FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If I was buying a used car I’d try to get a certified pre owned, I see some dealerships giving lifetime warranties or used to on power train. (I never owned one) just what they tried to tell me was with it.

That seems like a good thing to pursue if the warranties are legitly real

I put a new clutch spring by steeda in my car. I hated the mustang clutch til I did this. It was pillow soft, I wanted to feel the engagement not guess it. The steeda clutch spring was perfect to me
Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Don't over think it. I drove a '16 Ecoboost, nothing but fun. I kept it stock. My ex loved driving it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
a couple hours spent in that HS parking lot start/stopping every 100 feet and she'll wax your ass soon enough. :)

when students couldn't get the hang of the clutch use (ie, just "letting go" after friction zone) I used to do drills where I physically pulled back on the bike and they had to maintain position using JUST clutch and no gas. You can get a GT rolling from idle too just with proper clutch use.

Last edited:

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I would buy that '18 you posted the picture of for no other reason than it's the one year colour Royal Crimson...but I may be biased. Seriously, definitely buy a stock vehicle and certified pre-owned program car if you can. Ecoboom is definitely overblown by the small sample the forums present. There are literally thousands of Ecoboosts running around which have zero problems, and bear in mind that the Mustang is not the only vehicle the engine is found in.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
No one has really answered your question yet.
There are two things you need to be aware of with the EB engine.
First it's a direct injection motor so it's prone to carbon build up on the back of the intake valves. A catch cab installed early may help with this but I don't think anything can stop it.
Second is the headgasket. It can be prone to failure by leaking coolant into one or more cylinders. This can fail for no particular reason and can be very difficult to diagnose. Random CEL codes of P0303 or P0304 or a sweet smell in the exhaust on cold starts are usually the first signs.
I will second the recommendation of buying CPO if possible.

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hi guys,

Just got a '22 Mustang for me and the wife as a "fun car." Well, guess what. Wife feels uncomfortable driving it, because she's afraid of the power. She also wants to get used to driving a stick until it's pure muscle memory (for me it is, it's like riding a bike, but she's never owned a stick, only driven others').

Anyway, looking at a few used S550 EcoBoosts w/ the 6-speed (exact same transmission, so a perfect way to prepare for driving the GT). What do I look for on these? I'm generally looking at 2016-2018 models with 50-80,000 miles on them. I know how to evaluate a car and I do have standards for all cars, but I'm not familiar enough w/ the S550 or the EcoBoost to know particular troubles the used ones may present with.

Thanks for any advice/heads-ups.

PFA, but this is one of the cars we're looking at... a 2018 w/ 52k miles and looks bone stock in the pics (do not want a car someone else modded, nor a de-modded car, so will be looking for the telltale signs of that already):
1644417447814.png
The GT is a whole other animal compared to a GT. Ecoboosts are fun cars and great on gas and can be modified to make some decent power. However when you see a used ecoboost mustang they are typically are rentals and are ragged on. Buying a car from a private owner with receipts is the best used car to buy. If your wife is looking at a GT just get the GT they aren't terribly fast stock so nothing to worry about. She can get a good feel for the car just on the test drive.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Also. Be mindful a lot of Ecoboost were rentals that get beat on. I would definitely lookup previous ownerships.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also. Be mindful a lot of Ecoboost were rentals that get beat on. I would definitely lookup previous ownerships.
do you have ANY actual numbers to back that up? Of 50-100,000 annual units produced, how many are EB vs GT and what proportion of EB went to rental fleets? Even IF it was as low as 50% are EB and something as preposterous as 10% went direct to rental, that's still small number. The likelihood of getting an ex-rental is VERY low. And getting a 'thrashed' one vanishingly smaller still.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/official-s550-production-numbers.74791/

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The GT is a whole other animal compared to a GT. Ecoboosts are fun cars and great on gas and can be modified to make some decent power. However when you see a used ecoboost mustang they are typically are rentals and are ragged on. Buying a car from a private owner with receipts is the best used car to buy. If your wife is looking at a GT just get the GT they aren't terribly fast stock so nothing to worry about. She can get a good feel for the car just on the test drive.
We already have a GT. I am not sure if you read my OP :)

We are only looking at 6-speed manuals. Rental cars in the USA aren't manuals. Ever.

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Anyone w/ ability to run a carfax? I'm waiting on the dealer to send me one, but they're slow.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
do you have ANY actual numbers to back that up? Of 50-100,000 annual units produced, how many are EB vs GT and what proportion of EB went to rental fleets? Even IF it was as low as 50% are EB and something as preposterous as 10% went direct to rental, that's still small number. The likelihood of getting an ex-rental is VERY low. And getting a 'thrashed' one vanishingly smaller still.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/official-s550-production-numbers.74791/
Umm.. I didn't say all. I didn't say majority I just said a lot of ecoboost mustangs were bought by rental companies. I didn't say he would be almost certainly going to be buying one if he bought used either. I really feel your comment was misdirected and a jumping the gun. Funny you decide to reply attack me and not Andrew who posted basically the same thing seconds before me.

And while I can't give actually numbers nationally i have seen them all on every rental companies in my area.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We already have a GT. I am not sure if you read my OP :)

We are only looking at 6-speed manuals. Rental cars in the USA aren't manuals. Ever.
Yes true. Forgot that point. In Europe its different. Wish we could get manual rentals here in the US.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you decide to reply attack me and not Andrew who posted basically the same thing seconds before me.
it wasn't personal. Your 1-liner was just easier to pick apart. :)
You said 'lot' so that's what made it an easy target. Carry on!
Sponsored