Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Except younger buyers cannot afford it.

And they look hideous in an old man's Mercedes as well.
I've been driven in an S-class where the entire dashboard, from one end to the other, was just a giant screen. It was giving me nausea even as a passenger, sitting in the rear. I don't even want to imagine having to see it every day as a driver. It felt like a discoteque on wheels. šŸ¤®

Of course it will sell. There are even worse and/or uglier things in the world which sell like hot cakes. Besides, people who want a new Mustang won't have a choice; it's gonna be fugly screens or nothing. Many will decide they can live with the screen if that's the only option, like one can get used to living with arthritis.
When I was taking a few marketing classes in college and digging into how things worked. I realized the vast majority of people are stupid and fit certain demographics. Most people buying these mustangs will see the screens and think they are "fancy", "high tech" and "look like a BMW". The real car enthusiast is in the minority. On the record I actually prefer the interior on my 2022 over the new one. I also custom ordered my mustang without digital dash because I prefer the physical cluster gauge. Less things to go wrong and it will age better. To me screens are cheaper to make and easier to replace. But I can`t sit here and drive my 2022 mustang for the rest of my life. Let me also mention I am a millennial.
Sponsored

Reactions: DRB

RedBased

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Base
When I was taking a few marketing classes in college and digging into how things worked. I realized the vast majority of people are stupid and fit certain demographics. Most people buying these mustangs will see the screens and think they are "fancy", "high tech" and "look like a BMW". The real car enthusiast is in the minority. On the record I actually prefer the interior on my 2022 over the new one. I also custom ordered my mustang without digital dash because I prefer the physical cluster gauge. Less things to go wrong and it will age better. To me screens are cheaper to make and easier to replace. But I can`t sit here and drive my 2022 mustang for the rest of my life. Let me also mention I am a millennial.
Wow I got my 22 with the regular cluster gauges and I'm a millennial too.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Getting the digital dash was one of several reasons I traded my '16 for a '20. The other big one was wanting the performance package.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Who is Ford trying to sell to? GTs cost too much for most people in their 20s. The middle aged guys I know who like Mustangs end up buying pickups because of the utility.
Or Jeep Wranglers and Broncos.

(Except Ford can't get their shit together with the latter, so Wrangler it is.)

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Of course, Ford always expects to sell a lot more Ecoboosts than GTs.

Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Obviously, they were thinking that digital instrument clusters are quickly becoming widespread and accepted in new cars, especially among younger buyers, and they're making a new car that they hope younger buyers will purchase.
Plus the screens are cheaper than physical indicators and switches now, so Ford pays less to build it and charges more for it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Plus the screens are cheaper than physical indicators and switches now, so Ford pays less to build it and charges more for it.
and can charge for 'skins'. Welcome to the Ford screen Store. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop - $$/hr of heater capability logorithmically tied to the delta between desired and outside temp.

NavyNut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jean-yves
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
I really like it love the tech in it but I wonder in the long run how's all that tech gonna hold.

Deleted member 69033

First reaction was itā€™s ok. Nothing there to force an upgrade for me.
Ha, that's my favorite part about it...

I do think it looks a little more camaro-like. It's certainly not what I expected. I thought there would be a much larger body difference than the 550. Not hugely different.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Getting the digital dash was one of several reasons I traded my '16 for a '20. The other big one was wanting the performance package.
im the opposite. love my analog gauges. can't wait till everyone figures out this EV push is just a big scam by people making tons of cash off cars that create more polution than what they're supposed to replace.

glad i got mine in under the wire.

Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I think the 2024 looks great from the side but terrible from the front. I agree with some others that it's more Camaro-like. The Dark Horse edition does sound cool, though.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I think it looks great. I just wish instead of going with a more angular look, they had gone with a more organic look. I wish the designers had looked at the Fisker Karma and gone in that direction.

Fisker_Karma_2.jpg

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I think it looks great. I just wish instead of going with a more angular look, they had gone with a more organic look. I wish the designers had looked at the Fisker Karma and gone in that direction.

Fisker_Karma_2.jpg
Not to dispute what you're saying, but the Mustang designers to need to work within narrower parameters. The thing is supposed to look like a Mustang, after all, with a design that's informed by the original. We should be able to look at it and see that it's a Mustang and nothing else.

Could they have gone in this (Fisker Karma) direction and still retain the Mustang aesthetic? Probably. And to me, the 2024 model doesn't look as much like a Mustang from the front, which is what bothers me about it.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I think with simple front and rear end treatments, the Karma design could be made to look like a Mustang. The roofline is similar. Lose two doors, add some fake vents in the hood and fenders, and change the front and rear ends, and it could look like a Mustang. I'm not saying it has to look like the Karma. I just wish they had kept going in that direction instead of doing an about face.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Wow I got my 22 with the regular cluster gauges and I'm a millennial too.
Me too.

That is, the analog gauges in my 22. Iā€™m way far past being a millennial but in many ways I miss simpler times. Every time I slide in behind the wheel and see the gauges it makes me smile.

P.S. I should say I donā€™t miss simpler drivetrain technology. Gotta love the way these S550 GTs run and drive!
Sponsored