Sponsored

What would it take to fabricate and install an air lift system like the ones that are on formula one cars for the purpose of changing tires etc..

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Why all the negativity guys? This is what us Mustang guys do. Think outside the box and do shit different from everyone else. Personally I think it would be ultra cool to bring a car to a show, hit a button and the whole thing goes up on jacks.

Go to 2:50

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Remember when there was a transition from hand cranks to integrated starters? Let this on-board jacks thing happen and perhaps it will become essential. Your new electric vehicle will likely have plenty of available energy.

EDIT two: Unless our governments figure out a way to repair the declining infrastructure, look forward to frequent pothole damage. If we still want to use our private vehicles the way we do now, count on plenty of opportunities to push-button your car into the air. Will everyone carry one or more spares? Will we develop solid tires and appropriate suspension systems? Keep watching...

Last edited:

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
For car enthusiasts it would be cool to have. For the average Joe or Jane not really as they take their car to a shop to get things done by someone else. If it’s a track car then absolutely.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
F1 cars don't have air lift systems, that would be too much weight. When they come into the pits, the cars are lifted with dolly like stands.

Sponsored

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Formula 1 cars use jacks, not a lift system. They also change wheels in under 2 seconds.
This season only Redbull is doing sub 2 second pit stops. Lol

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Formula 1 cars use jacks, not a lift system. They also change wheels in under 2 seconds.
F1 cars don't have air lift systems, that would be too much weight. When they come into the pits, the cars are lifted with dolly like stands.
Geez, you guys are tough. IndyCar and different sports car classes use air lift systems. There was also a rumor that NASCAR was going to use them back in 2018.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Jacking rails and a well placed speed jack will get you in the air in seconds.
Exactly, the idea of onboard air lifts is ridiculous, but hey it's a free country!

OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
1500 hp half shafts on 750 whp car is ridiculous but i got em... lol. In other words ridiculousness is in the eye of the beholder...

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Since we're on the subject of getting the car in the air quickly, I have a couple of personal designs saved on a laptop that I mocked up on NX Express.

One was a jacking device that would be about the same size as a butterfly brace for a Miata that slides under the car on wheels with an adjustable preset option for wheelbase and jacking points. It's a geared mechanism with essentially a bolt on each side for a socket. Imagine a 4 point scissor Jack if you will. Stick an impact on it and it literally is in the car in a couple of seconds.

The second thing I would like to have made is this claw for the lug nuts that is one piece. You can add or remove arms for different lug patterns and change socket size. Each arm tapers to one socket and can allow you up remove all 5 lug nuts while cranking one bolt. Upon retorquing the lugs, if one lug reaches the designated torque before the rest, it will disengage itself from further torquing and spin freely on a bearing while the rest finish.

Still working on the torque disengaging independently.

Ideally, if you had an impact gun, you could change all 4 wheels in about a minute with the combination.

But hey, I'm just a babbling engineer.

Sponsored

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Geez, you guys are tough. IndyCar and different sports car classes use air lift systems. There was also a rumor that NASCAR was going to use them back in 2018.
well don’t want people thinking F1 cars have air lift jacks when in fact they don’t. Just correcting the conception that they do. I mean the OP mentions F1 in the thread subject.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

So replace F1 car with GT4, GT3, GTE, LMP car. All of which typically feature air jacks. You know what he meant.

So talk to any of the Mustang GT4 teams. You typically don't see systems on club racing cars because club races are usually short enough that no pit stop is required.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There was also a rumor that NASCAR was going to use them back in 2018.
but come on, the reason I even watch NASCAR is to watch the jack man work his handle, the impact wrenches fly across the pit, the tire guys in their sexy knee pads slide into their positions and man handle hot, sticky, black rubbers.

The going round and round at essentially constant speeds is so boring I nod off. the turbine whine of the air guns is what rouses me from slumber.

Edit: I gotta say Austrailian Super8 racing is some seriously close-quarters sh*t! And it's cool to see Mustangs comprising half the field. I forget which IMSA class it is but there's only like 2 Mustangs (gray and pepto pink) that are any good and 1 Camaro in the entire 30 car field.

Last edited:

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS