Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Only Esso Super Plus for me, as I get it at US prices :D
I have the Cobb 93 AKI tune (98 Ron) and it is always showing an Octane adjust ratio of -1 or maxed out, which means the fuel is at least 94 AKI (99-100Ron) or better.
Even though it CAN run on the cheaper stuff, I would never dare put anything less than 98 in a turbo car, and the loss of fuel economy is significant enough to be a factor. Also I believe the quality controls on the premium fuels is better. I have never gotten a bad tank of Gas with premium, only with the cheaper fuel.
Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
In NL it's customary to get a full tank of fuel. They won't tell you what kind though :/

The problem I have been running into is that premium fuel isn't that common at the cheaper places it seems. And even if they have it, they label it with hazy names, not telling you what the actual octane number is. So I have filled it up with just EUR95 so far. (at least that's clearly labelled what it is) :shrug:
This ^^.
We have 'super' that is regular unleaded fuel, and then very different name like shell v-power, Plus, Extra ecc without knowing octane numbers.

USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON)

87 = 91
89 = 93
91 = 95
93 = 98

So our (UK) Regular Unleaded is 95 and Super is 97, therefore regular sits pretty much near the top end of the premium side of USA fuel. It'll be fine on regular.

Not wanting to get into the whole supermarket fuel debate, supermarket fuel wont be going anywhere near my Mustang. Granted I drive a diesel currently but the difference between something like Shell Diesel & ASDA Diesel is easily distinguishable. On ASDA is sounds like someone has thrown a bag of spanners into my engine (which normally sounds quite civilized for an oil burner) and i easily lose 4mpg (tested). All comes down to the additives & biofuel they throw in. I did read somewhere that supermarket diesel can contain up to 10% biodiesel when most manufacturers don't recommend you go over 7%.
With my previous diesel car I monitored consumption for about three years, registering gas station name too. I haven't found differences at all, the kml was always constant, unless when temperature changed - in winter average was 13 km\l and in summer 14 km\l - but other than this in my opinion it's all the same fuel :)

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
BP Ultimate 98 only for me. It's a bit of a detour to get it but in my current car (tuned 2.0 Turbo) it makes a noticable difference in how the engine picks up.

OP
OP
R3v

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
The problem here is that almost all of our Premium fuels are 100 Octane and therfore more expensive. Shell V Power Racing is 100, OMV MaxxMotion is 100. Then there are some tier 2 gas stations as Agip or Lukoil with 98, but I'm not sure I want to refill there.

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
Even though it CAN run on the cheaper stuff, I would never dare put anything less than 98 in a turbo car, and the loss of fuel economy is significant enough to be a factor. Also I believe the quality controls on the premium fuels is better. I have never gotten a bad tank of Gas with premium, only with the cheaper fuel.
Technically speaking, all down-sized-engine-compact-cars out here in Europe are 'turbo cars', these days. They seem to run fine on regular fuel ;)

Sponsored

Nordic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joakim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have two choices up here... 95 and diesel so I hope the ecoboost is happy with the former :D
WTF, with all that oil you pumping up you should have race gas in the pumps for one euro per gallon...

The 98 and 99 Vpower in sweden is pretty good, , the 95 contains ethanol and the 96 is a mix of 95 and 98. I know a guy at Statoils oil depot who told me that the 98 actually measures 98,5-99 and contains no ethanol, a really good fuel for a turbo car.

The fuel in the eastern europe have I heard so many storys of, are they true or do you have good fuel in Romania for example and are the quality the same over the year?

OP
OP
R3v

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
The fuel in the eastern europe have I heard so many storys of, are they true or do you have good fuel in Romania for example and are the quality the same over the year?
I only use either OMV, Shell or Slovnaft. Slovnaft is a big refinery here and they supply also many stations in Austria, Czech or Hungary. Even some types of fuel for OMV and Shell are from Slovnaft, however they are made using special additives. OMV MaxxMotion here is delivered from Austria, there is a big OMV refinery nearby Vienna.

Plus there is Agip with 98 Octane, but they were recently acquired by MOL, so I don't wanna risk it.

Dragonheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium 2015
Is there any sense in using higher octane fuel when my OAR is already at -1.00 or am I already getting maximum performance possible?

I have ecoboost 2015 - full stock. I've been using 100 RON octane (best I can get here) for a pretty long time having constant -1.00 OAR. Recently I decided to try 98 RON (93 AKI). I've been using it for a couple of months, burned about 8-10 full tanks and OAR is still at -1.00. Does it mean that for engine 100 RON brings zero benefits in terms of performance and I may easily save a bit of money?
I was able to get 5.9 seconds 0-100kmh with both 98 and 100 RON using integrated track apps to measure the time, but it heavily depends on the weather, condition of road, quality of launch, etc. so I can't say for sure there's no difference in performance at all. Same goes for consumption - I can't really compare it because it depends on the weather, amount of driving outside of city, etc. which is never equal per one full tank of fuel. Usually I never get mileage better than 15-16 l/100km (15.5-14.5 mpg).

I'm asking because manual and some articles in web say that 93 AKI (98 RON) is the fuel to go, worse octanes give you worse performance. But I found no sources regarding if higher octane than 93 AKI makes any sense.
Sponsored