Sponsored

What other cars did you consider before you decided on your Mustang?

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Well, no other brands really figured into equation at the time. I had researched the S550 platform and the Coyote motor extensively, and with the handling potential offered with a well engineered independent rear suspension and also a correspondingly well engineered front suspension, it was an easy choice...the motor was just the icing on the cake! The exterior design was also clearly a factor. Not other car in this category measures up in this regard. I still get people ogling it, and it's been in the market place for how long now...?
Sponsored

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm new here, just bought my Mustang in August.

My previous cars were a 2011 VW GTI (4dr/DSG), 2012 VW GTI (2dr/6spd), and a 2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5P. I never really wanted to give up driving something sporty, but back issues made it a necessity. When the pandemic hit, I decided I'd get a car I really enjoyed driving. With my size (6'5) sportier cars were pretty limited, and I was dead-set on getting a stick. The only other car I ended up considering was a 2020 Challenger R/T, but I've always been a Mustang guy at heart. As soon as I realized I could fit, it was off to the races.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
When I shopped for my 1st Mustang I shopped a Camaro and a Dodge Challenger. This was back in 2010 the mustang was the best of all 3 so I bought it. Now I'm on my 4th mustang straight.

Brombones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Mustang PP1
Gen 5 Viper. Still haven't ruled out having one in the future, I just love being a Mustang owner.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I had several cars on the list. Camaro SS2, BRZ, Civic Type R, BMW M2 Comp, Supra to name a few.

My limit was $50K and it had to have a manual.

Will never touch another Dodge. Too poor built and reliability. Been there, done that.

The BRZ was fun but needed work and I wanted a car to last. For the money it was good but not peppy enough.

Civic Type R was nice but the bolstering in the seats seemed too much and were too narrow. Also, I do not like 4 door cars.

WRX STi was not yet out in a new form and did not hear enough to wait. Also, my current car had the pistons replace due to engineering defect and they appeared to be acting up again. I had to get out of a ticking timebomb.

Camaro had visibility issues and wasn't as comfortable as a daily driver. Plus, the trunk was useless.

Supra came out and disappointed us all -no manual. Also, hate duck tails. They should have just put the prior gen wing and I would have loved it. But alas, no manual, no buy. Also, it was outside my price range.

M2 Comp was nice but I am not that stuffy/classy and it would have been at least $10K more. Also, it did not come with a rear wing. Love the look and the added functional benefits. The aero kit for the M2 was just too much. Also, was not very muscular in looks. I did like the smaller size.

Had a Ecoboost when my last car was hit in a parking spot while repairs were being done. Also had it for a couple weeks while on vacation. Hated the auto - hunted too much but overall I liked the car.

With all the eco this and CO2 that, I knew this would be my last chance at a V8 so I went '19 GT PP2 and have never regretted it. And of course, it has a manual....

Last edited:

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
'18 Mustang GT: Drove two on two separate occasions, both PP1, one had Active Exhaust and MagneRide. At the time, the drone between 1000-3000 RPM, alongside actually being able to afford payments on it, was enough for me to pass on it. But now that I've had some time with my EcoBoost, it'll be back on the top of my car shopping list...some time after August 2025 (unless I come across some kind of generous financial fortune before then).

'19 Sonata Hybrid (the brand new '20/'21 wasn't out when I got my EcoBoost): First car I ever test drove. Loved it, but decided against it once the recall for their engine came out.

'20 Mazda3/Mazda6: I liked the hatchback a lot, but the blind spots made it a pass. The 6 would've been my choice if the Mustang fell through the financing talks.

'19 Corolla Hatchback: Looked nice, but steering feedback felt delayed and the engine seemed underpowered.

'20 Accord: I wanted to see how the top of the class performed, and I was disappointed. Noisy ride, overly stiff steering on sport mode, and lots of rattling in the steering wheel area.

'19 Camry: Drove fine, but didn't feel the connection between car and owner. Also didn't help that the salesperson insisted on talking through the entire test drive.

'19 Forte: Car felt like it was vibrating throughout the entire test drive. But it also felt a hint more powerful than the Corolla.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I was seriously considering a Chevy Camaro SS. A friend of mine suggested that I sit in one and see how the view to the outside was. Went to a dealer, sat in one for 10 min, the view was like sitting in a tank. Went to a Ford dealer and sat in a Mustang, that made my decision right then and there.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I was seriously considering a Chevy Camaro SS. A friend of mine suggested that I sit in one and see how the view to the outside was. Went to a dealer, sat in one for 10 min, the view was like sitting in a tank. Went to a Ford dealer and sat in a Mustang, that made my decision right then and there.
Can't see the outside from the inside of a tank.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Gen 5 Viper. Still haven't ruled out having one in the future, I just love being a Mustang owner.
At my C&C on Sundays, is a real Viper enthusiast. He owns two or three.

He actually owns the car in this video;

And believe it or not, he still has the original tires on it. I yell at him about that every time I see him.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What are these "other cars" you speak of?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
My last new Mustang was over 20 years ago. Recently al BMW or Porsche...was interested in a F82 M4 but couldn't deal with the sound. They had real attractive leases for these cars as they were ending the life cycle and the newer G8X cars were just around the corner. I almost bought a BMW X2 M35i, the car was wonderful. Small 2.0 litre motor with 306hp, 0-60 in mid 4s but no manual. Then Covid hit, they were giving away Mustangs. I had a buyer for my 2013 M3 and got a great price for it (they will be classics and prices have held steady or even slightly up). Jumped into my 2020 Rapid Red 300A PP1 car 6MT and I love it.

Dave

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I only looked at the Challenger R/T. Had a deposit on one, but backed out due to dealer incompetence. Glad I did, haven't looked back.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Sure you can, they have episcopes for a reason. Plus, if a tank bumps into something, it's not the tank that gets hurt.
I meant that there isn't a windshield and passanger windows. That is significantly different compared to the optics in a tank. They're not even in the same category.
Sponsored