Sponsored

What steering wheels do you guys have in your GTs?

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
I just placed my order with Carbontastic myself. I searched and searched....pricing out the steering wheel, center trim and airbag covered in alcantara. I hoping to receive a carbon fiber that exceeds my expectations. All of their pictures look fantastic, your steering wheel looks awesome. What was your lead time, 6 weeks or so? Any information you can share would greatly be appreciated.
Ok, so Im looking back at my Emails...

I placed the order on 6/6/2020. There was a little bit of a back and forth because I wanted a custom color. My calipers and some other things on the car are Need for Green: they didnt specifically have that thread, so they sent me some sample images and we settled on Porshe Lizard Green for the stiching and center stripe.

Also, the site was limited back then and they had things that werent on the site that I was offered via email and definitely wanted, like the trim pieces in carbon fiber. I actually ordered the airbag cover from Carbonsteer because they offered it with gloss black pony and trim, which Carbontastic didnt have at the time.

All that back and forth probably delayed production a bit.

Sent me an image on July 1st of the progress.

Sent me a shipping notification on 7/25/2020
I think it took like 5 days from California to me in NY.

Keep in mind this was at the HEIGHT of the pandemic.... so 7 weeks from order to shipping for me; id be surprised if it didnt come sooner for you.

2+ Years later, its holding up really well. Stitching is all still tight, I do my best to keep it clean but that Alcantara sucks up dirt and oil off your hands. Pick yourself up some Sonax and a soft bristle brush or two...
https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-Uphols...eywords=sonax+alcantara&qid=1663805685&sr=8-5
Sponsored

GB17shelbyGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
Ok, so Im looking back at my Emails...

I placed the order on 6/6/2020. There was a little bit of a back and forth because I wanted a custom color. My calipers and some other things on the car are Need for Green: they didnt specifically have that thread, so they sent me some sample images and we settled on Porshe Lizard Green for the stiching and center stripe.

Also, the site was limited back then and they had things that werent on the site that I was offered via email and definitely wanted, like the trim pieces in carbon fiber. I actually ordered the airbag cover from Carbonsteer because they offered it with gloss black pony and trim, which Carbontastic didnt have at the time.

All that back and forth probably delayed production a bit.

Sent me an image on July 1st of the progress.

Sent me a shipping notification on 7/25/2020
I think it took like 5 days from California to me in NY.

Keep in mind this was at the HEIGHT of the pandemic.... so 7 weeks from order to shipping for me; id be surprised if it didnt come sooner for you.

2+ Years later, its holding up really well. Stitching is all still tight, I do my best to keep it clean but that Alcantara sucks up dirt and oil off your hands. Pick yourself up some Sonax and a soft bristle brush or two...
https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-Uphols...eywords=sonax+alcantara&qid=1663805685&sr=8-5
Great information!!! Thanks man. I'm swapping from my OEM GT350R wheel to a Carbon Fiber one.
IMG_20220223_105701_02.jpg

I'll attach a few picture of what I ordered.

2nd picture is from Carbontastic website, It has red center inserts, which I did not order.

3rd picture is a Dynaperformance carbon fiber wheel but it is the same combo I ordered.

I did order a Red alcantara top stripe instead of red painted stripe so we will see how that turns out.
Screenshot_20220920-151431.png

Screenshot_20220919-214230.png

Yes, hopefully ordering the steering wheel, trim pieces and airbag cover with one company leaves very little room for fitment error. I almost purchased all 3 at separate companies to cut costs but hoping I made the right decision? 🤷🏽‍♂️

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
Great information!!! Thanks man. I'm swapping from my OEM GT350R wheel to a Carbon Fiber one.

I did order a Red alcantara top stripe instead of red painted stripe so we will see how that turns out.

Yes, hopefully ordering the steering wheel, trim pieces and airbag cover with one company leaves very little room for fitment error. I almost purchased all 3 at separate companies to cut costs but hoping I made the right decision? 🤷🏽‍♂️
Ah, so you have experience with Alcantara already...
Kinda curious to see how they're doing an Alcantara center stripe if the top of the wheel is carbon fiber....

