Sponsored

What to do with display controls when switching to removable racing steering wheel?

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
My 2019 Mustang GT Premium is becoming more of a dedicated track car. When yesterday to the shop that is installing my OMP racing seats and CMS roll at and 6 point harness. Got fitted in the seat. All looks great. I originally opted for a seat slider however I’m a tall guy and the lack of head room is concerning. We may need to bolt the seat directly to the floor and do without the slider. That being said, with the seat in a fixed position, it‘s a squeeze getting in and out of the car. A removable racing steering wheel should be very nice. However, the stock wheel has all the controls for the digital dash, changing views of gauges, tire pressure monitoring, etc. would need to do something to replace or relocate those as I’m not aware of any other way to control the digital dash, other than the controls on the steering wheel. Anyone know of a solution or suggestion?
Thank you.
Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Would it be possible to modify the OE steering column to increase the upward range of motion? Or create a spiral wiring harness and pods for the controls that mount to an aftermarket wheel?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to find you a picture but several people have placed the steering wheel controls within the plastic trim on either side of the steering column.

EDIT: Found it
1674752077650.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm trying to find you a picture but several people have placed the steering wheel controls within the plastic trim on either side of the steering column.

1674752077650.png
That’s helpful. Appreciate the reply. I’ll take a look at that.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

1674752077650.png
Thank you Eric, I was planning on doing the same. I believe Matt Paige went this route and I have all the pix documented somewhere. I can repost if anyone likes.

much like OP I was considering the same. Not because height but sliders lose structural rigidity. I went with a Sparco hub and wheel once and the geometry just didn’t work. I’m willing to try it again with a formula that works a little better

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Eric, I was planning on doing the same. I believe Matt Paige went this route and I have all the pix documented somewhere. I can repost if anyone likes.

much like OP I was considering the same. Not because height but sliders lose structural rigidity. I went with a Sparco hub and wheel once and the geometry just didn’t work. I’m willing to try it again with a formula that works a little better
That picture is from Matt Paige 😄

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder how this plays with knee and leg room. Big reason for the removable racing wheel is to better facilitate getting into and out of the car, especially when equipped with high bolster racing seats which are many times bolted into place at the drivers preferred driving position which makes entry very tight. Looks like this bracket protrudes down and also sits behind the wheel where your knees might come in contact. I guess the only way to know is to try it. Anyone installed one of these with a racing wheel? Regardless, this is a very good find! haven’t seen anything else like it. Thank you for sharing!

Sponsored

TW Merema

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Looks like you could theoretically flip It over so the buttons are above the column.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It needs to be attached to the wheel so it’s removed along with the wheel. This will require a stretchable wiring harness much like what was commonly used on telephone handsets (back before wireless).

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Great find! this makes the transition easier when that time comes.

Maybe @ajhartman will be willing to add something similar to his list of future plans :)
Sponsored