Sponsored

What would cause the steering wheel to be slightly off center ?

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Long story short over the summer I had to veer off the road and into the mud. The car had to be winched out by its wheels (they tied a rope around each wheel and pulled me up.

I’ve noticed that the wheel doesn’t seem 100% straight. The dealer checked the alignment and found no issues. My tires are also not wearing strangely.

Do you think I’m being a hypochondriac or could these be something else wrong caused by roadside winching the car out ?
Sponsored

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
alignment can be ok with wheel centering 'off'.

you need your steering wheel centered, but that will require tweaking the alignment with the wheel centered. First thing he should have done.
your guy only did half the job.

however ... if its off only a small amount - then its pretty subjective person to person.

Factory has a jig that holds it centered setting the alignment. Big customer satisfaction issue.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If the steering wheel is to the left you need to adjust both tie rods to the left by the same amount. How much? Start with one flat (1/6 turn) and take it from there.

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Adjusting the tie rods by the same amount is something I've done twice now, and it seems to work. Once when I got the car (used, off the dealer lot) and once after an alignment when they didn't get it just perfect. I have a Guardian Designs wheel with a noon marker, so it's more noticable.

Small steps are better. Drive it a bit and see where it naturally centers, and make sure you're adjusting each side equally. It takes a bit of time, but I've got +5k miles after tweaking with no issues. If you're very close to neutral toe (I requested 0.05 out) it's not gonna make a big difference either way
Sponsored