You cant go wrong ordering from the same place; but to be fair, my aribag cover from Carbonsteer matches the rest of the wheel just fine. The stiching is actually a different color, but they sent me samples as well, and they worked with me to get it as close as possible... if you look at it closely they look identical. So it worked out well for me...

Carbontastic's communication was fantastic and I got the sense they wanted to iron out the little details and make sure I got what I really wanted. Final product is fantastic. I hope you enjoy it.

If you have any installation questions, just quote my post and ask... the airbag cover was a bit of a challenge.

GB17shelbyGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Kinda curious to see how they're doing an Alcantara center stripe if the top of the wheel is carbon fiber....

You cant go wrong ordering from the same place; but to be fair, my aribag cover from Carbonsteer matches the rest of the wheel just fine. The stiching is actually a different color, but they sent me samples as well, and they worked with me to get it as close as possible... if you look at it closely they look identical. So it worked out well for me...

Carbontastic's communication was fantastic and I got the sense they wanted to iron out the little details and make sure I got what I really wanted. Final product is fantastic. I hope you enjoy it.

If you have any installation questions, just quote my post and ask... the airbag cover was a bit of a challenge.
Perfect, thanks again man. Yeah we will see when it gets here. I talked to a few different companies and people use a black alcantara as well as grey alcantara which is more OEM. Carbontastic said they mainly use the black on their wheels, so that alcantara will not match or even be close to my GT350 interior. It shouldn't be a huge deal but would have rather had a grey in color. Carbontastic did recently share a picture/video of an alcantara center stripe on their carbon fiber steering wheels on their Instagram page if you'd want to see.
I'll definitely be in touch. I'll upload my pictures on IG as well when I get it.
IG
@rare_r_260

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I like the look of alcantara air bag covers but kind of nervous about putting one on.

Not from the install perspective but more from the performance aspect.

Sponsored

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
I like the look of alcantara air bag covers but kind of nervous about putting one on.

Not from the install perspective but more from the performance aspect.
You mean like how it would perform upon deploying? I thought about that, but it has stitching in the same circular pattern as the OEM airbag, around a seam that you can see if you look closely...
20220924_130948.jpg

My guess is that if the airbag deployed, that stitching would "fail" as designed and break open to release the airbag. I'm sure if you sent an email to whatever company you're thinking of buying from they could either confirm or deny this. They're usually pretty communicative.

Although I can confirm it's a bit more difficult to honk the horn...

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT

Sponsored

GB17shelbyGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)

Carbontastic sent me a teaser picture of the wheel as it currently sits in the last step, getting some quality control inspection prior to shipment. Pretty pumped, Eric at Carbon-tastic said they use a laser system to ensure the top stripe is at top dead center. I haven't quite been able to tell how the top alcantara stripe is installed. It does look to have a cutout at the top, the thickness of the Alcantara for the stripe. I should know more in a few weeks once it arrives.
IMG_20221018_230152_805.jpg

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I saw this on Steeda USA's website but looking closely at it I don't see any Pony emblem and the controls look less than what is on my GT. Am I missing something?

1666309024087.png

My car

1666309088943.png

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I saw this on Steeda USA's website but looking closely at it I don't see any Pony emblem and the controls look less than what is on my GT. Am I missing something?

1666309024087.png

My car

1666309088943.png
You’re going to swap your controls and airbag over to the new one. Pretty simple process.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
the center cap with the pony is the airbag you swap that from the old steering wheel along with the controls. i used the cj ponyparts how to video but there are others on youtube.

Reactions: MCS
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Ahhh ok so the picture is exactly the same only completely different. Lol OK good to know I’ll bookmark this as this will probably be a February or March purchase so that I can put it on the car spring time next year. She’s going in the garage in about two more weeks.
Sponsored