Sponsored

What perks did you have as a kid because of your parents job?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My mom worked in the admin office at the 1964-65 Worlds Fair in Queens, NY. Walked in one side of the building, said hello to my mom, and walked out into the fair. Usually right over to the Ford exhibit to see the Mustang's. A very lucky 12 year old.
Sponsored

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
My father owned an auto parts store, that also had a shop in the back.

Around 10 mom let me hang out at the 'shop'
by 12 I was tearing down air cooled dubs, and rebuilding them with the help of dad. At 16 I was doing frame off restorations.
Dad always said I was cheap labor (free), but I learned a lot.

Another perk, was my dad had a machine shop in the back, lathe, end mill, etc. I made some weird ass crap on those. And when a worker showed me how to use the buzz box..... I think I welded just about everything in the shop I could.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Ha...my parents owned 4 grocery stores; so I got to start bagging groceries at 14, sorting out chicken guts at 15, stocking the beer coolers at 16, pumping gas at 17, and running the whole dam operation at 18.

...to this day they wonder why I then joined the Army and never went back 😂

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
My mom ran a day care out of the house so I have the lasting perk of a strong immune system I think. Only other thing I can remember about the day care is no toys were sacred. My Hotwheels and Matchbox cars were used and abused except for the very few that hide secret hiding spots. I used to get so mad at the other kids.

My dad was a mechanic so when little the only perk was him getting home to whoop my ass for being a dumb kid. As I grew older, the perks started rolling in. Instead of fishing he took me to a drag strip. From like 7th grade till graduation I would go to work with him most days of the summer and help him, those were 99% good times. Graduation netted me a "mechanics special" first car that I tried my hardest to destroy...because dumb kid. Throughout young adulthood till he retired, my dad was always there showing me how to fix what I broke on my cars.

Thank you @Bikeman315 , this sparked some great childhood memories.

When I learned to do burnouts but thought tires lasted forever...came in for an oil change and once the car went up on the lift and my dad saw the cords... Even his bald spot got red and all my "friends" that worked there disappeared. That was the first lesson in buying my own car parts but it didn't suck too bad because I did burnouts like crazy for several years after. I remember feeling so betrayed by my dads co workers though. Funny how fast they made themselves scarce so dad could do some parenting. Same situation except mud happened too. Nearly identical except I was handed a 5 gallon bucket and a big flat head screwdriver and told "we aren't changing your oil till you get all this crap off the bottom of your car." Again looked around to find nobody in the shop except my dad and I.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
My Dad ran restaurants, for several different companies, then ended up running restaurants and vending operations for several different large industrial sites.

So initially - some free food at the end of the night depending. Then I got the "perk" of driving an old Chevy step van on the plant grounds (huge place - and private property since I wasn't old enough to drive legally) to refill all the vending machines.

Last edited:

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Didn’t have any perks from my parents jobs. But I did have the perk of growing up in a stable home with both parents that instilled in me a good work ethic and the value of a good education. That’s gotten me to where I am today.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
My dad was a mechanic at Kellogg's. There were always boxes of cereal that were not properly formed and subsequently got rejected off the line. Those came home to eat. I also got every toy that ever went into the cereals by the handfuls. Some promotions were really great like free packets of M&M's or coupons for free sundaes from DQ. Pop Tarts were a special treat as they didn't process them at his factory but once in a while a fork truck would go through a skid and I got some of them. Man I should be 400lbs.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Back in the seventies my uncle worked at a large integrated steel mill in Cleveland and every summer we got to go to a local amusement park (Geauga Lake) for a company picnic that were held about 4 times a summer and was sponsored by the company/union and tickets were 5 bucks for adults and kids 15 and under were free. So every year we would go to all 4 picnics.

Also that same uncle had a trucking business on the side when he was not working in the mill and he's the one who taught me how to wrench on things. And he grew up in a junkyard that his dad owned, so he knew how to fix just about anything.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Free Chrome plating, since my parents owned a plating shop.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

My dad was the maintenance coordinator at a coal mine in Gillette, WY since I was age 7, but I didn't get to cash in on it until I was 18 and away at college. He knew a lot of folks at the mine's vendors. Caterpillar was one of them. The master cylinder went out in my '78 Monza while I was at college. My Dad had me stop by a Napa store to pick up a new one, and had me drop it, and the car, by the local Caterpillar dealer / service center, where they installed it no charge.

I felt like a big dog that day.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6