• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What will it take to save the V8 Mustang?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
and where on the spectrum of factors leading to "I want" is the Mustang brand/name tacked onto the front? Let me guess, ZERO. If Ford had launched it as the Taurus-E, or Tourus-Rex, or Taurus Jolt, or Taurus Scalded Cat, Taurus Charge I'm thinking she'd want it just as eagerly.

I have zero beef with the vehicle itself at least in the abstract. The problem with Marketing is that they believe their own bullsh*t and think the rest of the world does too. Nyet! Marketing is right there with lawyers as to where they belong - at the bottom of the ocean.
She actually likes the fact that we would each have a Mustang, but you’re right, she doesn’t really care about the name.
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I almost immediately lost interest in the V8.

In fact, it has destroyed my desire to ever own a GT350 or 500.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I almost immediately lost interest in the V8.

In fact, it has destroyed my desire to ever own a GT350 or 500.
Just like there is no good food in Squirell Hill, you're not supposed to drink Monongahela Swill.
It shrivels the testes and rots the brain.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Does anybody know how much radiation these battery packs emit? Considering how small they are I don't think it's too much of a concern but just thought I'd ask.

Anyways, yeah, one can enjoy the music even when it's stationary.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Doesn’t matter. It not whether its better. It’s all about burning fossil fuels. I’ve driven a handful of EV’s. As short/mid range transportation devices they do an admirable job. A couple were even fun. But at the end of the day I never got that visceral experience a get every time I start my GT/CS.
I do get what you are saying and if I am honest, I get that same thrill whenever I push the Start button. That doesn't mean I also don't appreciate a car like my V90 that is quiet and smooth too. I've never owned and EV, but I can see myself really liking one for daily driving along with the GT/CS for play.

Last edited:

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
Well, I think the power train change over that's coming is inevitable. How manufacturers make it palatable to current ICE Mustang lovers should prove interesting. The bottom line for Ford and other manufacturers is total fleet emissions. I thought it was explained very well in an article I recently read, that said Ford will keep producing ICE powered Mustangs as long as there are enough EV's being sold to continue to balance the fleet emission requirements.

Once it doesn't, it won't. It reminds me of when I purchased my 1985 Mustang GT and it took almost 6 months to receive it once ordered. At the time Ford was holding back on any vehicle with a V8, and measuring their fleet fuel economy...not making enough 4 cylinders to balance out the V8's, before they would build my car.

So, I hate to say it, but if your super concerned about this, you may want to purchase a Lighting pickup or dare I say it...a Mach-e. If that's too much of thought to bare, then order an unobtanium Maverick. There, I said it. If not, we'll all just have to wait and see how the sales balance of ICE to EV's plays out over time, along with ever tightening corporate fleet emissions.

Lastly, before anyone solely blames the government for this, and believe me, there's enough to blame them for, recall when the prior administration curtailed emissions requirements, and the manufacturers kept to them? I don't know if it's them being the "good corporate neighbor" thing, or just anticipating that eventually, it'll be a reality regardless, so why delay the process?

As I said in a prior post, get 'm while they're hot!

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
Don’t believe everything you read/hear. It’s all marketing speak. Ford only has two names worth anything. F150 & Mustang. Well the “F” is only for trucks so what else did they have for EV’s? Well, Mustang. They decided take a model and make it a brand. Much like Ram. So now we have two Ford divisions each with its own Mustang. The naming worked as the Mach-E is a huge success. It got peop,e into the showrooms as it was designed to do. But, that said, everyone knows the Mach-E never was, nor will be a Mustang.
If Ford produces something I like and that I think is quite a bit better than my current Mustang, I might buy (depending on price).

I want the Mustang to be good/competitive. Not just a Mustang in name. Ford needs to work hard to earn our dollars, not take for granted that they are going to get sales while coasting down into EV dystopia.

I like Ford and I'd actually even prefer to buy a Ford over any other brand (even after the Mach E debacle I have to admit I still feel that way). But I have to be realistic about what my loyalty gets me - bupkis.

I kind of feel like we are repeating the 1970s right now. I'm not going to be the guy that sells my Hemi Challenger and buys a new Mustang II.
[/QUO
Those of us who tend to frequent sites like this have a very unique perspective on this. But if you step back and look at this through a wide angle lens, it is actually quite genius. Ford is positioning itself to leverage the iconic Mustang brand to capture where most see the market heading. I can't argue with their logic.

But this approach has always been the case. When Mustangs were first introduced, they were marketed as sporty car for an up and coming younger generation, not as a pure performance platform. The best estimate is that of the 607,568 Mustangs produced in 1966 (the peak Mustang production year) only about 2,500 were equipped with the vaunted K code high performance V8, the vast majority were 200cid straight 6 or the anemic 2bbl 289cid V8. These cars were not screaming high performance muscle cars.

Even though people like you an me are not ever likely to buy an EV Mustang, we just aren't the market Ford is after, nor are we the market Ford needs to succeed.
I agree.
Electric Cars are not my style..
The High Performance 289 Mustang you were talking about only came with a 90 day warranty.
Most, , some were afraid not to buy them Because of the warranty.
The same with 427,s.
Now days the warranty is good for the 500 🐎 horses.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
No, Electric is not a fad. It works well for a large portion of the planet and is much more efficient even when you consider all of the losses of generating/transporting the energy to the charger. If we as performance enthusiasts want input into the next generation of transport, we need to accept that gas isn't going to be where it's at in the future, but that instead electricity is.

Batteries are getting better all the time, with tons of money going into R&D on them. This has always been the weak point for electric vehicles and they are working hard to address it. Solid state batteries, batteries with different chemical compositions to make it more effective and cheaper, etc. They are all coming. Within the next 10 years, we will have the ability to make a 1000 mile range vehicle that can recharge 60 percent of that within 20 minutes. 600 miles in 20 minutes or 300 miles in 10 minutes? Yes thank you!
Maybe so.
The Auto Nation Ford near me has the EV F150’s for as little as $98,030.
Yes it’s a Platinum.
I think I’ll keep my 2020 F150 Limited with the 450 horse 3.5 Ecoboost until the Wheels fall off!
I can go 1000 miles & don’t have to stop 🛑 & wait in line to get a Charge.
The Charge I get is driving it.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Maybe so.
The Auto Nation Ford near me has the EV F150’s for as little as $98,030.
Yes it’s a Platinum.
I think I’ll keep my 2020 F150 Limited with the 450 horse 3.5 Ecoboost until the Wheels fall off!
I can go 1000 miles & don’t have to stop 🛑 & wait in line to get a Charge.
The Charge I get is driving it.
I generate my electricity on-demand and don’t rely on-reserve. Each kaboom of the internal combustion cause a reaction that results in a spark (electricity), the electricity is used to power the electrical devices in the car. I can pump all the gas I want though it and won’t run without a spark. Hmm. Maybe get it reclassified as a multi function electric production device with operators convience package - seats, climate control, and the ability to move about while generating the e-juice, stationary is no longer required - fancy improvement that is in the here and now and not some future we think we can do this that and the other but we ain’t there yet so we gonna make everyone start all over. Break out the steam machine.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
407cid...I currently dont have a Mustang but drive a Challenger WB 6-spd but I love V8 powered cars ! As Camaro,Challenger,Charger and Corvette have vacated the premises as far as 90 degree crankshaft real V8's emitting that beautiful sound of music with a manual goes to Team Mustang as the lone survivor...As far as 2024 Mustang is the only option for a new car with a V8 and a manual ! I hope come Nov the horror show of EPA government mandated EV-BS will finally be over ! As any human with half a brain knows that C02 has nothing to do with climate change this planet has seen for millions of years ! EVs are not the answer for obvious reasons and this must even become clear for the gullipble and naive minds who believe in the C02 nonsense as EVs emit more C02 in use and production than gas or diesel powered vehicles ! Not even to mention harvesting the raw materials for the toxic batteries that might last 10 years max and then render these vehicles useless junk like any cell phone after so many years of use.
As for the Mustang itself especially where Ford wonts to compete with Porsche with the 911 wanting to sell the Mustang to club or factory racers they should have developed a all new lighter chassis and gave the Coyote more bore to give it much needed low and mid range Torque to make it more fun to drive.Real buttons instead of greasy paw prints on screens would be highly appreciated too.Some kind of electric flywheel with a small battery to help with braking and accelerating could be part of the package too_Otherwise the only electric motor under the hood of a Mustang should be the starter to fire up the V8 !

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
407cid...I currently dont have a Mustang but drive a Challenger WB 6-spd but I love V8 powered cars ! As Camaro,Challenger,Charger and Corvette have vacated the premises as far as 90 degree crankshaft real V8's emitting that beautiful sound of music with a manual goes to Team Mustang as the lone survivor...As far as 2024 Mustang is the only option for a new car with a V8 and a manual ! I hope come Nov the horror show of EPA government mandated EV-BS will finally be over ! As any human with half a brain knows that C02 has nothing to do with climate change this planet has seen for millions of years ! EVs are not the answer for obvious reasons and this must even become clear for the gullipble and naive minds who believe in the C02 nonsense as EVs emit more C02 in use and production than gas or diesel powered vehicles ! Not even to mention harvesting the raw materials for the toxic batteries that might last 10 years max and then render these vehicles useless junk like any cell phone after so many years of use.
As for the Mustang itself especially where Ford wonts to compete with Porsche with the 911 wanting to sell the Mustang to club or factory racers they should have developed a all new lighter chassis and gave the Coyote more bore to give it much needed low and mid range Torque to make it more fun to drive.Real buttons instead of greasy paw prints on screens would be highly appreciated too.Some kind of electric flywheel with a small battery to help with braking and accelerating could be part of the package too_Otherwise the only electric motor under the hood of a Mustang should be the starter to fire up the V8 !
Trolling on a 2 year old thread now

Fortunately the humans with a complete brain do understand climate change

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please explain to me why this planet saw climate change as times of heat or cold long before people drove evil ICE cars ? And why should we drive expensive and boring government mandated electric vehicles and spend most of our lives charging these low range vehicles when on top of it they emit more C02 than ICE vehicles ? I think we should emit more C02 so that plants can grow and produce food and trees can turn C02 into much needed oxygen the additional 80 million or so new people that add to the worlds population every year...Electric has no future especially here in California where we have no clean energy and not even enough energy where we see brown out in summer when people run their A/C or their washing machines not to mention we dont even have enough raw earth metals to make all the batteries...The so called electric future is over before it started and that is a good thing !

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Please explain to me why this planet saw climate change as times of heat or cold long before people drove evil ICE cars ? And why should we drive expensive and boring government mandated electric vehicles and spend most of our lives charging these low range vehicles when on top of it they emit more C02 than ICE vehicles ? I think we should emit more C02 so that plants can grow and produce food and trees can turn C02 into much needed oxygen the additional 80 million or so new people that add to the worlds population every year...Electric has no future especially here in California where we have no clean energy and not even enough energy where we see brown out in summer when people run their A/C or their washing machines not to mention we dont even have enough raw earth metals to make all the batteries...The so called electric future is over before it started and that is a good thing !
If you think I am going to waste time on a troll think again

Even the most basic research will show you how wrong you are and how anthropogenic global warming is not just a real thing but with serious consequences. When NASA emphasise this you should listen or do you know better ehh? :crazy:

There is NO shortage of Oxygen :crackup:

Last edited:

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And C02 is 0.0004% of the air we breathe and the sun/ultraviolet warms up the earth no matter how much C02 is in the air/spectrum.And greenhouse gas is also a lie as we dont live in a greenhouse because the atmosphere is open....All lies so a few people can make lots of money on C02 tax and carbon credits like we dont pay enough taxes already...As EV's even emit more C02 !
Sponsored