Sponsored

What was the mileage/kilometers when you had to replace your clutch?

r-model

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 1987 GT, not stock :-) DD - 2001 F150
This will vary for all of us, my car has just turned 230,000 kilometers (I'm from Ontario Canada) and is still on the original clutch :-)
Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This will vary for all of us, my car has just turned 230,000 kilometers (I'm from Ontario Canada) and is still on the original clutch :-)
Fellow Ontarian:thumbsup:
Also, you definitely do not abuse you car 😄

Most folks will be replacing it wayyy before 230k km (143k miles) especially due to the type of car the Mustang is. It depends on the driver, really, for the most part.

However, my previous car, a 2005 Altima SE-R V6 6spd, it lasted until 356k km on the original clutch (I did not abuse it, never rode the clutch necessarily, etc.) Even then, the clutch still had meat on it - it was the TOB/Release bearing that seized.

In your case, if you remain "kind" to the car, you may actually need to dig into the transmission for the TOB or even the pressure plate, due to a harder pedal as a result of worn diaphragm springs, and the clutch plate itself might actually still have friction material left on it. It all depends on how one drives. Of course, if that happens, at that point, you'd replace the clutch anyway, since you're in there.

I've seen clutches last anywhere from 25-30k km on the low end, to the lifetime of the vehicle. (assuming the clutch has no factory defects, etc.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
r-model

r-model

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 1987 GT, not stock :-) DD - 2001 F150
I have already replaced the slave cylinder, waiting 2 1/2 months for one. I abuse the car every chance I get on the road course, Cayuga, Mosport, haven't been to Shannonville yet

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I see - so, you're lucky, I guess? lol!

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Just under 70k on my 16 GT with the original clutch. 2 cars ago my 03 Nissan 350z had 186k miles on what I'm assuming is the original clutch. I bought the car with 23k on it so I'd be surprised if the clutch was replaced before I owned it.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
In for responses as I'm curious too. Almost 40k and no issues, but that's nothing. My Honda Accord went 243k miles on it's first clutch. I'm at 340k now, so debating on whether to spend the money on another clutch when it goes.

If I had a lift I'd try a DIY on the Mustang clutch. The idea of crawling around on the floor trying to do that is not appealing to me. I changed out a couple of C4 autos by myself but nothing like this... and I was way younger then too.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you don't abuse the clutch at all, and it's not defective, it should last the life of the vehicle. Having said that, on this car, the fact it doesn't have a bleed valve for the slave cylinder, no way it'd last the life of the vehicle, so at some point, it'd have to get replaced IMO, meaning tranny would have to be removed. Dependin when that happens, might as well replace the clutch, since it'd be quite cheap at that point. It'd be nice to replace slave with one with a bleed valve, and add a remote bleed line.

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
45k I think it was on my Roush Stage1

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
My Miata that I LEARNED how to drive stick on, hooned every single day, and autocrossed many times went 212,000 miles and even then it was replaced because the pilot bearing was going bad rather than wear to the clutch itself. So if spec'd properly, clutches can go a long damn time.

Most of us mod our Mustangs, add power, add stickier tires, etc...so I wouldn't expect these clutches to last as along as they would in a typical stick shift car but 300km wouldn't be hard to believe.

If yours isn't slipping, keep driving it! You obviously know how to properly drive a manual transmission so I suspect you'll be aware enough to feel the failure coming long before it strands you somewhere.
Sponsored