Sponsored

What will the first S650 Special Edition be?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
We've recently had the GT350, Bullitt and Mach1. What do you suspect the first S650 special trim will be?

BOSS?
New GT350?
SVO?

Love to hear what people are expecting/hope for.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford still has not recreated the B429... maybe someday.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I'm hoping for a Boss or GT350. I doubt they'll resurrect SVO because that was/is a now defunct Ford performance division - BUT I would not rule out a spiritual successor to the old SVO Mustang w/ a HiPo turbo 4.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm hoping for a Boss or GT350. I doubt they'll resurrect SVO because that was/is a now defunct Ford performance division - BUT I would not rule out a spiritual successor to the old SVO Mustang w/ a HiPo turbo 4.
Agreed, SVO is no longer an option. Neither is the GT350 as the Voodoo is history. No other engine/motor options at this point. Unless maybe a hybrid. So that leaves the car that became the Mach 1, the Boss. I’d wager a couple of bucks on that.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Eleanor
The Boss will be later to replace the Shelby name plate as the top dog

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Eleanor
The Boss will be later to replace the Shelby name plate as the top dog
Boss. still hoping for a destroked 7.3 pushrod motor to about 7.0, Boss '9 would've loved to see that in the Mach this year, but I digress....the 2021 Mach is pretty evident it was a Boss that got rebadged after the whole Mach E pushback.

def want to do the Boss as a 2023, the year the Camaro gets killed again.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Boss. still hoping for a destroked 7.3 pushrod motor to about 7.0, Boss '9 would've loved to see that in the Mach this year, but I digress....the 2021 Mach is pretty evident it was a Boss that got rebadged after the whole Mach E pushback.

With luck we'll get the 6.8 at least. Maybe its a 6.9 so we can get a Boss 420 6.9L :cool:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I say nothing special for the first year...then the California Special and Pony Package for the turbo.

CVCashmere

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Unless it can out run a vette c8, it won't be a boss other than in name plate.
If ford was smart. they design a destroked v8 say 3.8 ltr's that can rpm to 10k. with a fast shifting manual.
A large c.i.d. mustang would be cool and all, but When a 3.7 v6 with hairdriers can make more power and useable torque than the huge c.i.d. v8 can, and the limited sales of such an engine , they not drop an all alum one in a motorhome and ford doesn't have anyother vehicles to slide such a thing into now.
A small ltr v8 that they can hang turbos off of, and drop into trucks makes more long term R&D and production sense.
If ford already had the 6.8ltr in vehicles and it was just a matter of casting an alum block and dropping it in, maybe.
Or have an outside business make those swaps (roush, cough ,cough)

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If ford was smart. they design a destroked v8 say 3.8 ltr's that can rpm to 10k. with a fast shifting manual.
And sell what, two of them. This is not what Mustang owners want. They always want bigger if for no other reason as to say its bigger. If we do go smaller is will be a twin turbo V6/hybrid. That’s the way the market is going.

Also Ford will never have a higher revving engine than the Voodoo. A 7400 rpm rev line is more than enough for a street car, even a Boss.

The transmission is actually the easy part. They will hopefully just do the same as the Mach 1, 10R80 & Tremec 3160.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
And sell what, two of them. This is not what Mustang owners want. They always want bigger if for no other reason as to say its bigger. If we do go smaller is will be a twin turbo V6/hybrid. That’s the way the market is going.

Also Ford will never have a higher revving engine than the Voodoo. A 7400 rpm rev line is more than enough for a street car, even a Boss.

The transmission is actually the easy part. They will hopefully just do the same as the Mach 1, 10R80 & Tremec 3160.
shoot, imo 7400 is too high for a street engine Street engines are all about torque and light to light. bit different for a weekend cruiser you take out to carve canyons with, where you can settle in at higher RPMs. Or for the track of course. Shoot, my 351W I have right now, while the PO built it for high RPM (and it really wakes up over 4750 or so) I rarely ever get over 3200 RPMs

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

THis isn't the 60's early 70.
Today a 4.8 or 5.3 junkyard take out with a hair drier on a video making a large c.i.d. powered mustang look silly would kill it instantly, or a 6 with turbo .
back when c.i.d was the way to more power and just about the only way and keep the price within reach of mear mortals, sure.
Times changed, Mustang owners might get gitty about the idea untill it gets spanked by small ltr powered vehicles that have a hair drier.
They have to have the nanny (torque management) set on kill just to keep everything behind the engine from breaking it be pointless. They are not going to design a transmission that can take the power and live, nor a diff, etc. they will program the torquemanagement to pull power at every shift and at launch, making it MEH. I have this awesome sounding car but the ecu won't give me the power when I want it, for fear of scattering parts everywhere.
Maybe guys that like thumper cams (TM) would find that cool.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Unless it can out run a vette c8, it won't be a boss other than in name plate.
A large c.i.d. mustang would be cool and all, but When a 3.7 v6 with hairdriers can make more power and useable torque than the huge c.i.d. v8 can, and the limited sales of such an engine , they not drop an all alum one in a motorhome and ford doesn't have anyother vehicles to slide such a thing into now.
A small ltr v8 that they can hang turbos off of, and drop into trucks makes more long term R&D and production sense.
If ford already had the 6.8ltr in vehicles and it was just a matter of casting an alum block and dropping it in, maybe.
Or have an outside business make those swaps (roush, cough ,cough)
When was the BOSS ever a vette fighter?