• Poll closed .

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
Most of the people out there that like the interior AND that ridiculous big screen with all that digital crap right in front of them, and planning on buying an s650 .... are simply settling, IMO. If Ford offered the current s650 interior style and also offered gauges and controls similar to the s550, with possibly some upgrades, as an alternative, 9 out of 10 would opt for the gauges and not that big, long egregious screen. I am 99% sure that that would be the case. Another words, people are thinking, 'it's ok, I will live with it'!
I somewhat agree with that statement. Until you start taking age into account. The teens and 20-somethings that are going to lusting after these (for the most part) love the new screen dashes. Both my boys have s550’s, 18 yr old and 21yr old, and they both would trade tomorrow for a 650 if they could afford it
Sponsored

Chooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Ford LTD
The interior is not befitting a Mustang. Exterior I love.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I guess my thinking is this, which would you rather have, a well designed car that takes visibility into consideration or one where they get around design flaws with cameras.
Why can’t you have a well designed car and some of that stuff like HUD and 360 camera? At least make it an option for people. I don’t consider it a need but it would be nice to at least have the option is all I’m saying. And the next generation of enthusiasts are used to and probably expect things like that or they’ll go elsewhere.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
What's the reasoning here? Based on what history and past practice?
I guess I don’t understand your question. The post I replied to made the argument that sports cars don’t need things like HUD. I just stated that the Corvette, which is a sports car, has it and they have had them for some time.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That to me is like saying NYC has a subway system so Austin, Tx and Orlando. FL should get one too. Not sure how many call the Corvette a daily driver or how many could afford it to be one.

You are entitled to want what you want as do I. I just feel that the dash is just a little below it and the same data is already being presented. This is the same reasoning why do we need digital displays vs analog real gauges. To each their own. We had digital in the 80's at the very least and yet analog still exists long after. Maybe all this 'tech' is just the current fad, who knows.

Next we will want to deploy a drone to fly up above to help us park or to scout driving conditions ahead...

To me, these are just toys. Backup cameras came about because SUVs being too tall and children being shorter could not be seen near them. Make the SUV a reasonable height and that problem goes away. Afterall, the SUV is just a jacked up station wagon. Not sure I heard of too many being run over by station wagons but seemed to be common enough to warrant adding a camera to an SUV.

I guess my thinking is this, which would you rather have, a well designed car that takes visibility into consideration or one where they get around design flaws with cameras. I really HATE the rear view camera that is integrated into the center mirror in the Camaro and that wouldn't even be needed if they designed the greenhouse right.

In the end, all of these additions just drives up costs and becomes points of failures from some future owner. I think it would suck if a future Mustang could not be enjoyed because some unneeded part failed. Sorry, we cannot back up because the 360 camera is broken even though you can turn your head and just back out more slowly. I am sorry but the software refuses to let you go in reverse until you fix the camera.

Also, if they took the time for making 'toys' and instead put that into designing a better, lighter, more reliable car, I would definitely take that over any number of toys any day.

Of course, if you are fortunate enough to change cars often, none of this could pertain to you. Me, I keep them until either I kill them or they kill me. In the case of my S550 GT PP2, my daughter says that she gets it and will fix it should it outlast me. Let's hope it was built well.

IMHO.
I do agree that the camera in the rear view mirror of the Camaro is really dumb.

Sponsored

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
FB_IMG_1663845872776.jpg

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Plenty of changed dash/cluster combo's out there for the S550 now, and most are pretty reasonably priced. Buying a new hood, fenders, bumper, all are very expensive. They are subject to crash requirements. Dash panels are not.

The bigger problem is the current design environment loves slapping ipads onto the dash with a bezel from the early 90's on everything. It's literally every manufacturer.
We're not talking about replacing a plastic trim piece on the dash, or the instrument cluster from regular gauges to the LCD screen. That's all relatively cheap and easy. Plug & play with OEM parts.

The entire dash/console/HVAC ducts, controls, etc. would have to be replaced to do anything about those ipads stuck to it. The products to do that simply don't exist, and won't exist. Didn't for the S550, haven't for any Mustang......or vehicle that I know of.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I somewhat agree with that statement. Until you start taking age into account. The teens and 20-somethings that are going to lusting after these (for the most part) love the new screen dashes. Both my boys have s550’s, 18 yr old and 21yr old, and they both would trade tomorrow for a 650 if they could afford it
Kids don't usually have the money to buy Mustangs.
Also, most teens aren't interested in cars anymore.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
While that’s true, I believe they’re throwing the iPad screens in there to try to generate interest from the younger generation so that when they can afford one they’ll buy one. At least where I live, I see plenty of teens at car shows so while I think interest is down from where it was 20-30 years ago, I wouldn’t say most aren’t interested. At least not where I live.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
in big cities maybe. but it's still the demographic that is buying them. especially the base models like the EcoB. that is still a very reasonably priced car that offers a lot of bang for the buck, good MPG and great looks.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
After reading people's reactions all over the internet, it seems that S550 owners are the most critical of the S650. I still say it comes down to not wanting to let go of the S550, but once the S650 hits the streets, S550 owners will be running to their dealer like a crackhead on payday. :cool:
No. Not this one. They lost me with the dash.

The Porsche 911 Carrera GT2 RS has the BEST gauge cluster of all time and no heads up display.

IMG_15958-large.jpg
Yes, and it's a prime example of a modern, cohesive, no-BS instrument panel design. It doesn't have a giant iPad protruding from the dash for no good reason.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
......it's a prime example of a modern, cohesive, no-BS instrument panel design. It doesn't have a giant iPad protruding from the dash for no good reason.
Even if you want to do LED/LCD dash, it can be integrated and keep true in style to the vehicle;

1663856793942.png

1663856846639.png

With the new Mustang, it most certainly did have to have the stuck-on i-pads......because the Mustang design team is completely tone-deaf, and has 0 clue what a Mustang is meant to be.

They have 0 ideas of their own, they just steal styling cues from other vehicles. Not a single original idea in the entire car.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
nah they're doing this cause its cheaper in the short term and long term. nothing to fail easy to update etc etc.

i love the way they did the digital dash in our gen, its the ipad thing i'm not into.
it just seems lazy and uninspired. porsche and toyota did it right.

thrillawill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I only love the Dark Horse. Which I will be getting as soon as its out. I wouldnt consider any other trim. The Dark Horse should be the only option for anyone. The GT/Eco look awful.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
The Dark Horse should be the only option for anyone. The GT/Eco look awful.
I like the looks of the GT front end better. So thanks, but no thanks to making decisions "for anyone."
Sponsored