Sponsored

What made you order or buy a new Mustang?

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I got mine new because I wanted it new. Tbh used cars are good but idk who drove it before me what they did to it. Idk how they broke it in what they did in the car etc.... tbh life’s short can’t worry about depreciation on everything. Don’t get something drastically beyond your budget but fuck it don’t settle for a used car because it’s cheaper.

I drive my car almost everyday because I love it and never once thought about depreciation. Nevertheless mustang prices right now are astronomical. I paid 41k for my 2018 gt in 2018 and right now if I got another one w the same options it’s 54 -55k which is crazy

*not a financial advisor*
Sponsored

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Always wanted to buy a new convertible. Sold my 1965 Mustang coupe two years prior and I was done with project cars in general. Was about to order a 17' until we saw the announcement of the 18 so we waited a year and saved up a bit more. Wife and I were sold on the Royal Crimson color when we saw it in person. I had a very specific list of options that I wanted on it.

I didn't care about taking a depreciation hit for buying a new car. I don't ever plan on selling it and I think long term in almost everything I buy. Mine is parked in the garage and only gets driven on nice days. Wife has her car and my daily driver is a company car. I'm only about 4,500 miles on my Mustang. Yeah, she is a garage queen and sits a lot. Only taken out on nice days and has never been rained on.

I absolutely love the look and design of the car. I got a bad feeling Ford is gonna do soemthing a bit radical with the next generation of Mustangs to attract the younger crowd.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
I decided to buy a new Mustang for a couple reasons. First, after driving turbo charged BMWs for a lot of years, I wanted something with a little more presence. Something that stood out and got noticed. The deep growl of American Muscle Cars is appealing to me so I wanted a change. Specifically however, the Mustang was my choice over the others for the following reasons:

Camaro - Nice cars but outdated and boring.

Dodge - Well, it is a Dodge which I have always felt were cheaply made and do not stand up well over time. I also do not like the primarily straight body style of the Challenger and the Charger, while better has 2 extra doors that I do not need/want.

Corvette - I am 57 years old and the Mustang is hard enough to get in and out of. The Vette is beautiful but very tight. Also, the price is more than I think it is worth.

Mustang - Has all the power and handling that I like (although doesn't handle like the BMW), but the power and sound are awesome. I really like the rear end of these cars, how the back bulges out on the sides and looks really tough. Outside of the Vette, I don't think the other cars have the same Mystique/History of being a top end performance car like the Mustang.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Sports/muscle cars, Atv’s, and UTV’s usually get used hard by their previous owners. So I buy new unless I know the previous owner and how they maintained and treated it.
I could not agree more. The same applies to pick-up trucks.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ended up buying mine used with 1500 miles. When I got to the dealership (BMW) I looked the car over carefully and could tell it had been well maintained. The dealership knew the owner from past BMW purchases and said that he treats his cars very well. I found the original owners kit in the trunk with the guys name on it. Ended up connecting with him on linked in and an hour later was on the phone with him. Turns out he works for a german engineering firm in their automotive division. Followed the break in procedure, etc. So no worries here. If you do your homework and can find out more about the previous owner that is a plus. Private party sales are great for this too.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
In one word?
Wait, now it’s going to 10 words.
OK, so no it’s now gonna be 18 words.
Dammit, I can’t catch up,
So in 25 words: EXHAUST…!

OCD Disclaimer
OCD’ers counted the words!

Last edited:

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
1st Mustang was a Triple yellow 2016 5.0 as a reward once I got back from my 3rd overseas deployment. I was done working on old busted junk. I was sick of working as a mechanic then working on my own vehicles.

I wanted to just put gas in it and drive the crap out of it.

My 2016 got a CJ manifold, E85 tune, and Roush Exhaust.

God I miss that car. But Im on my 3rd now and have a loaded 2020 Kona Blue A10 PP1 car.

This ones mostly stock just X pipe, Sub, wheels and tires.

Really for now it doesnt need much. Boost next year. (Wife got new house this year)

Zero regrets on any of the 3 S550s Ive bought new.

20200812_143415.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Short and simple. For those that ordered or bought a new Mustang (or any vehicle), what compelled you to buy new instead of used?

I am youngish and was told to buy used to save money. I spent a lot less on a three year old with 36k miles.
I didn't buy a new vehicle until I was in my mid-40s, but you received good advice. From a financial standpoint it's never wise to buy new. Especially a car like a Mustang that depreciates like a rock. Having said that, I bought two new Mustangs in the last 7 years. The reason why? Flat plane crank V8 with a manual transmission in the Shelby GT350. I absolutely had to have one.
I went so far as to buy a new 2015 GT to let my local dealership know that I really wanted to be first in line for the 2016 GT350 when they became available. And I was able to buy the GT350 in November of 2015. Awesome car. Definitely the best car I ever owned. I really want to own another someday.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And received 0 warranty. And no 0% financing.

NoVa is the cheapest area in the world to buy Mustangs. You can expect several thousand off sticker most of the time. Then you wait until there's 0%, and you're in the green as you drive off the lot.

And then you're paying no interest, no concerns about the health of the vehicle, a full 3/36 warranty, it's brand new, and you're not buying someone else's problem-child.
You usually get a warranty with a vehicle that's a couple years old. Just so you know.

But I agree there are some potential upsides to buying new, even though it wastes a lot of money.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I bought my new Mustang because I had been lying to myself. I have always owned sport cars and four wheel drives most of my life. Three years ago at 64 I sold my Tundra and bought a Genesis G80. Nice luxury car with every option, great ride, quiet etc. Cruise into retirement. Boring! I kept thinking of the 68 Mustang I had, 70 AMX, C5 Corvette. I test drove a 20 GT last year and fell in love with it. Heard about the Mach 1 coming out and thought this is it. I started pricing them in March and finally found a dealer that would go $1K under msrp. Ordered March 16th and after a month and a half of no info from the dealer or Ford I started getting worried that the chip shortage hit me. I got a text on the 24th from a salesman I had priced a Mach 1 back in March. He said my car is here. I thought it was a joke. Called and the sales manager there had ordered my car unbeknown to me. I immediately canceled my original order, pissed off the general manager of that dealership.So this dealer was 140 miles from me so called around looking for a rental I could leave there and no luck. So I rented a Uhaul moving truck and drove down there and got my "Miracle Car". It was dumb luck I have my Mach 1 today and I love it more every time I drive it.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You usually get a warranty with a vehicle that's a couple years old. Just so you know.

But I agree there are some potential upsides to buying new, even though it wastes a lot of money.
It wastes no money when you buy super cheap. I've had 0 negative equity with my Mustang purchases here in NoVa.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I'm a very particular guy. I order exactly what I want and wait for it. I haven't always had the luxury to do it this way but while I can, I will. If we talk financial efficiency, I would think constantly buying the single owner couple year old car is easily the way to go.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It wastes no money when you buy super cheap. I've had 0 negative equity with my Mustang purchases here in NoVa.
Do you have bridges and swamp land for sale too?

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
1623596905011.png

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Do you have bridges and swamp land for sale too?
No.

What seems unbelievable to you, is standard stuff in this area.
Sponsored