Sponsored

What other cars did you consider before you decided on your Mustang?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
2015 BMW M3 w/7 speed DCT
2016 Jaguar F-Type

I'm glad I didn't for both. The Mustang was a steal and in its current state would smoke both of the previous car on-track. Also, the performance gained through mods is waaay cheaper too.

Not gonna lie though, the F-Type is sexy AF and made all the right sounds. Unfortunately in it's supercharged V-8 form it's as heavy as a 4 seater Mustang.
Sponsored

Riczilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rico
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
BMW M3/M4 and Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Both the Alfa and BMW would have been used models (current generation but 4-5 years old) with higher mileage (about 50k), no warranty and at a higher price then the newer, cheaper and fully warrantied Mustang that I bought. For the price it's hard to go wrong with a Mustang.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
For the record, this isn't a Versus post. I was just wondering if anyone else was considering other cars before they chose their stang.
No!

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I sold a 1997 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 I'd had since 1999. It was needed more and more repairs and parts were tough to find. So I went car shopping.
I drove a Nissan 370Z, really liked it but too small of a car for me.
I had no interest in a Camaro or Challenger.
Seriously looked at a GT350 but decided the Mustang GT made more sense for my purposes. I wanted a summer car to drive while I could.
Drove the automatic. It was fine but I like to shift.
Drove a six speed manual and put a deposit down for a Ruby Red 2017 Premium with Performance Pack and 401a package.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Before I bought my car almost a year ago I was looking for a 2000-2004 S281 yellow convertible Saleen as I always wanted one. Had 2, 2002 yellows, but never a Saleen. I couldn't find any at the time and really neded a car so started looking at other cars. Started looking at some Ford trucks, but having had 2 Mustangs in the past I really wanted another. Almost bought a used 2017 yellow label Saleen, however it had cloth seats, analog dash, and other than the supercharger and low miles just seemed plain because it was basically a base GT. It was also lightning blue which was a color I really didn't care for. I knew I'd be kicking myself for getting a color I'm not keen on. Ended up just getting new fully loaded with everything I wanted.....except no magnaride. Couldn't find one in green with it. Green is my favorite color too and I loved the Need For Green when I saw it so win win. I was going to wait until 2020 and build my own, but then I saw Grabber Lime and was happy I bought my car when I did.

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
For me, there really wasn't any other option. I had never owned a Mustang and was at a point that I wanted to get one. I've always known that I'd buy one sooner or later and with the release of the S550's in 2015, I was hooked. I also knew I wanted a convertible. I've owned two before my Mustang ragtop. My last one was a 2004 Honda S2000, a truly great car but on the small side for someone like me at 6'2" tall. It was comfortable enough once I was in it but cramped to get in and out of. Beyond that, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

So here I am, at least 10 years past my S2000 experience and ready for another ragtop. The problem is, most of them in my price range are on the small side, like the Mazda MX5, or way above my price range like various BMW's, Audi's, etc. The Mustang is, or at least was, more reasonably priced and sized such that I didn't have to fold up like a pretzel to get in and out of the car. I made a trip to California to visit family and rented the Mustang convertible and that sealed the deal. The car was very comfortable and performed more than adequately even though it was only a V6. I finally found one used at a CarMax with all the option packages I wanted. It was only 17 months old with 6600 miles on it. It also happened to be a GT with manual tranny so that was icing on the cake but you know, I think I would have picked it up regardless of the engine and tranny combo. I've had it 2.5 years now and put a little over 35k miles on it so far and couldn't be more please.

Tex5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was actively looking for a Corvette, but when I came across my current car it was love at first sight.
20200609_195358.jpg
Challenger 392 Scat Pack. The reason I did not do it is Hemi cams get little oil when idling for a long time. Eventually will grenade the motor.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I agree with Chef jpd, I already have a Focus ST which functions as the daily-yearly driver so the S550 was the next logical choice. Never really considered much else...

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Ford get their $*it together to become a LOYAL buyer, huh??

