Sponsored

What prevents Ford from releasing an identical classic Mustang?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
What really prevents them from making an exact 60's body with modern safely/features/drivetrain? Say, instead of making the GT and 2 Shelby's putting that money into an exact(as possible) 69 Mach1 that meets modern requirements? Even if in limited numbers.
Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to me Ford tried something similar with the Thunderbird. Mustang might be a different case, but not likely.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Design standards would stomp such an attempt pretty hard. Meeting appropriate bumper, pedestrian safety (wide and flat nose design), side impact standards (beltline height and airbag placement), rollover requirements (pillar size), and so on would warp it away from a 60's design and towards more modern looks.

And then there's the $$$$$$.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The bodies were not designed with crumple zones like all modern cars are they would not pass crash safety standards.

Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Aesthetics evolve as technology evolves. No way to make a "classic" muscle car with modern requirements. Their looks are tied so closely to their lean bodies and they simply can not be reproduced and meet modern standards. You can restomod to your heart's content but no manufacture is going to mass produce a throw back.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
Exactly my point, look at that compared to a actual 69', it looks like its having an allergic reaction its so bloated looking.
I actually like it . It had a little look of the early 70's fastback from the rear quarters but the front pays nice homage to the 69 front.

Sponsored

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
That's actually not the point of OP's question this car is a s197 Mustang made over to look similar to a 69 Mustang.
That's actually not the point of OP's question this car is a s197 Mustang made over to look similar to a 69 Mustang.
I thought he was asking why can't Ford make a mustang look just like a 60's. Others were saying crash zones ect. My point was on the current chassis Ford has it can be done as far as looks go or pretty close. No way do I know if that car would pass crash test just the look would work. Seems to me if a aftermarket company could pull it Ford could.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
I thought he was asking why can't Ford make a mustang look just like a 60's. Others were saying crash zones ect. My point was on the current chassis Ford has it can be done as far as looks go or pretty close. No way do I know if that car would pass crash test just the look would work. Seems to me if a aftermarket company could pull it Ford could.
Almost any thing could be done once. 3rd party companies do this work either on commission or to draw in buisness to their company. They have no intention to make more on any grand scale and certainly don't have to meet the standards a manufacturer would need to meet to market the vehicle for sale. The cost of r&d, tooling plants for limited run production would be astronomical and would have to be passed on to the cost of the car. Turning a 30k muscle car into a 90 to 150k car that will have a very narrow market appeal. No money in going backwards for manufacturers, its all about being the best of whats next because thats where the mass market appeal lies.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Check out Tom Scarpello’s Revology Mustangs...$$$$$

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford no longer owns the original classic Mustang tooling to stamp out all of the sheet metal.

The tooling, dies, die transfers, etc. used to stamp or form the sheet metal is the most expensive aspect of building any vehicle.

Daniel Carpenter (and the family) are well known in the Ford restoration business (Mustangs, TBirds, etc.) and they are an Official Licensee who owns original Ford tooling equipment and can stamp out original Ford components that retain the exact accuracy compared to overseas copy cats.

Just google Daniel or Dennis Carpenter or Carpenter Industries to find out more about original Ford tooling. They also supply many of the retail vendors those parts seen in their catalogs or online.

Also to note, many folks know of Dynacorn - granted they punch out classic car shells and sell sheet metal goods, they are not using original tooling, but are licensed by Ford to sell reproduction shells and sheet metal. The license comes with a fee paid to Ford and the ability to use the Registered Trademarks of the Ford Oval, Mustang name and have the “Officially Licensed Product” branding on their products. The same is true with other vendors selling reproduction parts.

For modern day Mustangs (ie: Fox Body), LMR (Late Model Restorarion) offers quite a bit of parts manufactured from original Ford tooling for Mustangs and Lightnings.

Dashes Direct is another vendor that owns the original Ford tooling for reproduction dash pads.

Here’s a good article about Ford and Dynacorn:
https://autoweek.com/article/sema-s...roduction-body-shell-1965-mustang-convertible

Last edited:

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
Not that I don't disagree..but they are selling a TON of mustangs right now. Why fix it if its not broke.
Sponsored