What makes a Boss 302 special?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Sorry, but apostrophes don’t mean plural. They mean possessive.

Always have, but misused more often than not.
I can confirm this is true as I have a useless BA English degree.

Currently in school for an MBA degree in Finance because I suck at long hand calculus.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
When the S550 was in development, one of the goals was for the GT to perform at least as well as the Boss 302, and the engine incorporated many of the updates and lessons learned from the Boss engine to become the gen2 coyote.
And was precisely why I ordered my '15 GTPP, knowing it would be a very good car....

A '13 Boss would be the only S197 I'd go back to. I never fell in love with my '07 GT500, and liked my '09 Bullitt better - shame that car didn't get the Coyote.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
ANDDDDDD, The others drivers risk level he/she is willing to take, Not everyone has it in them to push a car to it's limits or a little over it. Many slowly work up to it a little more lap after lap. Others have no plans on taking it to that point, So unless it is an event that sponsors are footing the bills and carnage, you'll never know if it was car ,driver or just ones willingness to throw his/her car into the corner harder.
The guy/gal that has to work a lot to have that car is less willing to wad it up than the guy/gal that writing a check for a replacement is pocket change.
Yeah, this, plus any number of other reasons, so you don't know why the others on the track are there - they might be testing out new equipment or something, and not want to push it until they know how it performs.

That goes for YouTube videos too. A while back someone posted a video on another forum of an S2000 going around Nürburgring and passing a bunch of cars, saying it showed how much better it was than other cars. The thing was, you could time it, and it took it well over 9 minutes to get around, so it was not particularly fast in that video.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Sorry, but apostrophes don’t mean plural. They mean possessive.

Always have, but misused more often than not.
Yes I understand an apostrophe is supposed to mean to possessive, however the context of the statement I was referring to was indicating the guy had owned more than one B302, so while it wasn't proper use of the apostrophe, the "s" indicated plural and that's all I was trying to clarify to the OP. My bad for including the apostrophe in my explanation of the statement, I should have simply said "s" for plural. Just wanted the OP to know that post wasn't referring to a special B302S model as he asked about after someone else had mentioned "B302's" in their post.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, this, plus any number of other reasons, so you don't know why the others on the track are there - they might be testing out new equipment or something, and not want to push it until they know how it performs.

That goes for YouTube videos too. A while back someone posted a video on another forum of an S2000 going around Nürburgring and passing a bunch of cars, saying it showed how much better it was than other cars. The thing was, you could time it, and it took it well over 9 minutes to get around, so it was not particularly fast in that video.
Spoke to the guy afterwords and the Type R. BOSS302 was stock and Type R had some bolt ons. I tend to talk to people in my group.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I understand an apostrophe is supposed to mean to possessive, however the context of the statement I was referring to was indicating the guy had owned more than one B302, so while it wasn't proper use of the apostrophe, the "s" indicated plural and that's all I was trying to clarify to the OP. My bad for including the apostrophe in my explanation of the statement, I should have simply said "s" for plural. Just wanted the OP to know that post wasn't referring to a special B302S model as he asked about after someone else had mentioned "B302's" in their post.
B302Ss'

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
That means almost nothing as far as the cars are concerned. Track performance is 99% on the driver.

A pro driver in a Corolla can pass a novice driver in a GT2RS. That tells us very little regarding the performance potential of those 2 cars.
i passed a Ferrari F430 once at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. something tells me he wasnt pushing his car 100% :cwl:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What makes a Boss 302 special? I'd say the biggest things are styling, the name, suspension tuning, side pipe exhaust and the engine. The engine especially is pretty great from what I understand.

Ford specifically said that the 2015 base GT was faster around a road course than the Boss. But raw speed is less important in my opinion than the feeling a car gives you when you drive it. Some really fast cars have been compared to playing video games. No fun as the car does too much of the work for you. I've never owned a Boss, but I've wanted one for a while. If you watch reviews on YouTube most owners rave about them.

The other thing special about the Boss is literally the Boss is special. They were limited production so they tend to retain their value a lot better.

i passed a Ferrari F430 once at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. something tells me he wasnt pushing his car 100% :cwl:
F430s aren't that much faster than Mustangs. I'm pretty sure the GT350 is significantly faster around a road course than an F430. I drove an F430 Scuderia on track at Dream Racing and I was surprised at how little grip it had - especially the front end. It really understeered a lot.

But you are right about a Ferrari owner probably not pushing his car 100%. Seems like a safe bet.

Sponsored

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
I got passed by a Miata.
i had a very skilled driver in an older (70's im guessing?) Alfa Romeo GTV hanging on me extraordinarily well. i would absolutely walk away from him on any decent straight but he was always right there behind me when we got to slower areas with more curves. 2 very different vehicles but 2 very different levels of driver skill as well. makes a huge difference as you presumably witnessed with the miata.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i had a very skilled driver in an older (70's im guessing?) Alfa Romeo GTV hanging on me extraordinarily well. i would absolutely walk away from him on any decent straight but he was always right there behind me when we got to slower areas with more curves. 2 very different vehicles but 2 very different levels of driver skill as well. makes a huge difference as you presumably witnessed with the miata.
Usually I don't get passed by Miatas. I generally pass them and I am a consistent driver as my karting times are pretty consistent as well. He passed me effortlessly. The only thing I could notice is significantly less roll and sway compared to others.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
When I took my performance driving class at Pacific Raceway in Seattle the instructor said a Miata held the course record for a production car at that track. The only place you could really use the cars power was when you were on the dragstrip part of the course, the rest was all how fast could you get through the corners.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I took my performance driving class at Pacific Raceway in Seattle the instructor said a Miata held the course record for a production car at that track. The only place you could really use the cars power was when you were on the dragstrip part of the course, the rest was all how fast could you get through the corners.
I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Surely not a stock Miata.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Surely not a stock Miata.
Not positive about that. But the guy driving it would make a big difference. Don Kitch is the chief instructor and he probably has more laps around that place then anyone. One thing I remember was him telling us to do the perfect lap around the track you only turn the steering wheel 8 times for a track that has 9 corners.

Whenever he took a passenger for a fast lap he'd use a Miata even though the school also had Lotuses. The class I took we used out own cars.
Sponsored