What's A Really Good Tire Pressure Gauge

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Just a tip that a 300$ tire gauge won't tell you. If you want the pressures to read the same, the tires need to be the same temperature. SO say for instance you just came to a quick stop from high speed, the front tires might be a bit hotter than the back and the pressure will show higher. You might be tempted to go let some air out, but don't. same after doing a burnout, but for the rear tires. Once the tire return to a similar temperature so will the pressures. going around corners and just driving in the day time and its nearly impossible to keep the tires the same temperature.

Its not an inaccurate gauge thats causing your OCD, just stop looking at and thinking about the dash gauges. Don't waste the money.

Useing the gas sation air, I would say overfill them a bit like 38 PSI. Drive home and park the car. In the morning at like 5:00am just before the sun comes up check the pressures. slowly release the air and set them all the same at the reccomended 32psi. Don't try to change them after the tires are hot from that pressure.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Most of the digital gages, regardless of the price are just about the same in terms of accuracy. Jaco ones on Amazon are cheap but they'll also really slow in their readings (which matters to me) - compared to Longacre one I've been using.

THey will all read about the same so do not waste your money - and if your goal is just to have all tires at the same pressure (and not get the absolute pressure value right - for example if you wanted 32.7 psi shows by the gauge to be exactly 32.7 psi - which would be definition of insanity) you'll be fine with anything. Even ones from Autozone.

I've tested a bunch of them - $20 ones read same as $300 Intercomps (no, I did not buy one).

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I race, or used to, so sometimes we would make .5 psi adjustments to tire pressures on tire changes. So I like accurate predictable gauges.

OP
OP
KingKona

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Sponsored

OP
OP
KingKona

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Most of the digital gages, regardless of the price are just about the same in terms of accuracy. Jaco ones on Amazon are cheap but they'll also really slow in their readings (which matters to me) - compared to Longacre one I've been using.

THey will all read about the same so do not waste your money - and if your goal is just to have all tires at the same pressure (and not get the absolute pressure value right - for example if you wanted 32.7 psi shows by the gauge to be exactly 32.7 psi - which would be definition of insanity) you'll be fine with anything. Even ones from Autozone.

I've tested a bunch of them - $20 ones read same as $300 Intercomps (no, I did not buy one).
My cheap one reads differently from one check/press to the next, half a second later.

Gotta get the damn tire PSI read-out on the dash close enough!!!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
My cheap one reads differently from one check/press to the next, half a second later.

Gotta get the damn tire PSI read-out on the dash close enough!!!
I've been using Longacre 52-53003 for last two years. Works well.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I've got a cheap Slime gauge. No need to waste money on something more expensive unless you're a professional racer. Accurate to 0.5 pounds and has a backlit display. What more could you want for $10 or $11.

Amazon.com: Slime Digital Sport Tire Pressure Gauge : Automotive
Since, you ask..... As a minimum requirement I'd want a release valve and a hose so I can have the readout straight in front of my eyes at a distance I want. $10 is good but not if I had to do without those features.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Since, you ask..... As a minimum requirement I'd want a release valve and a hose so I can have the readout straight in front of my eyes at a distance I want. $10 is good but not if I had to do without those features.
You don't need a release valve. I bleed pressure just fine with my cheap Slime gauge. It doesn't technically have a pressure relief valve, but angle the damn thing so it isn't going straight into the valve stem and voila! It hits the valve stem pin inside and releases air. You have a makeshift way to release pressure.

Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, however I have used a reasonable facsimile to this for 35 years with ZERO complaints.

You wanna know the kicker? I set my tires COLD to 32 psi to that gauge, heat the tires by running 5 miles or so at highway speeds, the tire pressure feature from the TPMS sensors reads 35 psi (+/- 1 psi) in the car. AMAZING!!!

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
I just got this one a few days ago. Probably should have got the analog version, but...oh well.

Jaco ElitePro

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Joe's Racing is one purveyor of "decent" gauges. Then there's Snap-on
tenor.gif

I have to admire the naming simplicity here. He's like, "My name is Joe. I make racing stuff. I'm calling the company Joe's Racing stuff" 😁

Decided to buy one of Joe's tire pressure gauges, that clever marketing just sucked me right in 🤣

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Joe’s Racing is No BS
The machining tool paths are incredible, all the fitting wrench flats are orientated the same and the gauge glows in the dark.
The best fill, bleed & read gauge next to Intercomp.
Sponsored

Last edited: