Sponsored

What mods can I do without getting in warranty trouble?

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
My 13 V6 had a few warranty issues that needed fixed. They never gave me any grief. I had a CAI, exhaust, and lowering springs. The biggest one was when my axel seals started leaking. I thought it could have been extra stress due to the lowering springs and aftermarket wheels. They fixed it, no questions asked. The invoice was $1500 since it required removal of the entire rear brake assembly and axels.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Vert
The most visible thing I'm thinking of doing is the Roush intake (for the sound mostly). I'm going to try the GT catback exhaust and if it isn't loud enough maybe muffler delete. I just don't want them assuming that if I bring it in for a problem it happened because I drive the car abusively simply because they see a couple bolt-ons.

5SS0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kais
Vehicle(s)
15 Triple Yellow Cyclone AT & 15 Silver Coyote MT
This is all pointless because it all depends on the dealer. Some are okay with mods and others are not. My friend went in for an oil change or something simple like that and the dealer put all the mods he had on his record. So it all depends on the dealer. Yes the law says they have to prove that the part caused a failure but the dealer will do their best to void the warranty if you give them a reason and that's why I said it can be a hassle. But in terms of risk I would say the safest thing to do is an exhaust and drop in filter (safe), then intake (some dealers are fine with it but some are not I've heard stories where they used the intake as a reason to void engine warranty), then tune (most dealers are not tune friendly so it's the least safe).

OP
OP

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Vert
Yeah but as others have said what the law says and what they can mostly get away with are two different things. They know most people either can't or won't take them to court and even if they do it won't be an easy win. It's basically your word versus their "expert" factory trained mechanic saying your mods caused a failure or whatever. It would be easy for a Judge to look at it like "why would anyone know better about the car than Ford itself", even if that isn't actually the case.

5SS0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kais
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but as others have said what the law says and what they can mostly get away with are two different things. They know most people either can't or won't take them to court and even if they do it won't be an easy win. It's basically your word versus their "expert" factory trained mechanic saying your mods caused a failure or whatever. It would be easy for a Judge to look at it like "why would anyone know better about the car than Ford itself", even if that isn't actually the case.
Exactly. That's what I meant. And even if you win the argument at the end it's gonna be after months of hassles and headaches and I don't want any of that. Besides like I said I'm very happy with my car (first Mustang I've ever owned so the power is more than enough for me for now). And honestly I don't know about 1/4 but in terms of 0-60 I see all these numbers with so many mods including a tune and I get the same numbers with just a catback and drop in filter so I'm not so sure these mods make a significant difference. After the warranty is out then I can do whatever I want including a supercharger or turbo :D

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
mpt tune makes it a whole different car...just sayin lol

5SS0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kais
Vehicle(s)
mpt tune makes it a whole different car...just sayin lol
Yea lately I've been reading that MPT tune is the best tune available for the Cyclone so enjoy it man :thumbsup: but personally it's either I go all out and forget about warranty or I don't and stick with basic mods (no in-between) because I get 0-60 in 5.3 seconds so the only way it would be worth it for me is if this goes down to 0-60 in 4.5 and MPT tune on its own will not do that. I think the highest I've seen for the Cyclone is 0-60 in 4.6 and the guy has shit load of mods lol.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
I tried 2 different 93 tuner's and sent both back for refunds, so I had to turn my stang back to stock. While waiting for my new SCTx4 for a few days I drive it I went crazy the acceleration was so lame, I couldn't wait to get my new tunes and program the ECU.

5SS0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kais
Vehicle(s)
I tried 2 different 93 tuner's and sent both back for refunds, so I had to turn my stang back to stock. While waiting for my new SCTx4 for a few days I drive it I went crazy the acceleration was so lame, I couldn't wait to get my new tunes and program the ECU.
To each their own. There are many factors that could make the acceleration vary from one car to another (wheels and tires for example) but I'm satisfied with the acceleration for now and 0-60 in 5.3 seconds with only a catback and drop in filter so can't complain but yea to each their own. It's not a Lamborghini acceleration but I still enjoy it every time I drive and that's what matters (my city MPG is at 12-13 MPG these days so that gives you an idea of how much I'm enjoying it lol). Although my car does sound almost like an older Lamborghini Gallardo with the Gibson catback lol gotta love the Cyclone :D

Ponycar2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guar Metallic V6 w 051A pkg and 6spd manual
Literally just ask your Ford shop. Mine said a mod would be okay if it wasn't ridiculous like cranking it up 50% more than the engine designed but 20% was okay but I don't believe them. Id get it in whirring before I actually did it

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustangc GT with Performance Pack 1, 10 speed auto
Hi guys. This is my first Ford that I've owned and thought about doing a couple of mods to. I've had other cars with quite a few bolt-ons and never had problems getting a warranty claim done. Some of the research I've done here has made me uneasy because it seems to me like Ford is less friendly about mods on your car than other manufacturers? I have a 7 year 100k mile Ford premium warranty and I'd prefer not to have any issues with it. I'm thinking I'd like to do intake and exhaust at least... do you guys think in general I'll have any trouble getting warranty work done with those items on the car? The only other thing I'd love to do is the MPT tune but what I've read here about tunes it seems like basically if you get caught with one you're done and I can admit I see why they would do it that way. Have any of you been denied a claim or worse had your warranty voided for intake, header or exhaust type stuff?
Same here, i have a sweet warranty lined up with the car and want to keep it. I asked the dealership about going with a Roush exhaust system... they said as long as the CATS stay on, Im good. however, they also advised having the dealership (Roush dealership) install it so the exhaust install is done correctly on their terms and warranty validated.

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
You can get a warranty denied for any reason pretty much. You'll probably be fine with a CAI or exhaust, a tune will definitely void it.
I was denied my catalytic converters being replaced on the grounds the my AXLEBACKS had something to do with them failing.
Sponsored