Sponsored

What's a good ceramic coating for a black car?

Crosschek9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I had a Black 2019 GT and used Carpro Cquartz 3.0. Got excellent results. I subsequently used it on other cars and had similar results. Relatively easy on and off procedure. I used Gyeon CanCoat for maintenance. Also a great product.
Sponsored

OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I like Bead Maker but my new favorite for slickness is Adams Slick N Slide. That stuff is really slick and applies so easily.
Bead maker did better on my wife’s car which doesn’t have a coating on it. Brought out a shine and seems to hold up decent.
But didn’t like it in my car which have Gyeon Pure. Did want to smear and didn’t do much to help the shine

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Bead maker did better on my wife’s car which doesn’t have a coating on it. Brought out a shine and seems to hold up decent.
But didn’t like it in my car which have Gyeon Pure. Did want to smear and didn’t do much to help the shine
Yeah I definitely don't use it as much as I used to. Have pretty much switched to Adams Slick N Slide. It gives the same slickness but is easier to apply and doesn't streak as much. I also like Koch Chemie Quick N Shine and CarPro Elixir. Elixir can smear and streak though, but lasts a few weeks. QS is a wash to wash type of product.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I ordered a gallon jug of the P&S Paint Gloss spray from Amazon thanks guys.
I use Dream Maker as well, I tend to switch between that and the Paint Gloss. Dream Maker is a bit harder to apply for not enough benefit over Paint Gloss. I put Paint Gloss on everything, windows, mirrors, windshield wipers, license plate. Typically spray and wipe after blowing off 90% of the water off.

On my silver and white trucks, I use P&S Bead Maker every time. Doesn't show the smears, holds up and looks great. Just isn't great on black due to dust.
So good to see some love for Paint Gloss!

While it doesn't really offer much in the way of protection, which is probably a good thing if used as a drying aid, it's so easy and forgiving to use. Smells amazing too, very addictive. Unlike Bead Maker, you can use as much or as little Paint Gloss as you like, and as often as you like. And unlike Dream Maker, Paint Gloss doesn't act like a petulant child by smearing and ghosting.

You can use Paint Gloss as an interior detailer as well, leaving a gorgeous scent behind afterwards. I also use it as an anti-static agent when vacuuming carpet that is laced with pet hair and sand, just mist it onto the carpet and begin vacuuming, works surprisingly well.

IMG-2080.jpg

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Can you apply a coating over another coating. I wish gyeon pure felt slick
Some dual layer coatings are applied in tandem to deliver the durable base layer, the secondary coat provides slickness, increased gloss and water behavior. Think Gtechniq CSL topped with EXO, or Carpro Cquartz UK3.0 topped with Gliss. I don't think you can apply these secondary layers beyond a certain time period though.

With Gyeon Pure, I applied a layer of Cure an hour later, which brings the slickness to the table. Otherwise, use something like Paint Gloss or Gyeon Ceramic Detailer as a drying aid.

I'm guessing that Pure EVO had already enhanced the paint to the point where even Bead Maker couldn't have improved upon.

I actually had to polish the trunk lid of the Jaguar the other day to remove some pretty nasty scratches, in turn taking the Pure EVO coating with it. The interesting thing was the colour tone difference between the still coated adjacent panels and the now bare trunk lid, the coated sections noticeably darker and richer.

Sponsored

blackk3389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
'19 BULLITT#3389, '03 cobra vert#2198,2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have also ued Detailing Products(DP) Need For Bead. have also had great results with that. can be applied over any wax or coating. super hydrophobic

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Think Gtechniq CSL topped with EXO, or Carpro Cquartz UK3.0 topped with Gliss.
D: For the SiO2 coatings I have applied, I only used a single coat of CQuartz. That was over three years ago and now, it seems the trend has gone to two coats so that is what I was planning for Sarah.

However, after your post above, you've recommended using a different coating from the same outfit as the second coat. My plan was to try two coats of the new DQuartz but after reading your post, I have a few questions:

1) Why not two coats of DQuartz vice DQuartz and Gliss (or something else)?

2)I have never used Gliss and I'm wondering if the reason for switching from the original coating for a second coat is perhaps a quicker or easier/less messy process than DQuartz?

And, since Gliss is an "entry-level" coating, wouldn't two coats of DQuartz give longer protection?

The interesting thing was the colour tone difference between the still coated adjacent panels and the now bare trunk lid, the coated sections noticeably darker and richer.
That sort of surprising observation is what makes us tick, right? <big grin>

Finally back to where I post a photo that was meant to be attached to the earlier post.
LOVED this photo, Travis and the second one really shows that great color. And, in case you don't know, I have a thing for digital images. <smile> I also keep a gallery of what I think are excellent shots of Mustangs and Shelbys and yours will be added to the collection, assuming you don't mind.

