sentimental value, something that I consider priceless. And the fact that it runs so good, it would have been a shame to have left it to rot, throw it away or have it stolen.

In honor of my Neighbour, the machine will from now on be named Bill.

Sponsored

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
I picked up my "new" Stihl 028AV Super today after a month at the Stihl dealer. As you can see, I also brought home a Woodsman Case for it to live in.

IMG-7648.jpg

IMG-7651.jpg

I knew it was going to take a while for it to be ready, it needed a lot of work combined with a backlog of work on their part and delays with parts. Not that I'm complaining, I left it with them with a "whatever it needs" mandate.

IMG-7647.jpg

The list of replacements was extensive -

- 16 inch bar
- 16 inch 325 26RMC chain
- Spur sproket
- Clutch Spring
- Fuel pickup hose
- Impulse Line
- Pickup body (fuel filter?)
- Inlet Manifold
- Air Filter
- Spark Plug
- Oil Cap
- Fuel Cap

Other items included a carburetor rebuild and lubricant on the clutch bearing and recoil assembly. Then of course it was retuned an given a test run.

I started it up and did a couple of cuts with it this afternoon, and it's sounding VERY healthy. One pull on the choke, one pull off choke and she idles so smoothly. It's also got brilliant throttle response, building to a rowdy top end scream. This saw has some grunt for sure, I think being run-in compared to my brand-new MS 271 makes a big difference in how it responds to throttle and runs so hard at the top end.

I am absolutely over the moon with the result. The mechanical work cost about what I thought it would, and I'm pleased that genuine Stihl parts were used. To spend this sort of money on a 34-year-old chainsaw is probably not the best financial decision, but it was never about the money with this project. It has sentimental value, something that I consider priceless. And the fact that it runs so good, it would have been a shame to have left it to rot, throw it away or have it stolen.

In honor of my Neighbour, the machine will from now on be named Bill.
They don't make em like they used to so you probably get another 34 years out of that whereas a new one maybe not so likely . I am a bit of a cheapskate and just buy the Edison disposable saws , i mean $140 for a 75cc 22 inch bar chainsaw , if it lasts 2 years i am fine with that , surprisingly good tbh

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
They don't make em like they used to so you probably get another 34 years out of that whereas a new one maybe not so likely
This old 028 is metal where my brand-new MS 271 is plastic, so I have no reason to doubt that statement.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I picked up my "new" Stihl 028AV Super today after a month at the Stihl dealer.
I thought the bridge was burned with the Stihl dealer standing on it? What am I missing?

Awesome project, great outcome.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I thought the bridge was burned with the Stihl dealer standing on it? What am I missing?

Awesome project, great outcome.
Different dealer, probably the only place in town I would trust with my machines from now on. I would have otherwise worked on it myself. Considering how fiddly and dangerous chainsaws are, I'm happy to have left it to them, not to mention finding correct spare parts. After the strip down and clean, I sort of knew what was needing attention and included a list of items I wanted changed or inspected. They did a great job and will be getting more work from me in the future.

The place I have been arguing with is a multi-brand general mower shop. The last time I was there, it looked like they were only interested in selling expensive zero-turn mowers and had little interest in doing or selling anything else, in the process ruling out a LOT of potential customers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Which model EGO blower are you using?
EGO LB765..........................

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4998.jpg

Make sure to get a stubby nozzle as well, way more application appropriate.............

Stubby Car Drying Nozzle for EGO Leaf Blowers 530 575 580 - Etsy Australia

IMG_5849.jpg

IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

I actually got my father a LB530 for Christmas and it certainly lacks the balls of the 765. The 530 is fine for yardwork but I feel the like the 765 is a much fitter beast. I would also look at the 650, but apparently it produces a very high pitched shrill, something the 765 lacks.

ECSIII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have the LB5804 with the stubby nozzle and protector, and both the 2.5amp and 5.0amp batteries. The 580 does a decent job for me of drying the GT Convertible. One exception is holding the unit at head height trying to remove water from the convertible top and somewhat dry it. Even with the lighter 2.5amp battery attached, that kills my arms after doing it for several minutes - just an old age thing I guess.

My wife uses an LB5302 for blowing leaves and small debris. She's quite happy with it.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have the LB5804 with the stubby nozzle and protector, and both the 2.5amp and 5.0amp batteries. The 580 does a decent job for me of drying the GT Convertible. One exception is holding the unit at head height trying to remove water from the convertible top and somewhat dry it. Even with the lighter 2.5amp battery attached, that kills my arms after doing it for several minutes - just an old age thing I guess.

My wife uses an LB5302 for blowing leaves and small debris. She's quite happy with it.
I looked at the 580 as well, but it had been discontinued shortly before I was in the market.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Different sort of detailing today, applying Gtechniq Marine Rinse-on Ceramic to my father's boat.

GTECHNIQ MARINE RINSE-ON CERAMIC Easy Application 3Month Durability (detailingshed.com.au) (AUS)
Gtechniq - Rinse-On-Ceramic | The Rag Company (US)
Gtechniq Rinse-on Ceramic Coating | Boat & UV Protection — Slims Detailing (UK)

IMG-7663.jpg

Consider this product like the marine version of Carpro Hydr02, Gyeon Wet Coat or Gtechniq's own Easy Coat. Application is similar with the exception that the Gtechniq versions are applied through a hose attachment. Rinse with water first, then hose the product onto the surface in sections, then rinse again with water. Stated longevity is said to be 3 months.

This boat was still in the river when it flooded last year. With how the situation developed so quickly, the old man didn't take it out of the water in time. I had fully expected the ratchet strap/rope that was holding the boat to a very large gum tree on the bank to snap as the water rose. Thankfully, someone in a tinnie was kind enough to loosen it off, saving the boat. The only damage was to one of the tubular rails which has since been repaired.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I never win anything, so you can imagine my excitement when notified that I had been selected for the January prize package from The Detail Store. :dance

https://www.detailstore.com.au/

IMG-7681.jpg

And the product inclusions are not token gestures either!

Apex Customs Streak Free Glass Towel, $14.90 -
https://www.detailstore.com.au/collections/apex-customs/products/apex-customs-glass-towel-dark-grey

Koch Chemie S0-02 is a high-gloss paint sealant. An expensive one at that, retailing for $91.95.
https://www.detailstore.com.au/coll...roducts/koch-chemie-s0-02-spray-sealant-500ml

Koch Chemie All Round Quick Shine, an all-purpose quick detailer, $25.95 -
https://www.detailstore.com.au/coll...oducts/koch-chemie-allround-quick-shine-500ml

Aenso Vega Odor Neutralizer, $39.95 -
https://www.detailstore.com.au/collections/aenso/products/aenso-vega-odor-neutralizer-500ml

Herrenfahrt Ultra Gloss & Quick Detailer, $33.90 -
https://www.detailstore.com.au/coll...oducts/herrenfahrt-ultra-gloss-detailer-300ml

Apex Customs Bottle Opener Keychain, $4.90 -
https://www.detailstore.com.au/collections/apex-customs/products/apex-customs-bottle-opener-keychain

The cool thing is, these are all products I have never used or seriously considered. Total RRP tallies up to $211.55, on what was supposed to be a $100 prize pack! :dance
Sponsored