Sponsored

What made you order or buy a new Mustang?

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I believe you should try and buy one big ticket item brand new, in life. Whether it's a car, a motorcycle, a boat, or a house. If you are able, you should buy something like that brand new at least one time. Just the luxury of having something that nobody else has had before you, and knowing exactly what it's life is like with you and nobody else is an amazing feeling. Also, no matter what, buying something used is always a compromise. Maybe it is low mileage but has scratches. Or it's perfect condition but doesn't have the seats you really wanted. Or maybe it's cheap but needs work. Or maybe this, and that - there is always something. Being able to skirt all that by getting something new exactly the way you want it, is a bucket list item for many people
Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I was looking for a low mileage used one, but was looking on the Ford website one morning and found a left over new one at a nearby dealership. I went to look at it and they couldn't find it. Long story short, that dealership has three locations and the car was originally delivered to the wrong location. That location moved the car back to their holding yard where the car was forgotten about, it sat there for over a year. Once I asked about it they looked into and found where the car was, since they already cleared out what they thought was the last of the 2019's and had lots of 2020's in stock they didn't want it on the lot so they gave me a price too low to say no to. I paid $2000 - 3000 more than what I would have paid for a used one. Easy decision to buy new when the prices were so close.

jimroth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Convertible 401A P8F Rapid Red
I have usually been a 36K miles coming off lease kind of buyer. I was promising myself a Mustang Convertible for a long time, so I treated myself to a new one. I wanted a color besides black or grey, and a manual, and could not find one of those used, or for that matter in dealer stock. So I got exactly what I wanted!
134EFF53-CA94-4315-AEE4-0A615EC31CA6.jpeg

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Mustang # 5 for me.....

1. 2005 Mustang GT Vortech Supercharged
2. 2011 Mustang GT Roush Supercharged
3. 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
4. 2011 Mustang GT
5. 2021 Mustang GT

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Short and simple. For those that ordered or bought a new Mustang (or any vehicle), what compelled you to buy new instead of used?

I am youngish and was told to buy used to save money. I spent a lot less on a three year old with 36k miles.
Absolutely great advice about not going into debt for a car; for a home, maybe, but not a car. Enjoy your youth and such; I worked for over 44 years in my career and now that my 5 kids are grown and almost all are out of the house, I finally got my GT that I've dreamed about for years. Of course, the ones I dreamed about decades ago aren't anywhere near as fast and powerful as the current GT (which even outperforms some Shelbys from decades ago). I might be old & retired, but still young enough to handle the power on this car and it's fun. Prior to this all I had mostly were minivans and economical hatchbacks that were great on gas. I have to say though, that the economy on the GT is darned good for the power it has. I've averaged about 19 mpg overall which is great considering that my last Mustang ('71 Mach 1 with the base 2V-302 engine) only gave me about 14 mpg and had nowhere near the acceleration of the new ones.

Sponsored

SN8KBTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HE, 2022 ZR2 Silverado, 2023 Acura MDX
Hopefully you ordered or bought a new mustang because it was something you wanted because life is short!

1972_todd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Fusion Titanium, 20' Mustang GT Premium
I was planning to buy used. My last two cars were used, let someone else take the depreciation hit. I changed my mind while researching Mustangs. Most people heavily modify mustangs. Drive the hell out of em. Then take off all the mods to sell without the dealer or private buyer truly knowing what the car has been through. You can find good single owners out there with fairly stock cars, but it's slim and I wasn't willing to chance it with my GT dream.:wink:

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I have always bought new, but Mustangs with Coyote engines are so demonstrably rugged that I gladly bought a used 2015 GT with less than 5K on her, and have not been in the least disappointed. I spent the difference between a new one and this "used" one on mods, including a Procharger supercharger, and see it as the best investment I ever made.

Would I apply the same logic to most other makes and models out there? Doubt it.

EvilPeppard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, Rapid Red, PP1, 6 sp, MagnaRide
The short answer, we wanted new so we'd know the history of how the vehicle was taken care of, less the 140 miles that were already on the car when we bought it from the dealer. No telling how a used Mustang was taken care of, but I can guess.

This is our third Mustang now. We ordered the last two. This one was exactly how we would have ordered it, and we just got lucky enough one was sitting at the dealer for 60 days till we were ready to pull the trigger. We paid cash for it too, so no payments; been there, done that enough over the years.

We also used to be a three car family. Two daily drivers, and a 'toy'. Ever since COVID hit last year, our schedules changed along with the rest of the world, and we realized we didn't really need three vehicles any longer. Both my wife and I work remotely the majority of the time now, and the days we do have to go in are opposite of each other, or we'll just car pool, if the weather is inclimate here in Colorado.

We just sold our 1956 Chevy and made a nice profit. We just sold our 2018 F150 Platinum since the used vehicle market (especially trucks here in Colorado and most places) is through the roof. We made more money on our truck from the dealer than we paid for it back in 2018. We then paid cash for the Mustang, and kept our 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (also paid off), so we are set!