Here's my take, Travis..cropped, edited, and upsampled to standard iPhone image dimensions. Your phone did an excellent job with the exposure, all I did was some tweaking, sharpening, and simulated lens blur. I doubt you can see most of the changes on a phone display but if you pull each image up at 100 percent resolution on a notebook or desktop display (or, print them,) you will.

Editing images, while time-consuming, is therapy for my brain. <grin>

travis-five-oh.jpg

Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
D: For the SiO2 coatings I have applied, I only used a single coat of CQuartz. That was over three years ago and now, it seems the trend has gone to two coats so that is what I was planning for Sarah.

However, after your post above, you've recommended using a different coating from the same outfit as the second coat. My plan was to try two coats of the new DQuartz but after reading your post, I have a few questions:

2)I have never used Gliss and I'm wondering if the reason for switching from the original coating for a second coat is perhaps a quicker or easier/less messy process than DQuartz?

And, since Gliss is an "entry-level" coating, wouldn't two coats of DQuartz give longer protection?

That sort of surprising observation is what makes us tick, right? <big grin>

LOVED this photo, Travis and the second one really shows that great color. And, in case you don't know, I have a thing for digital images. <smile> I also keep a gallery of what I think are excellent shots of Mustangs and Shelbys and yours will be added to the collection, assuming you don't mind.

Here's my take, Travis..cropped, edited, and upsampled to standard iPhone image dimensions. Your phone did an excellent job with the exposure, all I did was some tweaking, sharpening, and simulated lens blur. I doubt you can see most of the changes on a phone display but if you pull each image up at 100 percent resolution on a notebook or desktop display (or, print them,) you will.

Editing images, while time-consuming, is therapy for my brain. <grin>

travis-five-oh.jpg
I saved that photo. Thank you.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
However, after your post above, you've recommended using a different coating from the same outfit as the second coat.
I am also going to different coating for the second coat... but from a COMPLETELY different manufacturer:

IMG_1030.JPG

I'm still working out the "wrinkle-effect" which is a well-known problem with this technique.
I have reached out to @DFB5.0, Matt Moreman w/Obsessed Garage, and I even reached out to Gyeon's Technical Department, and all of them acted like they have never even heard of Saran-ic Wrap Coating.
I believe Gyeon understands the problem.... even "Cling-Wrap" will not "cling" to Gyeon's coating. And it will only be a matter of time until they are named as another Defendant in a defective coating lawsuit.
I also believe that DFB5.0 and Matt Moreman (Upper Crust of detailing Guru's) are a bit jealous of this technique that they are well behind the curve on this groundbreaking method.

I also keep a gallery of what I think are excellent shots of Mustangs and Shelbys and yours will be added to the collection, assuming you don't mind.
Once I work out the wrinkle-effect issue, I grant you permission to add my Saran-ic Wrap Coating Shelby to your collection.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

I wouldn't say the trend has gone to two coats. To be clear, "two coats" is different to "two layer coating".

Two Coats - this is applying consecutive coats of the same coating. Yes, you will get superior longevity from two coats of the same coating if done as the manufacturer directed. However, the overall behavior (gloss, slickness and water behavior) will be the same.

Two Layer Coating - this is in reference to a base layer and a top layer system from the same brand. This could be Carpro CQuartz UK topped with Gliss, or Gtechniq CSL topped with EXO.

Why Would You Use a Two Layer Coating - to be clear, using the examples above, Cquartz UK or CSL can absolutely be used on their own and deliver excellent performance. The reason why coating manufacturers started making secondary layers such as Gliss and EXO was to deliver certain qualities missing from the base layer coating. A lot of long-lasting ceramic coatings lack that slick feel a traditional wax would bring, so adding a secondary (and separate) layer brings that quality back. In other words, the second layer is for sensory pleasure.

My Preference - personally, I don't want to be applying two different coatings to get that ultra slick feel to the paint. I also rate slickness as a high priority. As such, that rules out a lot of coatings. In which case, that means finding a single layer coating that can satisfy my need for slickness. That's where Gyeon Mohs, Carpro Dquartz or Armour Detail Quartz comes into the equation.

I hope that makes sense.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I saved that photo. Thank you.
Once I work out the wrinkle-effect issue, I grant you permission to add my Saran-ic Wrap Coating Shelby to your collection.
<BIG grin> Glad you liked the photo edit, Travis, no thanks needed, I love making images more better. <smile> SO, let me know when I can put your girl on The Web. <wink>

In other words, the second layer is for sensory pleasure.
In which case, that means finding a single layer coating that can satisfy my need for slickness. That's where Gyeon Mohs, Carpro Dquartz or Armour Detail Quartz comes into the equation.
ANOTHER REVELATION! Your description and logic are sound D and, I will be going the single-layer route with DQuartz...many, many, many thanks!
Sponsored