I bought 20 new Harleys in 20 years.
Quality wasn't too bad, though.
Harley couldn't even send me a current P/A catalog.
I couldn't get the dealer to do the PDI correctly on the bikes.

Ths sales manager says; 'we have to get whoever we can to prep the bikes'.

Sorry!!!!!!!!!
^^^^
Be glad you never owned a Harkey when AMF ( Japanese ) owned them.
I had 1 and although it was at best, OK.
Still not what they became, when they "family" bought them back
Widmer was hired to do a complete evaluation. After 6 months, he wrote a 68 pg. Single spaced, summary if all the issues Harley needed to address, ir questioned why they did what they did.
It was after they lost the last of there State Highway Patrol bike contracts..
Then realized that the ORIGINAL Hard Cire ""Real bikers"", ( not the dentist/lawyers/doctors who thought um to pick up Pu$$y, )
that he real buyers who truly meant
" I'd rather push my Harley than ride my rice burner " were a dying breed, literally, and couldn't survive after loosing all the state contracts to Kawasaki mostly.

Widmer's Harley Davidson azz chewing dissertation of nearly70 pgs
( if u dont known him, he's likely smartest combustion eng- non degreed,thermodynaicist in 70s80s90s....
Owns Endyn) read like a comic book, making them look stupider than anyone thought possible. I've known Larry bout 32 yrs, & done several programs both for, and with him. He told them all the chit too fix in the 80s. & they very reluctantly and slowly git to the place he laid out for then, as they paid for the evaluation, but as usual, failed to implement his badly needed help for many yrs
So Harleys were never remotely reliable if you ride anything before the family brought it back to the states and turned it around.
Worse bikes ever for decades really..
Luckily most people who own 1 today were not even old enuff to get a license, or born yet, when the Name Harley Davidson got out from under AMF control..
So most here have no idea what those bikes were like 40 years ago. When Willie and his buddy's bought it bk from AMF, the bikes were still an oil leaking, wouldn't start after hot idling for 10 min, like a state patrolman would do, and were a 'combustion cycle' disaster of a design, both in ports, combustion chamber, and especially cam shaft. To get there patented sound.
Which can be made out loud by saying the word:
"POTATO~POTATO ~POTATO "
Said over and over, as fast as possible, by human voice, at high speed, verbally, which is what they claimed, in court even, was there trademark sound the Japs tried to steal from them.. lol. & yes, the japs did steal it from them.. so Harleys lawyers sued.. an entertaining read all its own. I never actually 'read it', cuz I lived they during it all. Bet not many here remember that ordeal either.
And I'm not even remotely a Harley guy.

Im actually Husqvarna guy, born and bread. Big bore 430s & 500 XCs,
Husky 2 strokes baby!@! CAPTAIN10 FINS,
aka, 10 Fins of Fury.
Go Big (Bore), or dont go too the Baja @ all... Period !@!
Or thru the whoops of San Felipe. Stop in um and ur shocks seize up from miles of exhausting whoops no man thought was possible by God to hav created on earth.

As for the trademark Harley deal,
It was there distinct, and trademarked sound pattern, that set them apart, they claimed...
to a judge, a distinctive sound that set them apart from ALL OTHER BIKES that were considered to be of any competition, from a sales standpoint.

Widmer got paid, to tell um how to fix there chit, but they didn't listen for yrs.

Willie (Davidson) & company , did manage to get there poop in a pile eventually,

and build the bikes that people associate the company with today.

Everyone associates them with being a great, reliable brand..as of the '90s...

Thankfully, thou, AMF did 1 thing great.. Saved the name from bankruptcy in '69, & for the next decade,
till Willie & boyz could buy it bk, only so it could be brought bk too life, eventually, as most know it to be as it is, today..

Willie actually turned it bk into a real machine, & a real product that guys wanted to own again. Including state hwy patrols.