That said, if you can only afford a used Mustang, go for it. A used Mustang is better than no Mustang!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2017 Ford Edge, "21 Mach 1 Ordered"
Since I was 17, I have owned a Mustang on and off through the years. My first one was a 1966 Coupe that I bought from my Brother-in-Law. I was in High School and the girls' loved it! Over the years, I have owned another 66 Coupe, a 64 1/2 Convertible, an 89 GT and a 2008 California Special which was my last Mustang. I have since retired and decided after paying off my current truck and wife's car I needed a "hobby" car. So I convinced my wife that I was bored with retirement and needed something to do! I ordered my Mach 1 on April 28th! The wait continues....

Sponsored

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
I've owned and driven a lot of cars....while I know there are faster/better cars...etc...etc... we all know how that goes.

There's something about the look/feel/sound....the overall experience that for me, the Mustang delivers.

For me, my GT500 delivers in every way, if I were to win the lottery tomorrow, I cannot say that there is another car that I would choose over it. Are there better/faster cars? Sure however, after owning and driving so many other cars (I've been lucky enough to drive a lot of exotics as well, including some on the track from friends who own them) the Mustang seems to be the one which I always gravitate towards over and over.

Topdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Os
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Gt Convertible 2021 (TBA)
First time to be Mustang owner, im on the train right now on the way to the dealer to pick it up about 3 hour trip to a country dealer where i got a great deal.

Why the 'stang? Well life's to short at 58 ive got many medical ailments i need something to put a smile on my face before i get my medical results back. Gonna enjoy the scenic trip back this afternoon.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you should try and buy one big ticket item brand new, in life. Whether it's a car, a motorcycle, a boat, or a house. If you are able, you should buy something like that brand new at least one time. Just the luxury of having something that nobody else has had before you, and knowing exactly what it's life is like with you and nobody else is an amazing feeling. Also, no matter what, buying something used is always a compromise. Maybe it is low mileage but has scratches. Or it's perfect condition but doesn't have the seats you really wanted. Or maybe it's cheap but needs work. Or maybe this, and that - there is always something. Being able to skirt all that by getting something new exactly the way you want it, is a bucket list item for many people
I havnt had expensive stuff, but I did buy a 2013 Scion tC brand new, it was cheaper than used due to rebates etc. then a brand new 2013 gsxr 750 motorcycle, then a brand new 2018 gsxs1000, then a brand new 2017 mustang in 2019.

they seem to last great, and I know ive done everything to them, so if something happens, I can blame myself but atleast I know it was my own fault and not someone else's doing.

plus, cars, I do not smoke. most used cars, that ive looked at was all smokers and had that smell. my home, I had 1 criteria that was not negotiable, a non smoking household. I had to pass several, could tell had smokers living there. but I found one owned for 37 years by same couple who did not smoke.

im sensitive to the smell/hurts my eyes even its weird. allergy to smoke

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I almost had one the way I would have ordered it.
New off the lot, still in limbo on that, but taking that mess off the table.
I'd buy new or order it for these reasons.
Performance vehicles that are 2-3 years old. Were ridden hard and put away wet. I.E. drive it like you stole it.
As the owner or lease holder, knew they be moving on before it need any service and if it did it was under warranty.
So they beat it like it owed them money.
Yes driving off a lot with a new vehicle, you take a big hit.
But because, I plan on owning whatever I end up with for a decade or more, knowing it's history of service and care more than make up for that first year wallop in value.
This is also why I want the vehicle the way I want it. not a close match. As I will be living with it for a long time.
Sometimes the only way to get what you want is order it, as finding it on on a lot just comes up empty.
Back when the 3rd gen f body and fox mustang were new cars. dealers had tons of them to pick from.
Even before covid. cars are not big sellers, and 2 door cars even less so. So finding what you want on the lot is a lot harder.
Local dealers going 75 miles in any direction. have only a few unit in stock. most are base cars, or converts. or Shelby's.
work truck white cars or black cars, more than a few.
I've had black cars, before. I'm over it. Those that owned or own a black car, know what I mean.
Worse part is it seems most of the performance vehicles, the oem's decided in 2021 to offer only blah, colors.
rental fleet, white, black, silver, a fancy names gray that looks like high build primer with clear sprayed over it, almost petty blue, a navy like blue, an orange, a bland yellow, and arrest me red, or a mid red metallic.
The camaro, and mazda mx5 are no better.
You can have any interior color you want as long as it is black, or black on black, or a dark blue that is almost black, or black, with blindingly bright red, or in mazda's case. White leather. mopar offers a tan and black. but again most of it is black.
For vehicles that will mostly be used in good weather. black interior would not be my first choice. but the oem's say tuff.
Anyone that has got into a black vinyl or leather seat car with shorts and a tee shirt. knows what fun that can be.
I guess, if you always run your a/c it not an issue.
but.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
For me it was I bought a new 2019 F150 xlt sport 5.0 for quite a large rebate and the covid hit. A friend of mine works at the dealer and called me asking if I would be interested in trading in my 5 month old truck, if not it's worth at least looking into. They gave me $43k on a truck I paid $38.5k for 5 months earlier. I'd never had a Mustang, though I have had several sports cars. I test drove my car, a 301a PP1, and a iconic silver 400a pp1. The only thing that 400a car had that mine doesn't that I wanted was active exhaust, I don't like leather interior so that aspect wasn't a plus for me, so the cheaper car was the better choice. All said and done my payment is slightly less than the truck because the car was rebated too, paid $39k for my GT that stickered at $45k. I don't regret it, and for the first time I actually do think I'll be keeping this one.
Sponsored