Sponsored

What Sedan Would You Buy Coming From a Mustang GT?

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I'm hoping my fellow GT drivers could help me with some insight into other car brands. I need to sell or trade-in my 2020 manual GT by early next year and get a sedan (sadly in automatic). I'm currently considering a Lexus IS 350 F or IS 500 if I can actually order either and also looking into Audi and BMW. My budget would be around 60-75k and would prefer to buy new, but am not opposed to a used recent model with low miles. I already know there isn't much out there that's going to pull like our GT's, performance to price just can't be beat by any other car. What sedan (brand or specific model / year) would you personally buy or recommend that would have decent power close to a 5.0 with good reliability, interior, decent handling, etc..? I've only owned JDMs and now this Mustang so I'm not that knowledgeable on other brands, but I'm for sure not buying a Toyota, Honda, or Acura.
Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I would say, as a BMW owner, try one out. We have had a 328i, 528i, and now a 640xi-GT. Great drivers, plenty of power, and comfortable to be in for hours at the time.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I know they are more than your budget new and not sure what the used market looks like for them but will through it out there anyway. When I refinanced my house earlier this year the owner of the title company actually came and did the closing at my house. He showed up in a 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing. If I remember correctly, supercharged V8 with 650ish hp. It was a beautiful car, I think they run close to $100k new, but also believe there is a lower model CT5-V that is a 6 cylinder twin turbo and cheaper.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A coworker recently got a CT4-V Blackwing and it's a really nice car....

Sponsored

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 17 F150, 00 MB C230 Kompressor
I'll second the BMW recommendation. I've owned a 3 series and an X5, and both were solid vehicles. I really liked the 3 series, it was a great car.

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
i would try to find a CTS-V. you can make them fast, they are comfy, heads/ cam sounds sweet as hell.
CTS-V is a monster as it is, but just above my budget. Do you know which year model is best or the oldest model I should settle for?

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I'll second the BMW recommendation. I've owned a 3 series and an X5, and both were solid vehicles. I really liked the 3 series, it was a great car.
Not trying to downplay BMW's, but aren't all the 3 series fairly conservative in power?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
A coworker recently got a CT4-V Blackwing and it's a really nice car....
I'm about to buy one as well. At MSRP.

BE WARNED, the 4v is a compact car, the back seats are as useless as the Mustang, just easier to throw a suit bag or stuff on the parcel shelf identifying as a back seat since it has 4 doors. If you want a real back seat then you have to buy the 5v and it's leg room is generous for an adult sitting in the back with me in the driver seat.

Otherwise the Audi S5 is an excellent choice. I have the last v8+6MT they made (2012) and it's LOVELY! But as @MAGS1 mentioned something 'trivial' like a coolant thermostat was a $1200 bill because the stupid part was $300. Got a bad part the first time around but thankfully Audi ate the entire cost of the 2nd attempt.

I can now appreciate why people dump German cars at 50,000 miles or 10 years. The original/previous owner had an Audi service plan and they sold the car as soon as it was up. Good for me, the miles were crazy low (half of typical) and he had to eat the $3000 bill to clean the carbon off the valves and head. :)

But the Kia K5/Stinger is a riot to drive and it's twin-turbo 6 has plenty of giddy'up and the trans' paddle shifters are pleasant to use. And the styling is actually GOOD unlike the recent crop of BMW.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
+1 for the CT4-V (or the 5-V if you can swing it). My parents have the 4-V and it’s a fun car. Not quite as Corolla-ish as Matt makes it sound regarding the backseat (my son is 5’11” and sat in the back fairly comfortably on the passenger side) but the 5 definitely is more spacious.

German cars are great until something breaks, then it’s time to open up the checkbook (once out of warranty). If you want more of a muscle car, check out a Charger Scat Pack. That 6.4L is a monster.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have owned several BMW sedans and they are great drivers cars. They handle well, are very comfortable for long drives and generally are very easy to feel good about driving and owning. They have one drawback and that is they run much hotter than most brands, intentionally. As a result, they have a lot of maintenance issues when you get above 50k miles.

I have also owned a couple Lexus models. They are not performance cars. They tend to under-perform their specs by a lot. Their suspension is weak and doesn't take much serious driving.

IMO, the best sedan you can buy is a Porsche Panamera.

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 17 F150, 00 MB C230 Kompressor