Sponsored

What made you order or buy a new Mustang?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
WIth the crazy car market it sometimes makes sense to buy new over used. It all depends what you are looking for and the quantity available. The zero percent financing and rebates on new can also swing the financial decision for new.
Sponsored

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
Bought a new 2020 SB GT350R last summer, at the height of the pandemic. Always wanted a GT350R since it first came out in 2015, but couldn't afford it then. Plus there were rumors back then that 2020 was the final year of production. Since no one was buying new cars back then (how ironic a year later), I got it under MSRP and got a great deal on my 16' Charger Hellcat. Bought the GT350R new to make sure it was broken in properly, didn't trust used. I wanted the Voodoo and the whole car/package is incredible and everything I ever hoped for.

Last edited:
Reactions: lew

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
For me I had just retired last June and I thought it was a good time to sell my 2015 EB and replace it with a new GT. As it turned out I couldn't find what I wanted so I ordered a MY21.

fljab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I've bought plenty of new and used, but like new because of the reliability and can get what I want. Not that you can't find good used, but I am picky about options and colors. I have a '21 GT Premium on order and my dealer has very good deals on new, so WTH, I can afford it and went that way.

This will be my 5th Mustang, and one of the first 4 was special ordered also. One was used, the other 2 new off the lot.

My vices aren't sex, drugs, or alcohol, but cars and travel. I'd rather have a new Mustang my way versus other options in life.

But you're right, used is definitely better cost wise, just be careful in which one you get, have it inspected, do your research, etc. It's easy to get burnt with problem cars, but also can get some very good cars for much less $$$.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
Short and simple. For those that ordered or bought a new Mustang (or any vehicle), what compelled you to buy new instead of used?

I am youngish and was told to buy used to save money. I spent a lot less on a three year old with 36k miles.
Honestly, I read through a lot of these forums before I bought to see what people were having issues with. What I found was that a lot of Mustang owners track their cars or drive them with more spirit than I would want my car to be driven. I did not feel like I wanted to get a car that had been driven on the track so I thought the only way to be sure would be to buy new.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I read through a lot of these forums before I bought to see what people were having issues with. What I found was that a lot of Mustang owners track their cars or drive them with more spirit than I would want my car to be driven. I did not feel like I wanted to get a car that had been driven on the track so I thought the only way to be sure would be to buy new.
Tracking a sports car does not 100% of the time mean it's been beaten on or in bad shape. I understand your hesitation, but some track guys really take better care of their vehicles than some who daily it. If it's occasional track use that is another story as well.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Sport bikes are same way, I used to track my bikes etc. rode them hard. But I always used the best oils I could, proper maintenance etc. my last gsxr had double the mileage of my friends babied gsxr but he neglected and used cheap products, not to mention he rode his clutch I think. He had a slip clutch, rider error, but his engine had a tap noise. ran fine but no thanks.

After that I only buy new bikes, I won’t buy used, just because I worry they used bottom barrel oils and maintenance stuff skimped on.

That said, I got top dollar for my gsxr. Upgraded to a thousand Gsxs, for comfort reasons

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
Tracking a sports car does not 100% of the time mean it's been beaten on or in bad shape. I understand your hesitation, but some track guys really take better care of their vehicles than some who daily it. If it's occasional track use that is another story as well.
I get that. I am admittedly not well educated on the long term affects of racing a car. My instincts tell me that I don’t want to take a chance.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
d cheap products, not to mention he rode his clutch I think. He had a slip clutch, rider error, but his engine had a tap noise. ran fine but no thanks.
atleast with a new car, you can only blame yourself if something wasn't taken care of preventive maintenance.

Treefrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium
What's the answer to 99 out of 100 questions?

Money.

I can afford a new one. I also drive 5k miles a year, so buying a car with 36k is a lot to me.

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I was shopping for a 60's muscle car and ended up with my 350. I am not a Mustang guy at all and wouldn't own anything other than the 350.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my 18 GTPP new because I wanted a specific color and spec, and I could afford it. When that car got totaled, I decided to get a Shelby, and found a used one in the color that I wanted with only 2K miles on it for significantly cheaper than I could purchase a new one, so I picked it up.

Used or new, get what you can afford. Most of the cars that I've bought over my lifetime have been used.

Kevindust

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 401A PP2 Active Exhaust, 2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade manual, 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
I usually buy used vehicles but I bought my 2016 Tacoma and my latest Mustang new because there was essentially no cost savings to buying used over new.

When I was shopping for a used Tacoma in the Fall of 2015, 2-3 year old trucks in the spec I wanted were selling for $35-36K and interest on a used truck was 7.9% Instead, I ordered a new 2016 at $2K off MSRP for $37,825 with 3.9% interest. Since I bought from a dealer, I was also able to do a convenience trade in deal on my 2008 Tacoma, which saved me $2K in sales tax. In this case, the 2016 was a new generation with a significantly better interior, way more amenities and a 17.8% bump in horsepower. The Tacoma is consistently in the top three list of lowest depreciation among any vehicles. The value of my truck hasn't dipped below $30K since I bought it 5.5 years ago and now it's worth about what I paid for it.

When I was looking at Mustangs in Sep 2019, my mandatory requirements were the 3rd gen Coyote with a manual and Performance Pack but I was mostly interested in a Bullitt (i.e. loaded 401A PP1) or a 401A PP2. At the time, the only used PP2 within 500 kms of me was listed at $50K and used Bullitts were priced at $55K. MSRP on a Bullitt was $60K and Ford had $5K in rebates. MSRP on a new PP2 was $60K but Ford had $10K in rebates and 0.99% interest. Both of my preferred PP2 colour combinations were sitting on dealer lots near me. It was a no-brainer to buy new.

It will be interesting to see were the values go for the PP2, it was only available for two model years here in Canada. It seems to be rarer than a Bullitt. My car hasn't depreciated in the 8 months that I've owned it but obviously the used market is crazy right now.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Except for a '96 Cadillac STS, all of our front line vehicles have been purchased new. We tend to drive them until they drop, so the price savings buying used vs new is not that great, and we get exactly what we want with a warranty.

We also tend to fully finance with zero down. We actually make money this way due to our gains in the market. This is the last month of payments on my Mustang, and we once gain be debt free.

The F250 we still have with 240k on it.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I've driven German cars for a long time, mainly for economy and reliability. Then, I got tired of them, and bought an American Muscle, Mustang.

To me it's like this that happens in real life: You eat chicken and fish all the time to be healthy. Then, you get sick of it, and go back to eating steaks, ribs and go Winn Dixie beef man all the way.
Sponsored