What oil for supercharged car?

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
reviving this thread. I have a 2018 GT with a Whipple 3.0 and being the new owner with 7600 miles on her, I plan to do a fresh oil change this weekend.
So, as stated, the manual says 5w20 for 'normal GT applications'.
Many prefer 30w for spirited driving and better piece of mind I suppose.
I cant seem to find where Whipple says to run 5w50, but now plenty in this thread and others suggest the same thing?

I am in NH where the temperature gets far different than the southern US, but she will be parked for the Fall/Winter of course. I mainly drive around town and you know, hammer here and there. I am looking for long term health for this Coyote motor with the associated Whipple mods.

Any and ALL help is welcomed in regards to oil preference and filter preference.
Thank you!
Sponsored

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
previous owner did not provide it :(

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
If you're not racing, 5w30. If you do race the car, 5w50.

Sponsored

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I found the manual online. As you mentioned, Whipple says run 5w50 with this application.
With that said, I mostly drive it around town and lets be honest, it's meant to RIP, not just 'putt putt' to the grocery store. I wouldn't be hard on it, but I plan to have some nice pulls and hit the twisty roads a bit here and there.

Can you shed some light on the big difference between running the 30 over he 50, or visa versa please?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The 50 weight will have a thicker oil film and less chance of metal-on-metal contact, especially at elevated temperatures. Keep in mind that elevated temps can happen on a microscopic level in the load zone of a bearing, cam lobe, or ring, so the oil temp gauge won’t tell you if it’s happening.

30 weight will return better fuel economy.

As I’ve stated before, I use 5w-40 as a compromise for a few reasons. It’s an A3/B4 oil which is a high performance spec with a high TBN, >3.5 HTHS, and high ZDDP concentration.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Wow. A lot of letters and numbers there; you certainly know your stuff. Great insight on essentially where and when oil temps can become high (not just where the gauge will
Read them).
What do you run for an oil filter?

Are you Boosted and running the 40w oil then? Where are you located?

the previous owner mentioned running 5w50 Mobile 1, along with Ceratac? I’m not sure what he meant by that unless it was some typo. Is that some sort of oil additive to help with lubrications or am I way off base?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
What do you run for an oil filter?
Ford Racing M-6731-FL820

I use this one because of the heavier weight oil - it has substantially more filter media because it's physically a much larger filter.

The 5W50 will provide better protection once oil temps start to really climb under heavy load. 5W20 is an economy oil meant for fuel economy while providing a baseline protection for everyday driving and not suited for forced induction. On the Ford ecoboost engines they use 5w30 for this reason. And most Mustangs that get FI kits use the power frequently and so 5w50 is recommended for the protection at elevated temperatures and pressures.

I think that Motorcraft 5w50 is a decent oil. I use Catrol Edge 5w50 personally for the extra zinc content.

Most importantly for engine life is the startup/driving procedure IMO. Start the car, let it get the oil circulating for 30 seconds or so, then start driving to get some heat into the oil. Keep out of the throttle until the oil is over 160*. Letting it idle while the oil is cold leads to excess wear. WOT while the oil is cold leads to excess wear. No oil will protect you under these scenarios.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Awesome AWESOME. Thank you for the part # and detailed oil information. So very helpful.

coolant. I see the inter cooler reservoir and Ford 5.0 reservoir seem to run the same coolant. Suggestions on that?

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I just run the oem motorcraft filter.

Yes, I run pennzoil platinum euro 5w-40 and Whipple supercharged. Located in Louisiana.

Mobil1 5w50 is a solid choice. If I used a 5w50 that would probably be my first choice. It is also an ACEA A3/B4 oil and potentially contains PAO base oil. However, I would not add ceratec. The additive packages in motor oils as supplied are carefully balanced to obtain target properties. Tribologists will tell you the additives actually compete for surface area so adding more can throw off the balance. Also, whatever certifications (A3/B4, SN, WSS for example) obtained go out the window when you tamper with the formulation. That’s just me though.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I run the 5w50.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
So I’m going to go with the same then. Been reading a lot and the previous owner has been running 5w50 Mobile 1 in this car with the Whipple, so I will stick with that and the Motorcraft filter.

Luv2gofst666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russel
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp1
Very helpful post . Some very smart and helpful comments Thanks guys

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I can assure you many cars run the Mobil 1 without any problems. It is the factory fill for all C7 Corvettes to include the supercharged ones.

So I’m going to go with the same then. Been reading a lot and the previous owner has been running 5w50 Mobile 1 in this car with the Whipple, so I will stick with that and the Motorcraft filter.
Sponsored