Widmer told um how to fix it all, which any 3rd yr Thermo- engineering student
w/2.5 GPA, hut w/Widmer U got the best technology money could buy, and if they had just listened, they could hav done it all a decade sooner,

As Larry gave um the good stuff at the time.
His run w/Penske and Mark Donahue ,
(doing cyl head & eng development for Roger's Nascarteam 1st, then Indy program in '79 as I recall)
So his run & learning curve w/thise programs certainly didnt hurt,
what Harley got for advice, relatively cheap at the time, from his layout of what to do w/head, ports, cam, chambers, muti pcs crankshaft, < chuck it>
( lol, total disaster)
& ignition, & overall cam timing & spark profile.

""U can lead a hog to water, but"".......
well, u know the rest..

Anyone who does not remember the previous to 1981 disaster, & even post '81 bikes as well, which were still a cluster~phuck for yrs. Are just lucky to hav not burned up cash buying them..

Those people who DO NOT KNOW THE HISTORY OF THESE MACHINES, ARE much better off.
Not even knowing, or much less, not having spent any of there hard earned money on them.

How many guys you know who brag about owning < today> there late 70s or early 80s AMF built hog,
they restored and ride a lot......
UMM..NONE.. LOL
My '77 AMF Harley was a TOTAL pcs of Chit, and although I was the only kid in my school (not college, The school long before that kinda school)
to hav a hog, "a nappy 1 @ that",
I got no more chicks w/it than w/o it.
.. TOTAL pcs of junk & NEARLY company went nearly bankrupt..
...then saved by AMF in '69, & still junk, only to come bk to life by '90s,
To eventually live out a real
Cinderella story comeback.
Nuff said.

Sponsored

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost

Sorry!!!!!!!!!
"Ford get their $*it together to become a LOYAL buyer, huh??"

Sorry!!!!!!!!!

Yes. A loyal buyer. When I typed that, I am solely referring to my experience as a buyer and owner. This thread is about what other cars people have considered before they bought their mustang. I will take a wild guess/assumption that if you considered other cars that youre not a LOYAL mustang buyer (meaning mustang after mustang after mustang..mustang here, mustang there).
Mustang = Ford, so Ford buyer.
Yes, no manufacturer / car is free of issues, some more than others. People have discussed here about the AC evap defect, that of which I was affected at around 65k miles, thankfully it was covered by the extended warranty I had bought to begin with when I purchased my car.
I had a service advisor (not sales) tell me one time that he highly recommend people to buy the extended warranties, not exclusive to the mustang but overall Ford.

Again, speaking for myself, I would be a loyal mustang buyer.

Outlawtorn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
2017 Camaro 1LE, 6 speed.... It was selling for less than what I paid for a 2020 Stang but no regrets... Camaro great track weapon, but as I use my Stang for work purposes I felt the 1LE was a bit of an overkill.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
F150 to be practical. Bought one and the wife loved it so much I gave it to her and then bought a Mustang GT for me... which is what I really wanted.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I made my choice and confirmed the Mustang the winner right off. Then went to the only other 3 car manufactures I would ever consider making a purchase from, GM, Dodge & Jeep.

Played with the web build your own sites, that I found to be really a cool way to look into the future .

You see do not need to be sold shit, smart enough to make those decision . Looking over the various performance models and how I could outfit them.

Gave the Jeep truck a look. Walked under powered, uglier in person then on paper. The roof canvas or plastic was a real gag me with a spoon moment. Another being the stupid, engine auto shut down and restart at every red light.

Going full circle off to Ford, ordered the Mustang. To be clear I never liked the Mustang.

However over the last few years, the new body style, OHC, 4 valve aluminum power plaint, was/is irresistible.

Now sits outside for my entertainment. Great little HotRod this Mustang is, I can tell you that.

Last edited:

DogNPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Royal Crimson, 2019 Bolt EV LT
I had seriously considered:
Cadillac ATS-V
Chevy SS Sedan
Jaguar F-Type Coupe
Genesis G70
I was looking for something more practical than my Porsche Cayman. Also, something less expensive to maintain and repair. Whatever it was going to be, it had to have a manual transmission and RWD.
Sponsored