maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Hi all,

I need to replace my front discs (rotors) due to them being warped. I dont want to stay OE as I think there are far better alternatives. The problem I have is I'm in the UK and we seem limited on choice. I'm thinking one of these three for discs and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. Our cars come with the PP brakes. Car is never tracked.

I was thinking the below in groves or groved and dimpled:

DBA T3 4000 Series - concerns here are I've read these now be made in China? Can anyone confirm?
https://dbabrakes.co.uk/discbrakes/75561/DBA42166S

EBC
https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/bran...-front-ebc-usr-series-slotted-discs-pair.html

Mtec- issue is they state them as 356mm I'm certain discs are 380mm

Any other suggestions? Thinking around 500 dollars for the discs. Heard great things about Hawk pads, unless anyone can offer a different brand?

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored

Last edited:

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
If you aren't tracking the car, what is wrong with the stock ones?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed RayBestos slotted rotors. Very high quality for the price (all four plus pads for less than $500); they feature painted hats and a nice unique slotted design.

I wasn’t happy to learn that they are manufactured in China, but I should have assumed considering the low cost. Either way, I’m pleased with the outcome:

full.jpg

I ordered them from Summit,

-Mike

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Few reasons, noise, dust and appearance really.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Dust is mainly a pad compound thing - if you want good 'bite' when you step on the brake pedal, you're probably going to get some dust.

Chances are, your rotors aren't exactly 'warped', and it's either uneven pad deposits or rotor runout (sometimes a hub bearing issue) that's really to blame.

On Hawks, don't bother with the HPS, as they don't feel a bit better than OE and may not feel as good as the PP pads. HP+ is quite dusty and will eat your rotors at a surprising rate. Somewhere in the middle (but probably closer to the original HPS in terms of behavior) is the HPS 5.0, but I have no basis in experience to comment further

Norm

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
The OE pads are Federo, mispelled , anyway they are great pads. At least that's what my base pony uses I believe if my memory serves me.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Few reasons, noise, dust and appearance really.
I used PowerStop Z26 carbon-ceramic pads. For sure not a track pad, but a very good street pad. Decent bite (though much less than OEM), zero noise, and almost no dust. Very linear engagement—cost is great too.

Considering a pad change on the Brembos is only as tough as removing the wheels and tapping a few pins, quality ceramic or less harsh organic pads make sense for street duty. You can always get track pads in the future and swap them easily before race day.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Noise and dust are pad characteristics. I use the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads with OEM rotors and they work great.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be shocked if your stock rotors were warped. If you have a dust issue, there are some other pads which are a bit less dusty. The stock rotors are a good price for the long life and good quality.

Check out the Hawk Talon rotors if you want a slightly more expensive alternative which is slotted so they'll look cool. That said, they're not going to be any more performant than the stock rotors. For pads, I like the GLOC pads as they're a bit less dusty than the stock pads and work well. My only beef with the stock pads was the sheer amount of dust, they performed quite well.

I've heard the Hawk pad dust is kind of abrasive and etches into your wheel finish, which sounds like a pain. Stock pads and GLOC pad dust at least cleans off easily enough.

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Fronts are 100 percent warped had the car in the air and you can see how uneven l the discs are as you turn the wheels. Theres a lip about halfway around the disc with rust. Heard stock pads are ferodo ds2500 anyway. I may go ebc groves and stock pads

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Fronts are 100 percent warped had the car in the air and you can see how uneven l the discs are as you turn the wheels.
That could still be caused by excessive lateral runout (normally caused by a bad hub bearing). Or an uneven amount of corrosion between the rotor and the hub. You might still see the rotor face wobble as you spin it, but it's not rotor warpage that you're seeing (the repair industry calls it disc thickness variation, which is more general in nature). If that sounds like semantics, it's because common terminology is commonly inaccurate.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=disc+...ab1fd3578&cc=US&setlang=en-US&plvar=0&PC=HCTS

Maybe look over on brakeandfrontend.com for more information.

Norm

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
That could still be caused by excessive lateral runout (normally caused by a bad hub bearing). Or an uneven amount of corrosion between the rotor and the hub. You might still see the rotor face wobble as you spin it, but it's not rotor warpage that you're seeing (the repair industry calls it disc thickness variation, which is more general in nature). If that sounds like semantics, it's because common terminology is commonly inaccurate.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=disc+...ab1fd3578&cc=US&setlang=en-US&plvar=0&PC=HCTS

Maybe look over on brakeandfrontend.com for more information.

Norm
Now that is interesting and I will mention it to my mechanic. I know Ford checked all 4 around 5000 miles back and replaced the back right rear wheel bearing under warranty. They said at the time that was the reason behind the vibration. So if the bearing is loose or needs replacing, I assume the discs will even up over time. I might get the discs and pads anyway because I will need them at some point and if it isnt the bearing I can get him to swap there and then.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I would not expect new pads to do a very good job of "evening up" a rotor with thickness variation, or that it could even happen within only a few thousand miles.

Norm

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I would not expect new pads to do a very good job of "evening up" a rotor with thickness variation, or that it could even happen within only a few thousand miles.

Norm
Thanks Norm, appreciate the advice and help here. I spoke to my mechanic and he said he checked the bearings and they were good but will use a dial gauge when I take it back in to be 100 percent sure. He also said he may be able to skim using a machine he has.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It may be worth it to have that skim cut taken with the rotors mounted on the car, if your mechanic has that option.

Norm
Sponsored